CALLING ALL I.T TECHS - DELL DIMENSION 9150 POWER UNIT

Found 12th Mar 2009
Hi, people seems like my PC's power unit has failed, and I possibly need it replaced, wondering if any1 knows which other Dell PC has the same or compatible power unit to fit the dell dimension 9150
looked on the net, best I found was that the power unit needs to be 375W

The PC stopped working, cant switch it on, every now and again when the power cable is plugged in, the fan will make a loud spinning noise with the power button light flashing but only way to switch it off is by taking power cable out. used an air blaster to clean the dust from fan etc. but no joy.

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Dell
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Dell
6 Comments

a psu is pretty generic. Go for one cv least equivalent to your old one and you wont go wrong. Shouldn't set you back more than 20 quids edit, doesn't necessarilly have to be the psu at fault, the motherboard may of had it. Although psu is always a good place to start. Not got one from elsewhere you could test in it?

Original Poster

thats the ting, I'm an IT tech, and have a number of spare PC's at work, BUT i know i cant use any old power unit, so wanted to know if someone had an idea which other PC would have a compatible power unit

Original Poster

dcx_badass;4621126

No you're not, or you'd know it was called a power supply. Fail. And that … No you're not, or you'd know it was called a power supply. Fail. And that you don't need a dell specific one.

not here to prove what I am or what I do, just thought I'd ask someone, if you haven't got anything helpful to say why bother??!!

Original Poster

dcx_badass;4621126

No you're not, or you'd know it was called a power supply. Fail. And that … No you're not, or you'd know it was called a power supply. Fail. And that you don't need a dell specific one.

and yes I know its NOT DELL SPECIFIC, but marjority of PC's we have at work are DELL's so would be easier for me to carry out tests if someone would try be helpful!!

brfc;4621022

thats the ting, I'm an IT tech, and have a number of spare PC's at work, … thats the ting, I'm an IT tech, and have a number of spare PC's at work, BUT i know i cant use any old power unit, so wanted to know if someone had an idea which other PC would have a compatible power unit

Just use anyone, it wont matter. As has been mentioned it may be the motherboard, so check this.

Banned

Actually unless things have changed recently (past year or so) dell DO use specific power supplies - or rather use a different connector to the mobo. Same shape, and will even fit, but 2 pins are swapped around.

Not sure if this is still the case, but check first!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244922
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114649
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1889
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1321

See more discussions