Calling ALL Percy Pig Fans - Pork or no Pork that is the question - is a veggie friendly Percy Pig sweet like a bacon bap without the bacon?

Deal editor16
Posted 3rd May 2019
Calling all Percy Pig fans - it seems after the recent revelation that ALL M&S's Percy Pig sweets are now suitable for vegetarians - there has been a Percy Pig Protest - with members of the public (including Piers Morgan) calling for the pork gelatin to be added back in

"Percy Pigs without pork gelatin is like Bacon Baps without Bacon" - Percy Pigs without pork gelatin is like a Chinese Buffet without Pork Ribs" are just some of the quotes I've made up - but am sure there are loads out there like them, Piers (maybe he should make his own sweets called Piers Pigs) Morgan actually spat one of the new recipe sweets out live on air - calling it disgusting .....

Anyway, M&S have decided to answer the porcine protesters head on with a Percy Pig Panel - they are giving you the chance to have your say. "Watch the video, tell us why you’re the ultimate Percy super fan in the comments and you could be one of the 100 people on ourPercy Pig Panel who’ll decide if we should introduce a special edition Percy pack with gelatine back in"

Watch the video on the M&S Facebook page (@MarksandSpencer), the M&S Twitter account (@marksandspencer), or the M&S Instagram account (@marksandspencer) and tell them in the comment section under the video post, in no more than 100 words, what makes them the ultimate Percy super fan & you could be whizzing off to London - to either put a smile or frown on the face of Piers Morgan

T&C's

The Prize
1. The prize will consist of attendance at an event in London on the evening of 16 May 2019 (times and exact location to be confirmed) where the prize winners will form a panel and vote to decide whether or not M&S should introduce a special edition Percy Pig pack with the gelatine added back in.
2. Reasonable travel expenses will also be paid to each prize winner, as detailed below.
3. 100 places on the panel are up for grabs.

Eligibility and How to Enter
7. Enter via the comments section on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using these link IDs here:
7. Entry is open only to permanent UK and ROI residents who are aged 18 or over.
8. Entry is not open to employees of M&S or M&S group companies.
9. To enter, participants should watch the video on the M&S Facebook page (@MarksandSpencer), the M&S Twitter account (@marksandspencer), or the M&S Instagram account (@marksandspencer) and tell us in the comment section under the video post, in no more than 100 words, what makes them the ultimate Percy super fan.
10. Maximum one entry per person.
11. Entry will open at 09:00 on Thursday 2 May 2019.
12.The closing date for entries is 19:00 on Monday 6 May 2019.
Selection of the Panel
13.An M&S panel will select up to 100 entries, which they believe best demonstrate the prize winners’ passion for Percy.
14.M&S will notify the prize winners by private message by 17:00 on Wednesday 8 May 2019 and they shall have until 17:00 on Friday 10 May 2019 (the “Acceptance Date”) to accept the prize by replying to the message to confirm attendance and participant details. Should a prize winner not accept the prize and complete the acceptance form by the Acceptance Date, the judges reserve the right to select an alternative prize winner from the entries submitted.
General
15.The prize winners must be available to attend the event in London on the evening of 16 May 2019 (details, including times and location, to be confirmed following notification of winners).
16.M&S will cover travel expenses (standard class public transport or petrol expenses only) to and from London, if required.
17.The prize is non-transferable and non-refundable and only the named prize winner can attend the event. Proof of identification may be required at the event. There is no cash alternative.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

16 Comments
Yes i think it was a great idea to reach out to the vegetarians as there are many sweets we cant eat because of gelatine. I always rely on marks to cater to my vegetarian and celiac needs! They never fail to deliver!! Hats off
I'm going to try a bag today, hey can't be that different, surely?!?
If people would just give the vegan pigs a try they will see that they have a much nicer taste and especially a much nicer texture will people please let me know how they get on with them
Edited by: "babyveins" 14th May 2019
Removal of pork gelatin, eh?
It's pretty obvious what market they're going for here.
old_mikefield04/05/2019 13:07

Removal of pork gelatin, eh? It's pretty obvious what market they're going …Removal of pork gelatin, eh? It's pretty obvious what market they're going for here.

Yes, the vegetarian (and possibly vegan depending on what the other ingredients are) market. It's a big thing right now for all sorts of companies. I assume that's what you meant, right?: Obviously, it must be, as they the OP clearly states the sweets are now suitable for vegetarians.

Keep on whistlin' though.
These are fruit flavoured sweets, not pork flavoured. You shouldn't taste any difference, if you could taste the gelatine it would taste disgusting. Pork gelatine is used as a cheap gelling agent nothing more. Making these suitable for vegetarians is good for inclusiveness and business as it broadens M&S's customer base.

Also, those same sweets were being sold in other stores in a dog shape so to those that are complaining about the lack of pork gelatine in pig shaped sweets should be happy if the dog ones contained dog gelatine!
Is this not really just a case of mismanaging their own advertising / hype in an attempt to exploit the current focus in healthy eating?
For years (decades) gelatine types have been offputting to virtually everyone, and generally a lazy component / filler (but easier to make foam types).
By hyping up this change; m&s have obviously riled up the "full fat, no sugar tax!" crowd. And they're obviously milking the attention for all it's worth.
ZedKay04/05/2019 16:28

These are fruit flavoured sweets, not pork flavoured. You shouldn't taste …These are fruit flavoured sweets, not pork flavoured. You shouldn't taste any difference, if you could taste the gelatine it would taste disgusting. Pork gelatine is used as a cheap gelling agent nothing more. Making these suitable for vegetarians is good for inclusiveness and business as it broadens M&S's customer base.Also, those same sweets were being sold in other stores in a dog shape so to those that are complaining about the lack of pork gelatine in pig shaped sweets should be happy if the dog ones contained dog gelatine!

You shouldn't be able to taste the gelatine, but it's really noticeable if you eat a sweet containing gelatine after years of eating vegetarian varieties.
Ferris04/05/2019 22:31

You shouldn't be able to taste the gelatine, but it's really noticeable if …You shouldn't be able to taste the gelatine, but it's really noticeable if you eat a sweet containing gelatine after years of eating vegetarian varieties.

I agree gelatine does give a more gummy texture, beef gelitine produces the same result. It doesn't have to be pork gelatine just because it is shaped like a pig.
The Swines!
ZedKay04/05/2019 23:14

I agree gelatine does give a more gummy texture, beef gelitine produces …I agree gelatine does give a more gummy texture, beef gelitine produces the same result. It doesn't have to be pork gelatine just because it is shaped like a pig.

Is Beef gelatine much more vegetarian than Pig?
ZedKay04/05/2019 23:14

I agree gelatine does give a more gummy texture, beef gelitine produces …I agree gelatine does give a more gummy texture, beef gelitine produces the same result. It doesn't have to be pork gelatine just because it is shaped like a pig.

To me it's not just texture but flavour. It tastes... not quite meaty, but as though some veggie sweets have been stored in a bowl that recently held meat or bones. There's a definite funny tinge.

Having tried both, and despite not being remotely vegetarian, I prefer the non-gelatine versions of anything.
Loading.......04/05/2019 23:18

Is Beef gelatine much more vegetarian than Pig? … Is Beef gelatine much more vegetarian than Pig?

I was just pointing out that any source of animal gelatine will produce the same result so why are people so worked up about this product.
Ferris04/05/2019 23:42

To me it's not just texture but flavour. It tastes... not quite meaty, but …To me it's not just texture but flavour. It tastes... not quite meaty, but as though some veggie sweets have been stored in a bowl that recently held meat or bones. There's a definite funny tinge.Having tried both, and despite not being remotely vegetarian, I prefer the non-gelatine versions of anything.

I would like to see more sweets and everyday grocery foods being made for all and vegan and/or vegetarian is the best way to do this.
ZedKay21 m ago

I would like to see more sweets and everyday grocery foods being made for …I would like to see more sweets and everyday grocery foods being made for all and vegan and/or vegetarian is the best way to do this.

It was going that way in this country for a long time (vegetarian at least), although that seemed to change about 10 years ago with the reintroduction of gelatine into lots of things that had been just fine without it (e.g. yogurts).
Oink
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants