Found 7th Oct 2016
Can anyone recommend the best app for blocking spam calls, preferably completely blocking them, not just diverting to voicemail?

I've done a little research on google, there are plenty of options but none of them seem to be any better than okay. I know some phones allow you to do this directly through your settings but I'm pretty sure my Xperia Z3 doesn't. Ideally I'd like to be able to go into my call log and tap an icon to block the number.

25 Comments

Try ''truecaller'' app, I find it works quite well

Doesn't android have a call blocker built in?

should i answer is awesome. my favourite

Derby_Lad

Try thishttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncme.syncmeapp

Many thanks.

jackvdbuk

should i answer is awesome. my favourite

I agree it's the best one.

Mikeygolfgt

Doesn't android have a call blocker built in?

I think so (of sorts) - here's what I do when I get the rare unsolicited calls - I add them to a contact called Block all the calls to Block go immediately to Voicemail - I haven't yet had a voicemail from someone I didn't want.

Banned

Android has a built in block calls/sms feature.

Here's where it is:

https://s11.postimg.org/uzhm1agg3/Screenshot_20161007_190600.png

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

Android has a built in block calls/sms feature.Here's where it is:

How do you get to that screen, I can't see any of the 5 options on the image?

Original Poster

philphil61

I think so (of sorts) - here's what I do when I get the rare unsolicited … I think so (of sorts) - here's what I do when I get the rare unsolicited calls - I add them to a contact called Block all the calls to Block go immediately to Voicemail - I haven't yet had a voicemail from someone I didn't want.

I did consider that but would rather they be totally blocked. When I've manually rejected calls I know are junk, a few of pre-recorded message ones have left voicemail messages.

android may have one built in , but a good feature of should I answer is it can auto block community rated bad numbers. so many junk calls have been blocked and ignored thanks to this

Yes Android has one built in and I use it, I used an app before but found the built in one better, you just block the number yourself after they call which is better than the apps as they block numbers which could be bank etc. I've been getting calls everyday 3 times min.arghhh

Original Poster

MR1123

Yes Android has one built in and I use it, I used an app before but found … Yes Android has one built in and I use it, I used an app before but found the built in one better, you just block the number yourself after they call which is better than the apps as they block numbers which could be bank etc. I've been getting calls everyday 3 times min.arghhh

Not all versions of android do, mine's lollipop which apparently doesn't

Miui rom has it built in with community type flags for certain types of call as well

True caller is excellent. You can set it to simply show you or automatically block anything on their spam database.

Banned

S

spoo

How do you get to that screen, I can't see any of the 5 options on the … How do you get to that screen, I can't see any of the 5 options on the image?

Settings in top right corner.

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

SSettings in top right corner.

Not on mine, I think we must have different versions of Android.

Banned

Hope this helps:

https://s14.postimg.org/w99qqbfbh/image.png

https://s14.postimg.org/5ph5o6erx/image.png

https://s14.postimg.org/j7o20gqx9/image.png

https://s14.postimg.org/qox9foggd/image.png

deegeetwelve

Try ''truecaller'' app, I find it works quite well

​I use this also. It's especially good If you're in the mood to mess with the caller as it'll tell you who's calling!

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

Hope this helps:

We definitely have different version of android, my equivalent of that screen is called messaging, not messages and the the settings option is hidden behind the 3 vertical dots icon, not 'more' as on your version.

When looking for a solution before posting here I found a few sites which stated some versions of android have a call blocker built in but not all of them, I think it may have been standard on earlier versions, then removed and now it's been added back in as a feature.

Thanks to everyone who's responded, especially WD for taking the to add screenshots, I'll try truecaller as that's had a few recommendations.

Edited by: "spoo" 9th Oct 2016

true caller

Original Poster

Update on this, I downloaded truecaller and it seems to work pretty well, there is the occasional ad but they're not excessive.

One feature it does have which I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing is it tells you the number of some mobiles calling you even if they're not saved in your contacts. I think it extracts the contact lists of other truecaller users to match numbers to names.

It does but you can opt out of that

spoo

Update on this, I downloaded truecaller and it seems to work pretty well, … Update on this, I downloaded truecaller and it seems to work pretty well, there is the occasional ad but they're not excessive.One feature it does have which I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing is it tells you the number of some mobiles calling you even if they're not saved in your contacts. I think it extracts the contact lists of other truecaller users to match numbers to names.

Mr Number is also a good one too, it has a built in list that is regularly updated with the most popular spam and fake call numbers, as well as being able to add your own. If it's any help I've not had any ad's using it and it can even block withheld numbers too.
Edited by: "ittom" 20th Oct 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!913
    2. Linkin Park and Friends Celebrate Life in Honor of Chester Bennington strea…66
    3. word association Game74244932
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604829

See more discussions