Buying Windows from Amazon?

Found 18th May 2017
I am thinking of buying a PC online that doesn't come with Windows. On Amazon there is someone selling Windows 10 Pro Activation Keys for £5.74. This sounds too good to be true but it is the #1 ranked in operating systems on Amazon.
Has anyone bought Windows from there?
Is it legit?
Will I be able to install it on a brand new PC & how?
As much information as possible will be great helping me deciding whether to buy a PC that comes with no operating system or not.
Community Updates
16 Comments
Might smash
You will have to create a start up. See link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

What ypu are buying is a OEM key, not retail but its fine
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
MAdam98

Might smash

That was my first thought
I've bought around 10 of these cheap Win 10 Pro keys on ebay for £3-4, all have worked perfectly.
They are legal and legit, just unused OEM keys.
Original Poster
ame2607

You will have to create a start up. See link - … You will have to create a start up. See link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISOWhat ypu are buying is a OEM key, not retail but its fine

Thanks.
Edited by: "mukor" 19th May 2017
Original Poster
jukkie

I've bought around 10 of these cheap Win 10 Pro keys on ebay for £3-4, … I've bought around 10 of these cheap Win 10 Pro keys on ebay for £3-4, all have worked perfectly.They are legal and legit, just unused OEM keys.

How long do the keys last before you have to use them? If I buy one now and my PC doesn't come for a week or 2 will it still work?
just google windows oem keys or download windows key generator. i havent paid for any windows since 1998..
ame2607

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions … OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

They're also only usable for personal use with Windows 8. Microsoft's website has a page on what you need if you're installing windows for your own use here:

dpcenter.microsoft.com/en/…use

EDIT: The cheap PCs without OS generally work out far more expensive if you want windows, so I'd look for one with Windows included.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th May 2017
Banned
blimey, i thought you could buy double glaze windows from amazon then !!
iwashere2000

blimey, i thought you could buy double glaze windows from amazon then !!

You can:
amazon.co.uk/s/r…zed
Full Windows is a complete rip off. And likely the 80-100 quid you pay for a PC builder to get you Windows is an oem key anyway. Never buying Windows again as part of a PC purchase unless it comes with for free
gowf

Full Windows is a complete rip off.

For a core component that's no less essential to basic functionality than a CPU or motherboard? I'd say £80 is a reasonable price. Many buyers will spend more money than that on other individual components, it's cheaper than an i3 processor.

gowf

And likely the 80-100 quid you pay for a PC builder to get you Windows is … And likely the 80-100 quid you pay for a PC builder to get you Windows is an oem key anyway. Never buying Windows again as part of a PC purchase unless it comes with for free

Yeah, if you don't mind a bit of extra work in installing Windows yourself then for the same cash you can have Microsoft technical support and the ability to transfer windows to another machine. You do wonder why so few small system builders offer the option of a retail version.
mukor

How long do the keys last before you have to use them? If I buy one now … How long do the keys last before you have to use them? If I buy one now and my PC doesn't come for a week or 2 will it still work?

It will be fine, you can wait a long as you want before using the key.
gadger100

just google windows oem keys or download windows key generator. i havent … just google windows oem keys or download windows key generator. i havent paid for any windows since 1998..

Download a key generator?
No thanks, I'd rather pay £4 and activate with a geniune license key...
jukkie

Download a key generator?No thanks, I'd rather pay £4 and activate with a … Download a key generator?No thanks, I'd rather pay £4 and activate with a geniune license key...

​more fool you then....FOOL!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions