'By Miles' car insurance

Posted 5th Jul 2019
Thoughts?

Great concept for low-mileage drivers like myself. Gets great reviews. Nothing not to love that I can see. Initial premium well over 2x cheaper than the next best and the estimate based on my annual estimate (which is higher than it'll actually be) still brings it in at 30% cheaper overall.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

18 Comments
@miles136 has left the building

The description/opening comment of this thread could probably benefit from a hyperlink so we can read the same information for some background.

Regarding the business model for the insurance premium, though, is this one of the schemes where you are limited to a specific quantity of miles per month or per annum, & your insurance premium greatly increases once that limit is breached?

Some may find that they price themselves out of using their vehicle because of unexpected travel that has increased the annual total beyond the anticipated/agreed threshold, & the vehicle then just sits dormant for the remainder of the year with the driver forced to find alternate transport.
I looked at this too, don't they stick a box in the car and monitor your driving too, or am I just being paranoid? In my own car I did just over 5k miles last year according to my mot. I'll do even less this year.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 5th Jul 2019
deleted1781205/07/2019 11:07

...Some may find that they price themselves out of using their vehicle …...Some may find that they price themselves out of using their vehicle because of unexpected travel that has increased the annual total beyond the anticipated/agreed threshold, & the vehicle then just sits dormant for the remainder of the year with the driver forced to find alternate transport.

Annual road-risks + F&T charged annually upfront; distance fees calculated & charged monthly in arrears. No miles in one month Under 30p worth of miles in one month = no monthly mileage fees (literally written off); 1000 miles in one month = 1000 x per unit rate that month. Max daily distance fee = 150 x per unit rate regardless of number of miles on that day. Annual chargeable cap at 10,000 miles regardless of the number of miles in XS of 10k.
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 5th Jul 2019
STRICKIBHOY05/07/2019 11:21

I looked at this too, don't they stick a box in the car and monitor your …I looked at this too, don't they stick a box in the car and monitor your driving too, or am I just being paranoid? In my own car I did just over 5k miles last year according to my mot. I'll do even less this year.

Box records distance & location, not driving style (allegedly): "...By Miles policies are ‘pay as you drive’ not ‘how you drive’, so they only use the distance you drive to price your insurance. That means they won’t use when or how you drive to change your insurance cost..." moneysupermarket.com/car…es/
deleted1471098

I looked at this too, don't they stick a box in the car and monitor your …I looked at this too, don't they stick a box in the car and monitor your driving too, or am I just being paranoid? In my own car I did just over 5k miles last year according to my mot. I'll do even less this year.

My misses didn’t even do 1k miles this year whereas I’ve done 20k
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 5th Jul 2019
deleted147109805/07/2019 13:16

My missus didn't do 1k of driving either. I drive for a living going the coaches, i can be on tours for days and the car sits in work doing nothing. On days off I really can't be bothered driving my own car plus everything apart from work is local to me.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 5th Jul 2019
I'm with Sky Insurance, I find them to be the cheapest for the kind of car I always buy which are performance.
I do pretty low miles maybes 2-4k a year but always say 5k to be safe. I've only done 450miles since I got my car 10 weeks ago today.
One of my mates does about 40k a year a think he said, he's constantly up and down the country
I Joined By Miles in april this year. I looked around when my renewal arrived and was double last years premiun.
Just as its was due I moved from the countryside to a London postcode and then it doubled again.
Best part of £1200 Im over 45 clean licence and driving record with 10 NCB and do 3000 miles a year.
I could not get a quote as my car has an issue with its OBD2 port location.
On a Peugeot 5008 Its in the glove box and when tracker is fitted the glovebox will not close.

After talking to By Miles and explaining that if they supplied an extension cable with the tracker all would be fine.
They then gave me a quote of £170.00 a year and 3.2p a mile.( I added Legal cover on top of quote for £30.00 )
They also gave me £20.00 of free miles, I still have £11.00 of credit 3 months later.

If you use a By miles members car reg in the discount code box you get £50.00 of free miles each when you take out the insurance.

I would give them 10 out of 10.

Yes you install a miles tracker into the OBD2 port on your car and leave it there.
Once you drive of it tracks you speed ( Max speed for the journey ) and distance.
Also if you look at the app it shows where you have been and where your car is.
I know big brother.
What the hell your mobile does the same thing also.
One good point is they cap the daily milage charge to 150 miles.
I did a round trip to blackpool 270 miles each way on the same day so only cost £4.80.
Not £17.28.
I do about 3k miles a year but put 5 anyway, when I looked at this company a few months ago, even putting 3k was at least 50% more than I currently pay and I'd have to be tracked. Might be worth it in some circumstances but wasn't for me.
dcx_badass05/07/2019 17:39

I do about 3k miles a year but put 5 anyway, when I looked at this company …I do about 3k miles a year but put 5 anyway, when I looked at this company a few months ago, even putting 3k was at least 50% more than I currently pay and I'd have to be tracked. Might be worth it in some circumstances but wasn't for me.

Its a case by case as is all insurance.
Look on trustpilot one guy went from £2000 to £500 for his wifes car.
75% saving for me £900.
bigwheels05/07/2019 16:01

Yes you install a miles tracker into the OBD2 port on your car and leave …Yes you install a miles tracker into the OBD2 port on your car and leave it there.Once you drive of it tracks you speed ( Max speed for the journey ) and distance.Also if you look at the app it shows where you have been and where your car is.I know big brother.What the hell your mobile does the same thing also.

So if you have no OBD2 port they wont insure you I guess.
harlzter05/07/2019 17:57

So if you have no OBD2 port they wont insure you I guess.

That’s right.
I think from memory that in 2002 all cars onwards had an OBD2 port.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 5th Jul 2019
This is what the app shows, credit in the tankand statements38002289-YFIgn.jpg
Edited by: "bigwheels" 5th Jul 2019
deleted147109805/07/2019 13:16

My misses does about 100 miles a year and it has saved her a lot of money. Didn't get any kind of promotional credit at the start like others though. Upfront was £300 though so little higher than others. Wonder if you have to pay the same upfront the next year if you stay with them
Just looking at this now as my renewal is due
the.porter25/10/2019 17:07

Just looking at this now as my renewal is due

If you're low mileage do it. I rate them A+ and I'm a tough critic. There's simply nothing not to like when you drive as little as I do. Couldn't be happier!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants