Cable Management

Found 31st Dec 2017
What does everyone else do with the heaps of cables behind their tv units?

I have a TV unit which is on legs, so you can see the bottom underneath clearly. I've tried pinning cables to the back but they either fall down or feel squashed!

Any tips?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
22 Comments
Zip ties and the cardboard tubes from the centre of kitchen rolls.
Tie cables together with string. Don't use tape or zip ties as a pain to adjust if needed. Cardboard painted to match room or a sample of wallpaper over the cardboard looks best. That's about all you can do
Edited by: "wayners" 31st Dec 2017
I've used cable tidy kits in the past but can be a chore when swapping out equipment etc
32956620-XeFH1.jpg
Original Poster
I was looking at a cable tidy box, but it's £17?!
amazon.co.uk/s/?…p28

Insert cables through split corrugated conduit, still visible but slightly tidier than seeing multiple cables..

32956652-A95RL.jpg
Sonofclara4 m ago

I've used cable tidy kits in the past but can be a chore when swapping out …I've used cable tidy kits in the past but can be a chore when swapping out equipment etc[Image]

Beat me to it
B&Q £8
alternatively, hang a piece of fishing wire from the ceiling and keep the wires off the floor that way.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 31st Dec 2017
Original Poster
Toptrumpet22 m ago

B&Q £8alternatively, hang a piece of fishing wire from the ceiling and …B&Q £8alternatively, hang a piece of fishing wire from the ceiling and keep the wires off the floor that way.

Yeh that's what I was looking at, but I'll need the bigger size which is £17. Is it a bit of a rip off?
superfreddy16 m ago

Yeh that's what I was looking at, but I'll need the bigger size which is … Yeh that's what I was looking at, but I'll need the bigger size which is £17. Is it a bit of a rip off?

Well worth it IMO, I have a couple of these.
Original Poster
AirbusA3801 m ago

Well worth it IMO, I have a couple of these.

Can I see how you have it set up please?
What about this large one in white 415mm x 165mm on eBay ?
ideally what colour and size would be best?
What cables are you talking about, power or HDMI?
Original Poster
kester7610 m ago

What cables are you talking about, power or HDMI?

Power cables
Yeh I just use the twist cable ties that come with the actual cables or even kids toys holding them to the box etc
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 31st Dec 2017
superfreddy2 h, 39 m ago

Can I see how you have it set up please?

I’m not currently home, if you want I’ll send you a picture tomorrow?
superfreddy1 h, 36 m ago

Power cables

Just buy a large box to hold the Power extension lead and any cable excess. You can cut holes in the back to run the cables out into a conduit that runs up the wall to the TV.

I've a similar issue with my PC which I'm just going to build a long foot rest and put the power extension and cables inside. Which is a lot of cables with 3x monitors, Speakers, Mouse, Keyboard, lighting, VR interface, PC server and main PC power cables.

Something like this would be ideal

32958395-eP5jS.jpg

Most of the devices you will be plugging in will have decent rated cables and low power draw so overheating cables shouldn't be an issue. You can also buy an extension lead that has USB power connections on to save on sockets.
Original Poster
I bought the cable box mentioned above. Homebase had them reduced from £17 to £11!
Original Poster
AirbusA38022 m ago

I’m not currently home, if you want I’ll send you a picture tomorrow?

It's ok, I bought one today!
Well don’t leave us hanging!
uploada picture - at least then we can all sleep at night
superfreddy1 h, 3 m ago

It's ok, I bought one today!

Make sure your extension lead fits in the d-line box as they come in different sizes and mine wouldn't take a long 6 way easily.
Original Poster
kester761 m ago

Make sure your extension lead fits in the d-line box as they come in …Make sure your extension lead fits in the d-line box as they come in different sizes and mine wouldn't take a long 6 way easily.

Yeh I went for the large one. It's definitely done the job and looks so much better. Thanks everyone
If you think behind your TV is bad for cables......you should have a look in the back of a network cabinet in a datacenter... .

we use these when rack mounting kit in Datacenters..

amazon.co.uk/Reu…2SN

Much better than cables ties for tidying cables
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants