Groups

Calling all Blackberry users...

I just have a coupla questions about BB before I invest in one.

Rep for help

35 Comments

are you going to post the questions or let us guess?

Original Poster

1. If I'm on Pay as you Go, and have 500Mb of internet, would that be sufficient to cover the data costs of the BB (I'm a fairly light user), or would I need more (or an alternative data package).

2. Is BBM independent of the internet usage.

3. Do Blackberry's have a keypad security lock, or something similar (Messages/data lock)?

Any other advice would be appreciated

I can't even get MMS on mine as I refuse to pay for a BB contract and O2 won't send me the settings for the internet usage. Useless bloody thing :lol:

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6678722

are you going to post the questions or let us guess?

Your too quick for me!

Get an iPhone instead:p

Original Poster

Phychlone;6678768

Get an iPhone instead:p

Haha I'm not a big fan!

Besides I need to make use of the BBM facility ;-)

1. yes
    2. no
    3. yes (full password lock)

Original Poster

jacko7;6678803

1. yes2. no3. yes (full password lock)

2. Is BBM independent of the internet usage.

No?

So does that mean when you use BBM, your using internet data?

Original Poster

Shengis;6678749

I can't even get MMS on mine as I refuse to pay for a BB contract and O2 … I can't even get MMS on mine as I refuse to pay for a BB contract and O2 won't send me the settings for the internet usage. Useless bloody thing :lol:

So is MMS the only thing your deprived of? Can you use all the other features? (internet/e-mail)

Original Poster

Also model recommendations are welcome. I'm leaning towards the Curve 8520 :thumbsup:

Ive got the curve 8900 and refused to pay for the BB service (just the unlimited data plan) so they said i wouldnt recieve mms, internet and of course email. i begged to differ.
    I got the phone, the internet worked from day one alongside MMS...and i managed to get my emails as well by using google mail app and setting up mail forwarding on my email account!

The curve 8900 has a key lock on the top and also a full password lock, but when you place the phone in its special little cover you cant push any keys anyways.

hdizzle;6678835

So is MMS the only thing your deprived of? Can you use all the other … So is MMS the only thing your deprived of? Can you use all the other features? (internet/e-mail)

All I can get is SMS and phone calls. Can't even connect to my own wifi for some reason, although I know it does work as i've used it with a different router on BT.

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;6679179

Ive got the curve 8900 and refused to pay for the BB service (just the … Ive got the curve 8900 and refused to pay for the BB service (just the unlimited data plan) so they said i wouldnt recieve mms, internet and of course email. i begged to differ.I got the phone, the internet worked from day one alongside MMS...and i managed to get my emails as well by using google mail app and setting up mail forwarding on my email account!The curve 8900 has a key lock on the top and also a full password lock, but when you place the phone in its special little cover you cant push any keys anyways.

Good on you :thumbsup:

I'm just worried that if I get it, all those useful features (which I'm buying it for in the first place) won't work...

Original Poster

Shengis;6679253

All I can get is SMS and phone calls. Can't even connect to my own wifi … All I can get is SMS and phone calls. Can't even connect to my own wifi for some reason, although I know it does work as i've used it with a different router on BT.

thats really bad! Damn. what model do you have, and is did you get it unlocked/unbranded?

Original Poster

I want to get ]this one, alongside my O2 PayGo SIM. Wonder if that'll work....

hdizzle;6679409

Good on you :thumbsup:I'm just worried that if I get it, all those useful … Good on you :thumbsup:I'm just worried that if I get it, all those useful features (which I'm buying it for in the first place) won't work...

the only thing that doesnt work is the facebook app, blackberry messenger, msn messenger. but ive got a third party app that does msn/facebook chats. and jsut use the net to use facebook!
    hdizzle;6679429

I want to get ]this one, alongside my O2 PayGo SIM. Wonder if that'll … I want to get ]this one, alongside my O2 PayGo SIM. Wonder if that'll work....

even if o2 dont give you the set up for it (which i cant see why they wouldnt) you can get the settings off the net and set them up on your phone yourself. But i dont see any problem and o2 will allow you to take the BB package on top as it means more money for them as its just an add on to the package rather then a contract plan

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;6679482

the only thing that doesnt work is the facebook app, blackberry … the only thing that doesnt work is the facebook app, blackberry messenger, msn messenger. but ive got a third party app that does msn/facebook chats. and jsut use the net to use facebook!even if o2 dont give you the set up for it (which i cant see why they wouldnt) you can get the settings off the net and set them up on your phone yourself. But i dont see any problem and o2 will allow you to take the BB package on top as it means more money for them as its just an add on to the package rather then a contract plan

argh! see one of the big reasons I'm getting it is for the BBM// and Facebook etc! That's really annoying!

So O2 have an add on for Blackberry's? how much do they charge?

Thanks for the info btw :thumbsup:

As far as I can see theres no way to manually enter settings for MMS etc. This is what it says on O2....

"Before you can use the BlackBerry service you'll need to be on a BlackBerry tariff.

When you first setup your handset to use BlackBerry, a service book containing information that configures how your BlackBerry smartphone works with the BlackBerry® Infrastructure will be downloaded to the handset. This also turns on specific services for your BlackBerry smartphone including WAP, MMS etc. The selection of service books on your BlackBerry smartphone depends upon the features provided by your wireless service provider and the IT policies set up by your organization.

BES BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Your service book will be sent to your handset when you first setup your BlackBerry. If you require them to be resent then please contact your IT department.

BIS BlackBerry Internet Server

When you register your BlackBerry on the internet your service book will be automatically sent. If you require them to be resent please follow the following instructions,

1. Press the BlackBerry logo key to enter the main menu.
    2. Highlight Setup and select by pressing the trackpad
    3. Highlight E-mail Settings and select by pressing the trackpad
    4. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click Log In
    5. In the Settings section, click Service Books
    6. Click Send Service Books
    7. When the service books have been received click OK

Alternatively BIS users can,

1. Go to [url]www.o2email.co.uk[/url] on your PC / Laptop
    2. Log in using username and password
    3. Click Service Books this is located down the left hand side of the page
    4. Click Send Service Books."

How crap is that???

hdizzle;6679519

argh! see one of the big reasons I'm getting it is for the BBM// and … argh! see one of the big reasons I'm getting it is for the BBM// and Facebook etc! That's really annoying!So O2 have an add on for Blackberry's? how much do they charge?Thanks for the info btw :thumbsup:

i dont know i was assuming im with tmobile and the BB service is just an extra thus i denied it as they wanted £5 per month when my tariff is only £17.50pm (meant to be £35).

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;6679571

i dont know i was assuming im with tmobile and the BB service is just an … i dont know i was assuming im with tmobile and the BB service is just an extra thus i denied it as they wanted £5 per month when my tariff is only £17.50pm (meant to be £35).

oh right ok.

I'm gonna give O2 a ring tomorrow and see what they can do for me! hopefully it'll work out cos I can't really see any other phone out there, that I want. Sad times really.

The £5 is a standard charge made by BB. I have a Bold 9000 and love it (except for the crappy camera). For me it's great to get all the BB functions and combined with an unlimited data plan ideal as a modem for my laptop on the move.

Original Poster

BlackCloud;6679624

The £5 is a standard charge made by BB. I have a Bold 9000 and love it … The £5 is a standard charge made by BB. I have a Bold 9000 and love it (except for the crappy camera). For me it's great to get all the BB functions and combined with an unlimited data plan ideal as a modem for my laptop on the move.

oh so you have to pay £5? is that on PayGo though?

apologies, blackberry messenger is not separate to the data. it only uses minimal amounts of course.

i've got an 8900. excellent bit of kit

Sorry, i don't know about pay-as-you-go, must be included somehow but i am on contract.
    With a BB your actual phone, not sim, is locked to the BB Internet Services (BIS) so once you activate it, the handset downloads all the 'service book' functions and you have messenger, the browser, push email etc.
    BB are nice bits of kit, very functional and business like, the biggest benefit being that large organisations/businesses will likely have the ability to sync their works email/dairies etc. to staff BB's. Unless you subscribe to the BIS I'm not sure a BB can do much more than any other phone with push email, seems to miss the point a bit otherwise but BIS seems to work really well for me anyway. I would consider subscribing if you have a BB handset.

can i ask why anyone would wanna own a blackberry and not pay for the bolt on ?? i can see why some would think yea but i have an unlimited dataplan etc but read the small print there is a limit and thats where the problem is as the data used by the blackberry is different to that used on a standard mobile, i own the curve and the bold and use them and most of there features daily, not being nasty but alot of people own blackberry's now not because they have use for there features but because its the latest '' in thing ''

It's a brand thing for some people for sure. I notice several celebrities carrying them and so it is a brand image like clothing, trainers and big sunglasses. It's a great business tool though if you use it in the right context.

Shengis;6678749

I can't even get MMS on mine as I refuse to pay for a BB contract and O2 … I can't even get MMS on mine as I refuse to pay for a BB contract and O2 won't send me the settings for the internet usage. Useless bloody thing :lol:

Yep you are right Shengis, you do need a blackberry tarrif or bolt-on.

when did you last speak to O2 about it?

The reason I ask is that when I first started with my O2 Simpicity 20 tarrif with unlimited web bolt-on (30 day contract) and my cousins had blackberries, we checked on the O2 website and they wanted an extra £10 for BIS so I canned the idea of a BB.

Last month I spoke to O2 - and I always find their CS very helpful - about another matter then as a closing shot asked them about BIS. I was told I could swap my unlimited web bolt-on for BIs FOC.

So now I have decided to dip my toe into Blackberry waters I put a want on her for a BB and on Friday I called O2 again to double check that BIS was free.

I was told in very clear terms that I could swap my web bolt-on for Blackberry bolt-on free of charge and it would take up to 24 hours to take effect. Tghe resaon I know it ios true BIS is the guy told me not to use data on my current WM phone or the BB phone until the swiych had taken effect because if the switch had not finished I would be chartged for the BIS and if it had been completed I would be charged for data on the WM phone as it is outside of the BIS service.

So to summerise O2 have told me I will get 600 mins / 1200 texts and unlimited email / internet via BIS for £19.58 - just have to tell them when to turn on BIS.

EliTom

Dub1;6681260

can i ask why anyone would wanna own a blackberry and not pay for the … can i ask why anyone would wanna own a blackberry and not pay for the bolt on ?? i can see why some would think yea but i have an unlimited dataplan etc but read the small print there is a limit and thats where the problem is as the data used by the blackberry is different to that used on a standard mobile, i own the curve and the bold and use them and most of there features daily, not being nasty but alot of people own blackberry's now not because they have use for there features but because its the latest '' in thing ''

as specified above i have the curve 8900 without the BB plan, and i can use everything except the native email program, and the facebook and the BB IM/MSN IM...but facebook i just use on the internet, and i can use a third party app for msn/facebook chat and then use the google mail app and forward all my mail to my googlemail account if not picked up first by myself in outlook.

also hdizzle - more info that you can shake a sh1ty stick at here

crackberry.com/

especially in the forums / hep sections (101 lecture series)

hth

EliTom

Original Poster

Thank you Elitom, that was really helpful of you! I'll give O2 a ring and see what they say :thumbsup:

hdizzle;6684491

Thank you Elitom, that was really helpful of you! I'll give O2 a ring and … Thank you Elitom, that was really helpful of you! I'll give O2 a ring and see what they say :thumbsup:

Hi hdizzle - did you decide to invest in a Blackberry then?

Got mine from smoles and it works great on O2 with BIS bolt-on - O2 set it all up within 12 hours - overnight system refresh I guess - really nice bit of kit!

EliTom

Original Poster

elitom;6748481

Hi hdizzle - did you decide to invest in a Blackberry then?Got mine from … Hi hdizzle - did you decide to invest in a Blackberry then?Got mine from smoles and it works great on O2 with BIS bolt-on - O2 set it all up within 12 hours - overnight system refresh I guess - really nice bit of kit!EliTom

I've not bought one just yet, I'm gonna see how it goes (financially!)

So you got the BIS bolt on with Simplicity? Was that on the £20 a month, instead of the unlimited web bolt on?

Also, do your applications work alright (BBM, Facebook, Msn messenger, E-mail etc)?

Cheers

hdizzle;6770032

I've not bought one just yet, I'm gonna see how it goes (financially!)So … I've not bought one just yet, I'm gonna see how it goes (financially!)So you got the BIS bolt on with Simplicity? Was that on the £20 a month, instead of the unlimited web bolt on?Also, do your applications work alright (BBM, Facebook, Msn messenger, E-mail etc)?Cheers

Yep

Called O2 when i got my Blackberry and asked them to switch the bolt on over. they did it next day (I guess overnight system refresh)

This is on the £20 (£19.56) simplicity rolling 30 day contract.

Set up my BB email here o2email.co.uk/ and everything was up and running in minutes.

BBM Facebook MASN all work straight from the Blackberry apps list. My GMail account is sent directly to the BB as push email and integrates with Gmail perfectly.

the facebook integration is very good.

Verry hapy with the Blackberry service - best communication device I have had.

think I'm gonna sell my Nokia 5800 and windows phones now.

HTH

EliTom

As long as you have BIS enabled on your Blackberry, the data will work fine regardless of whether it's e-mail, internet, Facebook etc. A Blackberry without BIS/BES will only function for phone calls and sms, I'm not sure on the exact situation with O2 but I did hear that they were offering BIS on pay as you go.

John

Original Poster

Thanks again, Elitom & Johnmc!

I'll look into sorting out the BIS with O2 as soon as I get it!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …67117
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846273
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764497
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2644

See more discussions