Camelcamelcamel stops service to help fight against COVID-19 price gouging and stock

Posted 1st Apr
Good on them for doing their bit and taking a hit.

I presume HukD was asked to stop this too... I wonder what the response was? Anyone shed light?

On March 23, 2020, I had a conversation with Amazon EU where they said they were asking all affiliates to stop sending traffic to their sites during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. This is due to most items being out of stock, and their desire to focus on getting the necessities to people who need them.

We believe this logic. It doesn't help anyone except the toilet paper hoarders if all of the deals blogs of the world notify people when inventory is back and those few tech savvy people end up with all the supply. Everyone needs access to necessities, not just those who are savvy enough to know how to monitor inventory.

We have also seen proof that almost everything is out of stock in places like Spain and Italy: our sites in those countries appeared broken for much of the last week, and we couldn't find the bug. It turns out that everything was simply out of stock, so we weren't discovering any price drops anyway; we were just adding load to Amazon's systems for very little gain.

Everyone is worried about price gouging. But the only price gouging we've seen is from third party merchants, not Amazon itself, and they have promised to do more to prevent this behavior. One way they are doing so is to limit third party shipments to their warehouses. No third party inventory means no opportunity for third party price gouging.

All that being said, we are working on a new product search engine which will allow users to look at our existing data. Our current search engine is based on Amazon's API, which we cannot use, so it is being replaced. It will not have new prices being added during this crisis, but at least the existing data will be available. We hope to have this online soon, but it is not a small task.

Thank you for your continued support. Stay safe out there.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
sfunny but to me denying people access to historical price data seems like aiding and abetting price gouging...
10 Comments
AndyRoyd01/04/2020 19:34

Old news https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/40214680

Suppose the other half of their message is about tech savy people being alerted when key products are back in stock.
Putting a block on household supplies would be a ethical move at the moment i suppose.
sfunny but to me denying people access to historical price data seems like aiding and abetting price gouging...
They're not updating amazon products any more in Europe due to a request from amazon. Why would that be? The reason I ask is that I have been looking for hair clippers since the barbers are all closed and my last one won't charge any more. I have probably had 4 different hair clipper sin the last 15 year and never paid more than 20-30 for them. Since Covid, I see the own clippers close to this range are beard clippers, with normal hair clippers delivered by Amazon being greatly inflated in price, inducing one that close me under 30 not costing over 100. Are there shenanigans going on?
I believe it’s because people have being setting reports up for items they believe would be in demand during a pandemic and snapping them all up to make a profit.

Makes it harder to be done if there is no way of finding prices without checking each individually.
Rune, I'm based in Ireland Amazon has free delivery here so I usually buy from them, all the Argos' are closed. It was more to do with the fact that the prices have shot up on clippers as Iknow the old prices on some of them from my past purchase invoices, now there are no reports so it is hard to tell if we are getting a good deal. That is why I use camels, literally everything on Amazon has a discount price but we all know that is nonsense because many of the products were never that price to begin with, hence the need for camels, without it I'm gonna stop buying basically.
Makes me wonder if Amazon is cashing in
spanner7905/04/2020 10:33

I believe it’s because people have being setting reports up for items they …I believe it’s because people have being setting reports up for items they believe would be in demand during a pandemic and snapping them all up to make a profit.Makes it harder to be done if there is no way of finding prices without checking each individually.

Also makes it impossible to see what historic prices were, which clearly benefits any price gougers selling through Amazon.
Anyone have the reason for why they have stopped the historic prices? The historic prices let us know if we are getting ripped off or not, I can 100% verify that many of the prices have more than doubled and I've seen a clipper on ebay that I bought for 21.99 going for 149.99! And they are selling for those crazy prices.

Unfortunately some people will thing that they are that expensive because they are top notch, not because they are budget items that are being inflated due to all the barbers being closed. Camels helps with this, not hinders it, I'm calling shenanigans on this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions