Expired

Calor Gas bottles for BBQ, why so expensive ?

Found 7th Jun 2014
Hi.
I am trying to find a bottle for my new weber, but they want almost as much as my BBQ.. Ha Ha

But seriously, £60.00 odd quid just for a tank of gas?

I went to my local skip and they did not have any bottles.

Does anyone know where to get these bottles so they are not so expensive.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskBBQ
39 Comments
Depends where you are but I am sure there are similar outlets.
I got one from West Brom - a camping company close to J10 M6 I think - found it on eby - ws about 25 quid for the small one or 30 for the large one...got a large one - which was a mistake - they last ages and are bug
Im in cardiff, so a bit far, but will check the camping places.
I have checked, Calor which is by my house, B&Q and Homebase.
Calor have a shortage of bottles at the moment. Dunno why.
I would suggested your local dump, but you've already done that.
Next, try eBay
Or, try the motorhome / caravan forums - some of them "upgrade" to the light bottles or Gaslow systems, therefore have a bottle or two to flog.

Google:
Motorhomefun
Motorhomefacts
Strange that your local recycling centre (I presume that's what you meant) doesn't have any. Two local to me have loads.
I take it the cost you have includes the initial deposit as its only £19 a refill at one place the good lady went to the other. Try freecycle or gumtree for empty bottles. I picked up a couple of blue bottles for my BBQ just need to refill them
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 7th Jun 2014
At my local you initially pay a deposit for the tank itself and then pay for the gas, maybe your quote includes the tank and the gas, in which case when you refill next time it'll be much cheaper as you take the old tank back with you to get refilled.
Buy a proper barbecue

/thread
Yeh 37.50 for the bottle alone + 20 odd quid for the gas.

I have checked ebay but nothing I can see in my local area, also checked gumtree.

Maybe I should put it in the sales section. (Wanted Gas Bottle)
RossD89

Buy a proper barbecue/thread

I do have a Weber Charcoal BBQ as well, trust me I know how to BBQ, I am a chef
RossD89

Buy a proper barbecue/thread

canada16

Yeh 37.50 for the bottle alone + 20 odd quid for the gas. I have checked … Yeh 37.50 for the bottle alone + 20 odd quid for the gas. I have checked ebay but nothing I can see in my local area, also checked gumtree.Maybe I should put it in the sales section. (Wanted Gas Bottle)

I was only yankin' ya chain

Genuine question: How would you get the gas bottle delivered? Do couriers even transport them?
You say you've tried the local skip / recycling centre, but what about scrapyards, do you have any nearby?
Thats where I got mine.
I do not have any scrap yards.

No I would pick the bottle up from a local place, I know they do deliver though.

Will have to just keep searching Ebay and Gumtree.

Still cant believe how expensive they are.
whatsThePoint

tbh flipper burgers for a living doesn't make you much of a chef

Indeed it does not. But tell that to the guys that spend tens of thousands of pounds that buy smokers and create the perfect rubs and sauces ect.. I bet true restaurant chefs would tip their hats off.

And just because you cook on a BBQ does not mean you are not a chef.
canada16

Indeed it does not. But tell that to the guys that spend tens of … Indeed it does not. But tell that to the guys that spend tens of thousands of pounds that buy smokers and create the perfect rubs and sauces ect.. I bet true restaurant chefs would tip their hats off. And just because you cook on a BBQ does not mean you are not a chef.

I would imagine a chef would at least know what the air holes on a barbecue do
Take a look at these http://www.gasdeal.co.uk/

They offer national service including Wales and are very competitive after my research this week.

Looks like a buying group type of outfit as they are based in Manchester but mine arrived from a local place that charges more than them for just the gas and also charges £35 for the bottle but these offer a free bottle. I got a 11kg propane gas bottle delivered this week from them for £21.99 inc bottle. They also offer a free bottle on Butane gas 13kg for £22.98 but charge extra for 'Patio' gas bottles. They be able to sort you out for less.

Good luck.

John

konimitsu

Take a look at these http://www.gasdeal.co.uk/They offer national service … Take a look at these http://www.gasdeal.co.uk/They offer national service including Wales and are very competitive after my research this week.Looks like a buying group type of outfit as they are based in Manchester but mine arrived from a local place that charges more than them for just the gas and also charges £35 for the bottle but these offer a free bottle. I got a 11kg propane gas bottle delivered this week from them for £21.99 inc bottle. They also offer a free bottle on Butane gas 13kg for £22.98 but charge extra for 'Patio' gas bottles. They be able to sort you out for less.Good luck.John

Your a star, so so cheap and has a full tank and delivered for 12.99, nice 1

Got the smaller one as will fit inside the BBQ.
canada16

Your a star, so so cheap and has a full tank and delivered for 12.99, … Your a star, so so cheap and has a full tank and delivered for 12.99, nice 1 Got the smaller one as will fit inside the BBQ.

Excellent, glad it was a help.
whatsThePoint

so you're saying the op isn't a chef and they are delusional if they … so you're saying the op isn't a chef and they are delusional if they think preparing something simple under the direction of others makes them a chef and in truth that puts them at the same level as a burger flipper at best and even the term "cook" would be to good for them, well tbh i'm shocked you would say such a thing but I can see where your coming from

No. I was saying I would have expected a chef to know what the air holes on a barbecue do, but I suppose it's the same thing really X)
konimitsu

Take a look at these http://www.gasdeal.co.uk/They offer national service … Take a look at these http://www.gasdeal.co.uk/They offer national service including Wales and are very competitive after my research this week.Looks like a buying group type of outfit as they are based in Manchester but mine arrived from a local place that charges more than them for just the gas and also charges £35 for the bottle but these offer a free bottle. I got a 11kg propane gas bottle delivered this week from them for £21.99 inc bottle. They also offer a free bottle on Butane gas 13kg for £22.98 but charge extra for 'Patio' gas bottles. They be able to sort you out for less.Good luck.John

So the 13KG butane bottle for £22.98 includes the gas? And you keep the bottle? If so that's incredible. I pay about £30 to just have my bottle refilled.
canada16

Your a star, so so cheap and has a full tank and delivered for 12.99, … Your a star, so so cheap and has a full tank and delivered for 12.99, nice 1 Got the smaller one as will fit inside the BBQ.

Thank you so much, I am in Cardiff too with same problem!!
Put a "Wanted" on freecycle. I did that and got 3 from people who were getting rid of their BBQs
konimitsu

Excellent, glad it was a help.

Perhaps you should post it as a deal, what with barby weather soon to be upon us?
deeky

Perhaps you should post it as a deal, what with barby weather soon to be … Perhaps you should post it as a deal, what with barby weather soon to be upon us?

Soon? its 24C and blazing sunshine in my back garden

Getting my new charcoal BBQ out in an hour as had enough of gas ones due to them not really barbecuing any flavour into the meat
Edited by: "chocci" 8th Jun 2014
chocci

Soon? its 24C and blazing sunshine in my back garden Getting my new … Soon? its 24C and blazing sunshine in my back garden Getting my new charcoal BBQ out in an hour as had enough of gas ones due to them not really barbecuing any flavour into the meat

It's nice here as well but I'm working at 3 I'm with you on charcoal. I sacked my gas one a few years back. I now use a Weber one touch for smaller gatherings and my built in one (I knew having a bricky neighbour would come in handy X)) for bigger barby's.

Btw, I got some of this last year. It burns forever and very hot. The only thing is some of the pieces are irregular, with some very large pieces, I suppose because it's really for big events, but they can be easily broken down. Can recommend it though.

store.makro.co.uk/p-4…spx
Edited by: "deeky" 8th Jun 2014
deeky

It's nice here as well but I'm working at 3 I'm with you on charcoal. … It's nice here as well but I'm working at 3 I'm with you on charcoal. I sacked my gas one a few years back. I now use a Weber one touch for smaller gatherings and my built in one (I knew having a bricky neighbour would come in handy X)) for bigger barby's.You likee?Btw, I got some of this last year. It burns forever and very hot. The only thing is some of the pieces are irregular, with some very large pieces, I suppose because it's really for big events, but they can be easily broken down. Can recommend it though.http://store.makro.co.uk/p-45577-fuel-express-restaurant-charcoal-12kg.aspx

Impressive BBQ - my Dad is a brickie so when we move house........

No makro anywhere near me and I only need small amounts for my new compact :-

not bad for £51 though

weberbbq.co.uk/pro…ct/
chocci

No makro anywhere near me and I only need small amounts for my new … No makro anywhere near me and I only need small amounts for my new compact :-not bad for £51 thoughhttps://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/compact/

£51 is great for a Weber. The qulity is so much better than the others. Really solid. I was lucky enough to get one of these hotukdeals.com/dea…030
I actually prefer it to the brick one as I can do that beer can chicken and stuff like that.
deeky

£51 is great for a Weber. The qulity is so much better than the others. … £51 is great for a Weber. The qulity is so much better than the others. Really solid. I was lucky enough to get one of these http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/weber-one-touch-original-57cm-charcoal-barbecue-ivory-online-only-b-q-49-99-5-p-1309030I actually prefer it to the brick one as I can do that beer can chicken and stuff like that.

that was a steal! Now I just need to work out how to cook on it lol

just doing a couple of burgers and chicken thighs in bbq sauce today

and one onion lol
chocci

that was a steal! Now I just need to work out how to cook on it loljust … that was a steal! Now I just need to work out how to cook on it loljust doing a couple of burgers and chicken thighs in bbq sauce todayand one onion lol

I'm no expert but just don't use too much charcoal and make sure you have a bit with no charcoal so you have somewhere to 'hide' stuff if it's cooking too fast.
deeky

Perhaps you should post it as a deal, what with barby weather soon to be … Perhaps you should post it as a deal, what with barby weather soon to be upon us?

Maybe I will come out of my posting exile and put it up...yes I will do....
deeky

I'm no expert but just don't use too much charcoal and make sure you have … I'm no expert but just don't use too much charcoal and make sure you have a bit with no charcoal so you have somewhere to 'hide' stuff if it's cooking too fast.

cant even get the charcoal to light. I have a weber rapidfire chimney starter and stuck some newspaper under it and that burnt for 10 minutes but charcoal says no

third attempt now and we are starving oO
chocci

cant even get the charcoal to light. I have a weber rapidfire chimney … cant even get the charcoal to light. I have a weber rapidfire chimney starter and stuck some newspaper under it and that burnt for 10 minutes but charcoal says no :(third attempt now and we are starving oO

That's strange Your charcoal's not damp is it? You sure it's not lit underneath?

Oh yeah I forgot. As canada says below, I use about 5 or 6 sheets of paper screwed up and about 3 or 4 lighter cubes on the bottom, under the coals, just to make sure.

Edited by: "deeky" 8th Jun 2014
Paper can be hit and miss with the chimney, I bought the Lighter cubes and that works a charm.

Once the first batch is lit and in the BBQ, if you need a little more just fill the chimney up half way and put over the hot coals in the BBQ.

Going to be doing a nice smoked Pulled pork next week, if the weather is better.

Edited by: "canada16" 8th Jun 2014
deeky

That's strange Your charcoal's not damp is it? You sure it's not lit … That's strange Your charcoal's not damp is it? You sure it's not lit underneath? Oh yeah I forgot. As canada says below, I use about 5 or 6 sheets of paper screwed up and about 3 or 4 lighter cubes on the bottom, under the coals, just to make sure.

charcoal fresh from tesco this week

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265512432

I screwed up about 3 pieces of newspaper into a doughnut shape and lit. Paper burnt for 5 mins and the charcoal just wont even get warm (weber compact chimney)

guess I will use firelighters too when I get some

dinner now cooking in the oven and the garden is strewn with burnt newspaper lol

canada16

Paper can be hit and miss with the chimney, I bought the Lighter cubes … Paper can be hit and miss with the chimney, I bought the Lighter cubes and that works a charm.Once the first batch is lit and in the BBQ, if you need a little more just fill the chimney up half way and put over the hot coals in the BBQ. Going to be doing a nice smoked Pulled pork next week, if the weather is better.

so you just put the lighter cubes directly under the coals without any paper?

cheers
I am sure when you buy any calor gas bottle, you can exchange the bottle for any size and then just pay the refill charge? What size are you looking for?

Because you could buy the smallest one, use that gas, then exchange it for the bigger one, only paying the refill charge.
chocci

so you just put the lighter cubes directly under the coals without any … so you just put the lighter cubes directly under the coals without any paper?cheers

As I said above I use paper and firelighters with the firelighters inside the chimney under the coals, then just light the paper.
deeky

As I said above I use paper and firelighters with the firelighters inside … As I said above I use paper and firelighters with the firelighters inside the chimney under the coals, then just light the paper.

thanks

will give it a try
How about gypsy sites once they have moved on, they tend to leave cylinders all over the place.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants