Buzzing dimmer switches

Is it possible to get dimmer switches that don't buzz? We had these in our old house (fitted by qualified electrican). Now in new house and all teh dimmer switches buzz too. Is this usual or bad workmanship or bad switches? Also I have a one part (with dimmer) of a 2 way switch right by my head when I lay in bed which buzzes loudly. I was pretty thick to start with - do you think sleeping near the buzz is frying my brain too? This is a serious question!

19 Comments

I'll be interested to hear what people say about this because mine buzz too, you are not alone.

I think that they all do this to an extent.

same here

Mine buzzes unless it's on full!

I believe it's something to do with grouding, I had to take out all the buzzers in my house because it was interfering with some audio-recording equipment.

Ours buzzes because we have an energy saving lightbulb in it, i think there is something about not useing them with dimmer switches?! maybe its that

Original Poster

masterruckus;2126323

Ours buzzes because we have an energy saving lightbulb in it, i think … Ours buzzes because we have an energy saving lightbulb in it, i think there is something about not useing them with dimmer switches?! maybe its that

mine are not energy saving and they still buzz - so annoying

mine buzz too

and every house Ive ever worked on with dimmers buzz

diynot.com/for…924

aparantly if the buzzing is coming from the bulb its the filament vibrating so a new bulb might help?! if its the actual dimmer then im not sure!! lol

ooh. Mine don't buzz - maybe I'm doing something wrong!! lol

hannah19790;2126444

ooh. Mine don't buzz - maybe I'm doing something wrong!! lol

give it a kick, or put a wasp in there

yep mine buzzes 2

Banned

If you stand next to a sub station it buzzes and hums, its because it is being rammed with electricity and then down sizing the electricity to the required amount (voltage and upping the amps?). Same thing in your dimmer switches except it's downsizing the watts, though you may find if you buy a more expensive higher quality dimmer it won't buzz.

It could be the light fitting you have is not suitable for dimmer switches. Our last one buzzed (although only 1 out of a 2 switch dimmer) and we replaced them because we got the bedroom done. Didnt realise until it was up that it says in really small print on the instructions 'not suitable for use with dimmer switches'.

The electrician said it is fine as long as you put it on full straight away, but if you dont it could wreck the transmitter. Even if you put it on full though it buzzes a bit, the other dimmer doesnt buzz when the other light is turned on

Ours buzzed and it didnt have energy saving bulbs.. its to do with the way the dimmer works afaik

Banned

Go for Crabtree ones if you're bothered about the noise as they seem to be less buzzy comapred to others.

Expensive though.

We have Lutron dimmer pads in our house and they don't buzz. They cost about £70 each though!

masterruckus;2126466

give it a kick, or put a wasp in there

Just given it a kick - done the job - many thanks x lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1224
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764103
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17396138
    4. Sad news about Barcelona2186

See more discussions