Expired

Calling all plumbers :-) .........Is the Honeywell-Smartfit-T8677A1008 hard to replace?

Found 1st Nov 2014
Just moved into my new house and the boiler thermostat i've got fitted is a pain.

Its one of these:

ebay.co.uk/itm…4fc

We often get short duration power cuts ranging from seconds to minutes and everytime that happens i have to reprogramme this stupid thing!

In my previous house i replaced the thermostat, it basically just flipped off and the new one just popped back on, it had a built in battery and everything was good. I could control the water and heating independantly and have it come on off numerous times of the day / week.

This one seems to be hard wired in rather than being on one the flip off bracket things so I'm dubious about doing it. I've got a Baxi 100 Boiler system, so do i need to find one compatible with that or does any thermostat control any boiler?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBoilerHoneywell
12 Comments
Just read the description to the link i've posted and it states!

Memory back-up battery backup maintains real time and programmes for 12 hours

Bet i can just replace the battery then
Can this be done with the mains on, is it easy to do?
Just found this, as i'm sure i checked if there was a battery or not when it first happened:

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168515

Any pointers would be greatful
I don't know the Timer but sounds like (from the link you've already given) that the battery is unreplaceable.

Here's what I would do

Source another Timer unit (doesn't have to be the same make/model (seems expensive to me)) - then when you've got new Timer delivered - AND if you are competent enough - turn off mains - remove timer - see if you can replace battery - if yes then return new unit to seller - if not - replace timer.
Hi Stevieboy4u,

Firstly, don't do a thing with the mains on, it really isn't worth the risk.

If you can get the cover off, then do so, see if there is anything that is obiously a battery. It is probably a coin cell , if so it will look like a 10p peice. If you see something like that then try and see if it can be removed using a screwdriver or similar. It could be that it doesn't have a battery at all, but uses a capacitor to take the place of a battery, in which case it will be soldered in. They do age and can be replaced but you need to know what you are doing. You could always take a picture of the insides and post it on here.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the whole unit with anything but an identical one, the cable connections will be different between manufacturers and again you need to know what you are doing. If you buy the same unit then of course you could replace it but be careful that you have definitely turned the mains off and that you mark cables before removal so you know where to put them back.
The one I have is a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 and separate Honeywell room thermostat, both are quite old units now about 10 years since I installed it but been very good. I also experience power cuts where I live and it doesn't lose it's settings. It's still available today and if I remember rightly heating programmers have 'smart' fixings so are interchangeable with other manufacturers.

If you haven't got a separate room thermostat you will need one for this programmer to work efficiently. It also has a battery back up.

screwfix.com/p/d…AgQ
I'd probably have a look inside, mine runs off two AA cells because it's old school but yours is probably a lithium cell which may or may not be easy to source. If you are going to replace the Roomstat make sure you know how your system works. Mines a simple heat store where the timer just operates a pump for the radiators. I guess yours is a lot more complex.

Smartguy1

The one I have is a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 and separate Honeywell room … The one I have is a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 and separate Honeywell room thermostat, both are quite old units now about 10 years since I installed it but been very good. I also experience power cuts where I live and it doesn't lose it's settings. It's still available today and if I remember rightly heating programmers have 'smart' fixings so are interchangeable with other manufacturers.If you haven't got a separate room thermostat you will need one for this programmer to work efficiently. It also has a battery back up.http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-lp522-mk4-programmer/20673?kpid=20673&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=20673&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Heating%20and%20Cooling-_-Shopping%20-%20Heating%20and%20Cooling&gclid=CPny2Mys2sECFYkKwwodk6oAgQ

Thats like the one i had at my previous house. When i replaced that it just clipped into the backplate on the wall, was a doddle and i loved the 1,2,3 hour boost function, saving having to remember to switch it off before going to bed etc.

Like i said above i've had the front off before when this first happened and i couldn't see anything that looked like a battery. Don't really want to take the front off again as it means powering it down which will then mean reprogramming the stupid thing!!

I found this post, which is exactly whats happening to me, so sounds like a common issue with this thermostat:

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168515

But there isn't a solution.............Typical
I'm tried phoning Honeywell yesterday but they only work Monday - Friday so will give them a call tomorrow see what they say.
Rang Honeywell and they say the battery cannot be replaced, they advised i should get a new progammable thermostat.

How rubbish is that

Think i'm just going to have to live with it until the boiler is due a service then i'll get it upgraded to one with a back plate that has boost functions etc and not hopefully not made by Honeywell (_;)
Honeywell make some good gear but when I installed my system some years ago the Drayton had the best review. I did install a Honeywell room stat and diverter valve which have served me well. If my programmer was to break tomorrow it would be replaced with another Drayton.
Yeah, i agree. The thermostat in my old house was a Drayton and i couldn't fault it, it did everything i wanted and had a nice big LCD screen
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions