Calling all Highway Code experts

Found 16th May
OK, Just wondering...... please provide me guidance with who has right of way at this junction and traffic calming objection in the images below, Clarkson Award to all driving and highway code experts......TIA

What happens if someone is coming out the left hand turn on to the main road and you are waiting, giving way to oncoming traffic?

27 Comments

The other direction have right of way - as you can see from the road sign.

im no expert but its the traffic travelling in the opposite direction of the cars as the stop and give way junction is in the left

The big black arrow on the road sign shows which direction has priority, so approaching from the direction of the camera must give way to oncoming traffic

Can you let me know where this is, so I can avoid you.:p

the side road would have to give way to you if travelling northbound but as soon as they pull out onto the main road and are pointing towards you, you then have to give way to them

Original Poster

Firefly1

The other direction have right of way - as you can see from the road sign.

So can the blue car pull out into the main road as out-coming traffic to stop the silver car starting to navigate the traffic calming?
Edited by: "rap451" 16th May

Original Poster

lollypoplee

the side road would have to give way to you if travelling northbound but … the side road would have to give way to you if travelling northbound but as soon as they pull out onto the main road and are pointing towards you, you then have to give way to them

This is what I am trying to understand.

Are you asking, if you were at the traffic calming stop sign, and a car in the junction to the left. If you both pull away at the same time who would have right of way?

If thats the case in that instance i would say the car going round the traffic calming and not the car in the junction as you had already crossed the stop line and the car on the left wont yet be in the oncoming traffic lane.

rap451

This is what I am trying to understand.

If you mean the blue car that is not on the road you are driving on, then ignore the blue car. Oncoming traffic only has priority if it is actually oncoming. The blue car is not oncoming but it is down a side road. Once it is on the main road, it is oncoming traffic and has priority.

If you hadn't started going around the speed measures & the blue car pulled out onto the right of way, then it has priority.
If you start going around it as the blue car pulls out, you need to finish going around.
If you pull out at the same time, the blue car technically has priority but common sense applies
Edited by: "Firefly1" 16th May

Original Poster

So in conclusion, the side road has priority over the car waiting behind the traffic calming hazard?

rap451

So in conclusion, the side road has priority over the car waiting behind … So in conclusion, the side road has priority over the car waiting behind the traffic calming hazard?

No - the complete opposite to that. The side road has no priority whatsoever as it is not at the traffic calming measure (It is not on the road with the traffic calming measure).

Edited by: "Firefly1" 16th May

Firefly1

No - the complete opposite to that. The side road has no priority … No - the complete opposite to that. The side road has no priority whatsoever as it is not at the traffic calming measure (It is not on the road with the traffic calming measure).

Spot on.

Original Poster

Firefly1

If you mean the blue car that is not on the road you are driving on, then … If you mean the blue car that is not on the road you are driving on, then ignore the blue car. Oncoming traffic only has priority if it is actually oncoming. The blue car is not oncoming but it is down a side road. Once it is on the main road, it is oncoming traffic and has priority.If you hadn't started going around the speed measures & the blue car pulled out onto the right of way, then it has priority.If you start going around it as the blue car pulls out, you need to finish going around.If you pull out at the same time, the blue car technically has priority but common sense applies

Yes its the side road priority I'm interested in.

This is what I thought.....
I guess most car drivers in the position of turning into the main road from the side road, believe they have priority first, over the traffic blocked by the traffic calming measure.

You explained it well thanks.....

The massive "give way" sign should tell you all you need to know. It's​ a bad design but if a car pulls out of the junction you still have to give way

Banned

the blue car needs to wait for both cars on the main road to clear, so you have priority over him unless​ he pulls out while you are stopped where you are now, at the giveaway​.
just be careful, iv see some right idiots floating anywhere when it suits them.

you could always stop and flash him out IF there's nowt coming towards you but then some burk would ram you in the **** saying why you stopped blue car is on a minor road....

already said above.
from my legal knowledge, arrow sign gives instructions very clearly as to right of way and who to.

drivers pulling onto main road have to give way to traffic.
simple stuff!

Nice cycle lane right into a big puddle.

So....did you have an accident on this junction then?

If there was nothing coming the other way then you would nip round the traffic calming measure without stopping or slowing down too much. Therefore the car at the side road should ignore it, as the road he is about to enter is all one road, not two different roads. If any traffic is coming from his right (ie us), he should wait, the same as he should wait if any traffic is coming from his left. The only issue is that he may tag onto traffic coming from his left because they won't have cleared the pinch point so you can go, in which case you'll have to wait. If you are approaching the pinch point on an empty road he shouldn't pull out until you have passed.

The blue people carrier should give way to cars approaching from the right, regardless of the traffic calming.
Cars approching the camera have right of way, as the sign says.

come on. everyone wants to know. did you have an altercation?

Highway expert here. This road is scuffed AF, usual council jobsworths. Should have been built like this

http://i.imgur.com/nmHsUDz.jpg

Stupid idea putting a traffic calming measure like that so close to a road junction.
Not just the road sign that gives a clue about right of way, also the big white triangle painted on rhe road.

Original Poster

LizzyUK

So....did you have an accident on this junction then?

No
cmncomp

come on. everyone wants to know. did you have an altercation?

No

Its just drivers tend to do this......
BluePandaMan

.......only issue is that he may tag onto traffic coming from his left … .......only issue is that he may tag onto traffic coming from his left because they won't have cleared the pinch point so you can go, in which case you'll have to wait. If you are approaching the pinch point on an empty road he shouldn't pull out until you have passed.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Original Poster

liamf12

Stupid idea putting a traffic calming measure like that so close to a … Stupid idea putting a traffic calming measure like that so close to a road junction.

The traffic calming was added because a child was killed crossing the road there, as its near a school, and a nursery, nursery where I took the photo(s) from and school entrance is where the side road is.

Alas drivers still drive like a GP chicane and the pinch point and right of way appears to be always at issue.

Thats why I asked initially.
Edited by: "rap451" 17th May
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Domain renewal12
    2. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?46
    3. 48 hour working time directive69
    4. Installing google play store on Kindle Fire 2nd gen?615

See more discussions