Groups

Byebye Cyanogen

Explains why Wiley Foxes have been so cheap recently perhaps....

mashable.com/201…yfp

23 Comments

And everybody be like...

'Who dat??'

Hmm...not happy, just bought a wileyfox a few months ago which runs on cyanogen.

their own worst enemy

Original Poster

bigweapon07

And everybody be like...'Who dat??'

Not on hukd... Known for being a good alternate OS on here

Original Poster

madridpaid_the_referee

Hmm...not happy, just bought a wileyfox a few months ago which runs on … Hmm...not happy, just bought a wileyfox a few months ago which runs on cyanogen.

No more updates...

espirit77

No more updates...

Wonder what one plus will do

When one door closes, Another door opens.

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

License Android... What else can they do...

Original Poster

shauneco

When one door closes, Another door opens.

Or, in a market owned by giants, the consumer loses ( through lack of choice / price pressure)

espirit77

License Android... What else can they do...

It goes against everything One Plus stand for to licence google tho. I suspect another contender will pop up very quickly.

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

It goes against everything One Plus stand for to licence google tho. I … It goes against everything One Plus stand for to licence google tho. I suspect another contender will pop up very quickly.

symbian? X)

AStonedRaichu

OnePlus have been running their own 'OxygenOS' for a while haven't they after cyanogen pulled a fast one on them.

Will mean my OnePlus One won't be getting anymore updates though unless i switch to OxygenOS.

matt3454

OnePlus have been running their own 'OxygenOS' for a while haven't they … OnePlus have been running their own 'OxygenOS' for a while haven't they after cyanogen pulled a fast one on them. Will mean my OnePlus One won't be getting anymore updates though unless i switch to OxygenOS.

No idea I'm not upto date I ain't had one since the first device

Original Poster

matt3454

OnePlus have been running their own 'OxygenOS' for a while haven't they … OnePlus have been running their own 'OxygenOS' for a while haven't they after cyanogen pulled a fast one on them. Will mean my OnePlus One won't be getting anymore updates though unless i switch to OxygenOS.

Makes sense, own OS equals more control

AStonedRaichu

Use whatever this grows up to be I expect:

The team has assured its community of eight years and thousands of … The team has assured its community of eight years and thousands of contributors that it will produce a new fork of the CyanogenMod software, push pending patches and start an open source project of their own called "Lineage".

Apparently lineage is is taking over link

barrel24

Apparently lineage is is taking over link

That's Cyanogenmod. It has no bearing on phones running Cyanogen OS - which is effectively a different OS. Cyanogen OS is the legit, unrooted version that works with Android Pay, banking apps and other apps that use encrypted or DRM material; Cyanogenmod is what people fairly tech savvy tinkerers tend to put on their phones when devs stop supporting their handset.

It is likely that Wileyfox will be bringing their own OTA updates via another development fork and customers won't have to hack an insecure recovery partition onto their device (and break Android Pay etc) just to get updates for their new devices, as they would with Lineage.

All this means is that Cyanogenmod (the dev community OS) will be developed by another group, with the servers being moved to be under their ownership.

Lets hope somebody else steps in and picks up the slack, LineageOS is meant to be it's direct replacement. Anybody know of phones other than moto and google that provide a clean bloatware free OS?
    Edited by: "mogsog" 30th Dec 2016

mogsog

Anybody know of phones other than moto and google that provide a clean … Anybody know of phones other than moto and google that provide a clean bloatware free OS?

One+

Krooner

One+

One+ uses Oxygen OS I think..

haritori

One+ uses Oxygen OS I think..

It does indeed, but it's still pretty much stock android. A "clean bloatware free OS", which is what was asked...

Krooner

It does indeed, but it's still pretty much stock android. A "clean … It does indeed, but it's still pretty much stock android. A "clean bloatware free OS", which is what was asked...

Ahh right, sorry I was thinking he wanted stock. TBH I didnt knwo exactly what Oxygen was over Android Stock.

haritori

Ahh right, sorry I was thinking he wanted stock. TBH I didnt knwo exactly … Ahh right, sorry I was thinking he wanted stock. TBH I didnt knwo exactly what Oxygen was over Android Stock.

It's to android what lineage or Cyanogen were really. Slight tweaked but mostly stock.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1224
      2. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News77
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767523
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1631

See more discussions