Calling all whisky drinkers...

Found 25th JanEdited by:"sheps"
i need 3 bottles of whisky.. one as part of a wedding gift basket im making.. one for sharing at the wedding and one for a friend to say thanks for helping us sort accommodation and providing us transport while there.. they all bourbon drinkers and i've no idea what to pick as I'm no connoisseur..

will out spending a fortune what would you all recommend...
Community Updates
AskGroceries
17 Comments
MACALLAN is a good safe bet. With a range of prices to suit all budgets.

I’d advise staying clear of peaty Malts. To some they are the tears of angels and to others last nights Satan’s Vindaloo. Laphroaig would be a good example of that.
I would recommend Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses. I have never really bought more expensive bottles than these for bourbon but I still would consider these great gifts.
Macallan is a good shout, would also recommend Auchentoshan or Old Pulteney for non peaty.
Original Poster
CelestialLegend25th Jan

I would recommend Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses. I have …I would recommend Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses. I have never really bought more expensive bottles than these for bourbon but I still would consider these great gifts.

thanks for those suggestions but it is scottish whisky they want... they in usa and want me to pick a scottish whisky...just an after thought i should bring one to share too so they don't feel they have to drink the wedding gift with their friends at the reception.. depending what it is i decide on depends if i get while there or have to source while here and ship or bring with me .. easier if i can get there as i don't have customs to deal with but not everything is available there or not locally anyway and I've not looked much further than the local home delivery shops where I'll be staying and prices for the ones i've seen are about the same as here.
Original Poster
Richard_Richard8 m ago

Do Macallan do bourbon? As a bourbon drinker myself I wouldn't appreciate …Do Macallan do bourbon? As a bourbon drinker myself I wouldn't appreciate a £50 single malt more so than say a Woodford reserve.What's your budget op? No point recommending £40-50 bottles if your budget is £20 a bottle.

budget no more than 35-40 for wedding gift rather something 20-25 for the others..but that really is max... less is best tbh it will be an expensive enough trip and ive no idea whats likely to be on offer the now .. finding something they will like i guess is whats most important just feel ive been set an impossible task as someone who doesnt really drink the stuff lol
sheps9 m ago

budget no more than 35-40 for wedding gift rather something 20-25 for the …budget no more than 35-40 for wedding gift rather something 20-25 for the others..but that really is max... less is best tbh it will be an expensive enough trip and ive no idea whats likely to be on offer the now .. finding something they will like i guess is whats most important just feel ive been set an impossible task as someone who doesnt really drink the stuff lol

Ah I didn't realise they wanted Scottish stuff, some of it is made using bourbon casks but the flavour is quite different, maybe that's what they want though. To me stuff along the lines of glenfiddich single malt tastes like candle wax, I'm a bourbon drinker so it's completely lost on me.

I'd much rather have a bottle of Jack Daniel's single barrel rather than another single malt, so probably the first suggestion of Macallan is right if they want something different.
sheps27 m ago

thanks for those suggestions but it is scottish whisky they want... they …thanks for those suggestions but it is scottish whisky they want... they in usa and want me to pick a scottish whisky...just an after thought i should bring one to share too so they don't feel they have to drink the wedding gift with their friends at the reception.. depending what it is i decide on depends if i get while there or have to source while here and ship or bring with me .. easier if i can get there as i don't have customs to deal with but not everything is available there or not locally anyway and I've not looked much further than the local home delivery shops where I'll be staying and prices for the ones i've seen are about the same as here.

Ah, now you're talking! Glenfiddich (delicate/fruit), Old Pulteney (sea salt) and Bowmore (smoke/rich) would be my recommendations.
Macallan suits many tastes as it is very smooth. Jura Origin is a slightly peaty alternative. I was given a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter Gold at Xmas which was surprisingly good as it is Malt, but not a single malt.
Original Poster
I'm more of a bourbon or brandy person if im to drink anything too.. although jura original was actually my thought for the bottle to share because i do like it ...i also in my younger days rather liked the odd nip of the cream liqueur they once did many moons ago but think you could only get that if you visit the distillery if its even still made... think i will have to note the suggestions to date and make arrangements go have a taster session in the local pub
sheps2 h, 44 m ago

I'm more of a bourbon or brandy person if im to drink anything too.. …I'm more of a bourbon or brandy person if im to drink anything too.. although jura original was actually my thought for the bottle to share because i do like it ...i also in my younger days rather liked the odd nip of the cream liqueur they once did many moons ago but think you could only get that if you visit the distillery if its even still made... think i will have to note the suggestions to date and make arrangements go have a taster session in the local pub

Jura Origin is also a good shout, had forgotten about that
If you have a local coop look in there. They often have decent whiskies with decent discounts
Strathisla is a current fave.
Glenmorangie is a lovely whisky, which I'm sure bourbon drinkers will find easy to drink.
sheps25th Jan

budget no more than 35-40 for wedding gift rather something 20-25 for the …budget no more than 35-40 for wedding gift rather something 20-25 for the others..but that really is max... less is best tbh it will be an expensive enough trip and ive no idea whats likely to be on offer the now .. finding something they will like i guess is whats most important just feel ive been set an impossible task as someone who doesnt really drink the stuff lol

Lagavulin 16 yr old 70cl £49 @ Amazon for the wedding gift, and a smaller 20cl bottle at £24.89 for the other gifts...?

amazon.co.uk/Lag…62K
Original Poster
McNabFish3 h, 7 m ago

Glenmorangie is a lovely whisky, which I'm sure bourbon drinkers will find …Glenmorangie is a lovely whisky, which I'm sure bourbon drinkers will find easy to drink.

My local one but can't say I personally overly rate it although I know it is very popular.
I know some of the men who work and have worked there over the years too.. But that will not see me any discount if I pop along the road to try get a bottle lol
It's a nice idea to bring it with you but I would wait until I'm there if you have time before the wedding. You avoid having to carry it with you and think about customs.
I was in the same situation recently and planned to buy a lagavulin at the airport for £45. It was out of stock and I started to panic, but when I got there I went to the first supermarket and found lagavulin for the less than it costs here.
Edited by: "ciaozammer" 27th Jan
Original Poster
ciaozammer16 h, 19 m ago

It's a nice idea to bring it with you but I would wait until I'm there if …It's a nice idea to bring it with you but I would wait until I'm there if you have time before the wedding. You avoid having to carry it with you and think about customs. I was in the same situation recently and planned to buy a lagavulin at the airport for £45. It was out of stock and I started to panic, but when I got there I went to the first supermarket and found lagavulin for the less than it costs here.

yes your spot on.. but not everything is available there i've found or not locally to where im staying anyway...the jura i cant find in the shops near where i'm staying as you can check that sorta stuff online these days and i've decided one of the bottles will definitely be that.. so guess ill just have to deal with customs.. but as im not flying into jfk im a bit more chilled about that...maybe it was my bad luck but they were a nightmare with me last time lol...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants