Camera / camcorder

Posted 6th Dec 2019
My daughter is going to be performing in a local concert on piano and I want to record the performance.
I tried with my existing camcorder (without external mic feature), due to the distance of about 15m-20m between the audience and the piano, the recorded sound was just not clear (image OK with zoom).
Any way to record the sound clearly without much white noise (cheaply)? If there was no 'cheap' way and need to get another camera / camcorder, I am hoping to spend max. around £200 to get the sound right.
What would you recommend for a budget camera / camcorder for the job?
Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
I don’t think you’re going to get a camcorder in that price range that’s going to get you good sound in that scenario I’m afraid :/

You could but a second hand Zoom H1 audio recorder for £50/60 ish and place it on stage. That would work. Trick is to be close to the sound source.
Thanks. I was hoping an half decent camera with external mic input, then buy an wireless mic. Place the mic on the piano to get good sound, wireless inputting to the camera. Would that work?
"Any way to record the sound clearly without much white noise (cheaply)"
Could you test several smartphones with recording apps and give the one which gave the best results to your daughter ? Then in processing stage you add the sound on top of the video.
You'll need to experiment with mikeing a piano, if the mike or audio recorder is on it, you may pick up too much of the mechanical action by direct vibration.
Also, with a separate audio and video recording, it would help if there was some clear cue to synchronize, like the way a clapper board works in film
matth999907/12/2019 00:22

You'll need to experiment with mikeing a piano, if the mike or audio …You'll need to experiment with mikeing a piano, if the mike or audio recorder is on it, you may pick up too much of the mechanical action by direct vibration.Also, with a separate audio and video recording, it would help if there was some clear cue to synchronize, like the way a clapper board works in film

Thank you, that's a very good tip.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions