Found 10th Jul
Another fire here...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEVH45PXkAAiy9t.jpg

London Fire Brigade 1 hour ago
We now have ten fire engines and over 70 firefighters dealing with the #Camden Lock Market fire. Please avoid the area

twitter.com/Lon…128

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEVPfHyXcAAQLap.jpg

London Fire Brigade 38 minutes ago
#CamdenMarket fire update: the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, plus the roof, of a building within the market are alight

Seem to be so many fires lately, all over the country. Hope no one is hurt.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

dozstanford

The pub as it is was built in 1280 and was a hunting lodge, prior to this … The pub as it is was built in 1280 and was a hunting lodge, prior to this it was a stable/coaching house for a monastery located on the opposite side of the road. As far as I understand it, only one wall of the building dates back to 1280 and the rest has been rebuilt/modified over time.Note the date on this wall....

A bit like Triggers broom then?
32 Comments

First thought was that it was only a couple of years ago that it was last on fire but, apparently, that was 2008. The years are going too fast for my liking.

Fire's out now, if Twitter is to be believed. Hard to tell as so many people are posting pictures of the previous fire and claiming they are there. oO
Edited by: "bo0td" 10th Jul

Original Poster

Bo0td

First thought was that it was only a couple of years ago that it was last … First thought was that it was only a couple of years ago that it was last on fire but, apparently, that was 2008. The years are going to fast for my liking. Fire's out now, if Twitter is to be believed. Hard to tell as so many people are posting pictures of the previous fire and claiming they are there. oO

Wow, was that nearly 10 years ago already?!

I hope that's right that it's out now. London Fire Brigade haven't confirmed yet, but they seem to have first tweeted about the fire about an hour after other sources.

Your defence is terrified

You have to feel for the stallholders whose livelihoods could be on the line. Took my son here for a day out a few months ago. He was hooked. Perfect day out for him: trip on a train, walk along a canal and poke round a market full of weird stuff. Hope no one was injured

Destard

Your comment is confusing.

Destard

In May 2016, Wigan Athletic supporter Sean Kennedy uploaded a video to … In May 2016, Wigan Athletic supporter Sean Kennedy uploaded a video to YouTube titled "Will Grigg's on fire", which featured a song written in recognition of the recent goal-scoring feats of Grigg with the chorus to "Will Grigg's on fire, your defence is terrified" sung to the tune of "Freed from Desire".

The market was earmarked for redevelopment ages AGO!

It faced stiffed opposition from residents and traders.

A previous part caught fire.

This is latest fire, I suspect it is part of the "final solution" to get rid of the market and get some housing on the site!

groenleader

The market was earmarked for redevelopment ages AGO! It faced stiffed … The market was earmarked for redevelopment ages AGO! It faced stiffed opposition from residents and traders. A previous part caught fire. This is latest fire, I suspect it is part of the "final solution" to get rid of the market and get some housing on the site!

or its an accidental fire.

Isnt it funny how once the place got taken over by hipsters and turned into a tourist trap of no substance, its all been desperate planning to redevelop and the odd fire

groenleader

The market was earmarked for redevelopment ages AGO! It faced stiffed … The market was earmarked for redevelopment ages AGO! It faced stiffed opposition from residents and traders. A previous part caught fire. This is latest fire, I suspect it is part of the "final solution" to get rid of the market and get some housing on the site!

The fire started in Gilgamesh.

I find it very hard to believe it was started maliciously.

Error440

Isnt it funny how once the place got taken over by hipsters and turned … Isnt it funny how once the place got taken over by hipsters and turned into a tourist trap of no substance, its all been desperate planning to redevelop and the odd fire

Are you implying the council have some kind of black ops team?

Error440

Isnt it funny how once the place got taken over by hipsters and turned … Isnt it funny how once the place got taken over by hipsters and turned into a tourist trap of no substance, its all been desperate planning to redevelop and the odd fire

popular area attracts redevelopment. Fires happen when people cook in the open.
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/53bd2b381b7443678eb066ede074dbac/the-food-stalls-in-camden-town-market-camden-lock-d41nn3.jpg

davewave

popular area attracts redevelopment. Fires happen when people cook in the … popular area attracts redevelopment. Fires happen when people cook in the open.

And when you try turning the amp up to eleven
theguardian.com/uk-…ket

riverman

The fire started in Gilgamesh. I find it very hard to believe it was … The fire started in Gilgamesh. I find it very hard to believe it was started maliciously.

I had a lunch booking for this thursday at Gilgamesh, wonder if the Vietnamese place down the road is still trading.

DKLS

I had a lunch booking for this thursday at Gilgamesh, wonder if the … I had a lunch booking for this thursday at Gilgamesh, wonder if the Vietnamese place down the road is still trading.

I have eaten there and would not recommend it.

Absolutely overpriced and poorly cooked food. The decor is nice, but it is complete style over substance.

*sigh* these are fiery times

DKLS

I had a lunch booking for this thursday at Gilgamesh, wonder if the … I had a lunch booking for this thursday at Gilgamesh, wonder if the Vietnamese place down the road is still trading.

There's a Brazilian restaurant in Inverness Street (near Mega City Comics) which is quite nice.

Destard

fanpages

Your comment is confusing.

In May 2016, Wigan Athletic supporter Sean Kennedy uploaded a video to … In May 2016, Wigan Athletic supporter Sean Kennedy uploaded a video to YouTube titled "Will Grigg's on fire", which featured a song written in recognition of the recent goal-scoring feats of Grigg with the chorus to "Will Grigg's on fire, your defence is terrified" sung to the tune of "Freed from Desire".

Err... obviously.

The entry at Wikipedia (where I presume that text was taken) tells me it was "a national sensation". Apparently.

dozstanford

Sounds exactly like what happened to a 1000 year old pub near us....Was … Sounds exactly like what happened to a 1000 year old pub near us....Was bought by the hotel next to it, someone tried to burn it down and failed, tried again a few weeks later and after several years of the locals trying to force it to be rebuilt, its now going to be made into a car park so the hotel can expand into it's own existing car park.As you can see the building could have easily been saved, sadly all that remains is the front wall (which was ordered to be kept as it was deemed the oldest part of the building) the rest of the building has now been flattened.

That looks like it was a fascinating pub. What a sad story.

dozstanford

.As you can see the building could have easily been saved, sadly all that … .As you can see the building could have easily been saved, sadly all that remains is the front wall (which was ordered to be kept as it was deemed the oldest part of the building) the rest of the building has now been flattened.

No way is that pub 1000yrs old, still sad though.

dozstanford

The pub as it is was built in 1280 and was a hunting lodge, prior to this … The pub as it is was built in 1280 and was a hunting lodge, prior to this it was a stable/coaching house for a monastery located on the opposite side of the road. As far as I understand it, only one wall of the building dates back to 1280 and the rest has been rebuilt/modified over time.Note the date on this wall....

A bit like Triggers broom then?

OllieSt

There's a Brazilian restaurant in Inverness Street (near Mega City … There's a Brazilian restaurant in Inverness Street (near Mega City Comics) which is quite nice.

Thanks I will give that a a shot instead. My client likes a sherbet or 5 so it looks like its going to be a caipirinha session.

riverman

I have eaten there and would not recommend it. Absolutely overpriced and … I have eaten there and would not recommend it. Absolutely overpriced and poorly cooked food. The decor is nice, but it is complete style over substance.

That last bit sums up the area, and carnaby street, tin pan ally and much of soho now

fanpages

Some more public houses for your consideration:I have visited this … Some more public houses for your consideration:I have visited this one...[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Man_%26_Scythe ]...but it is not the oldest...[ http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/house-home/britains-best-oldest-pubs-you-need-to-have-a-pint-in-11363967877778 ]

I miss jack straws castle it was the first pub i drank at

Original Poster

Error440

When did the hipsters descend? I haven't been for a while. I'm wondering if my last visit was pre or post hipster.

MSK.

When did the hipsters descend? I haven't been for a while. I'm … When did the hipsters descend? I haven't been for a while. I'm wondering if my last visit was pre or post hipster.

God i think they started about 10 years ago or so, until then Camden itself was considered the craphole area for that borough thats why it was full of the antiques\flea market and the army surplus stuff etc that initially got the attention of the punks.

I'd imagine steptoe and son living round there, it was rough but it had character now its a caricature and expensive, not as bad as carnaby street tho that is really nothing now
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 10th Jul

Original Poster

Error440

God i think they started about 10 years ago or so, until then Camden … God i think they started about 10 years ago or so, until then Camden itself was considered the craphole area for that borough thats why it was full of the antiques\flea market and the army surplus stuff etc that initially got the attention of the punks.

I almost forgot there was army surplus there...

Error440

I miss jack straws castle it was the first pub i drank at

That's an old name. I remember a mate of mine drove his car into a small pond near there and abandoned it. I'm not too sure why, but those were the days.

OllieSt

That's an old name. I remember a mate of mine drove his car into a small … That's an old name. I remember a mate of mine drove his car into a small pond near there and abandoned it. I'm not too sure why, but those were the days.

Is it still there? As a rusty monument

St Christopher's place is still nice, unlike carnaby street, it still has its own feel.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244856
    2. Missing the old HUKD for sale area.55
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322810
    4. Leicester sack their manager!33

See more discussions