Groups

Calling all car mechanics :P help

Okay i have a vaxuhall astra and i realised the other day my car socket aint working, what i put my sat nav charger in etc.

Are these easy to change... or shall i just take it to a garage?
    Tried looking on flee bay for a replacement but couldn't find one.

12 Comments

Check for a blown fuse.

Original Poster

i dont know how to properly explain this. its not the lighter ones as my car is a no smoking enviroment :P. its just a socket.

Original Poster

TUSSFC

Check for a blown fuse.

how do i do that?

Swap the fuse in the fuse box like you would do in your house.

Original Poster

okay cheers. my car has 2 fuse boxes one in the luggage compartment and one on the left side of the engine. is it recommend to change both or will the engine one seem more logical.

K4lvin

how do i do that?

You better take it to a garage in light of this response!

What model is your astra? It will prob be the fuse box in the front of the car. The fuse number depends on model.

get the astra instruction manual, read the changing fuses section you should find the exact fuse for cigar lighter / 12v socket or whatever name vauxhall give it.
    Pull out the fuse shown it may be hiden under the carpet or in the boot or under the steering wheel or under the seat!
    When you pull out the offending fuse replace with the same colour/ amp fuse and your socket should work. There should be some spare fuses for you on the side of the fuse box!
    videojug.com/fil…use

take the keys out the ignition while changing fuse!

I had this issue before with my Astra, you need to change the socket fuse in the fuse box in the boot. Pop into halfrauds and buy a replacement fuse.Think it was fuse number 36, your manual should have this.
    Edited by: "Spriggan" 17th Aug 2010

Original Poster

Hello, i had been busy with work the last couple of days so did this all today.
    You was correct it was the fuse in the boot. Gave that a change and it now works.
    Thanks all

Spriggan

I had this issue before with my Astra, you need to change the socket fuse … I had this issue before with my Astra, you need to change the socket fuse in the fuse box in the boot. Pop into halfrauds and buy a replacement fuse.Think it was fuse number 36, your manual should have this.

Banned

effingandjeffing

take the keys out the ignition while changing fuse!

lol what effect will that have? most cars still power the 12v power supply socket with the ignition off. To be safe you would unhook the battery, but seriously I wouldn't think twice about sticking my tongue in between the connections
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. GCSE Results day56
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4882391
      3. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!45
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846349

See more discussions