Camera for non-blurry family photos?

Found 10th Jan
Hi, i'm hoping to buy a camera (maybe DSLR?) to allow me to take nice photos of my 2 children. I currently use my Lenovo p2 phone but as you know, toddlers don't stay still often and every photo comes out blurry. I also have a Nikon J2 but even that tends to produce blurry photos if inside with little natural light. What would you suggest? Im happy to spend £200 or a little more and also happy to buy second hand off eBay or similar. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hayley

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

£200 isnt going to get you much of a DSLR. Probably better off getting a phone with a better camera.

if the kids are forever moving around, you could take a video instead. then freeze the video at the appropriate point and use photoshop or microsoft paint to create a photo

Original Poster

master1048 m ago

£200 isnt going to get you much of a DSLR. Probably better off getting a …£200 isnt going to get you much of a DSLR. Probably better off getting a phone with a better camera.

I doubt i'd get a phone for £200 with a better camera than I have now. And I love my p2. Not even a second hand DSLR? An older spec?

Original Poster

mutley19 m ago

if the kids are forever moving around, you could take a video instead. …if the kids are forever moving around, you could take a video instead. then freeze the video at the appropriate point and use photoshop or microsoft paint to create a photo

I guess I could do that but that would mean me messing around after taking photos and I barely have time to sit down right now. With my p2, even videos go blurry when the kids move. Are there not any older models of DSLR that I could get for £200 or more? Or even a good compact?

hfullwood37 m ago

I guess I could do that but that would mean me messing around after taking …I guess I could do that but that would mean me messing around after taking photos and I barely have time to sit down right now. With my p2, even videos go blurry when the kids move. Are there not any older models of DSLR that I could get for £200 or more? Or even a good compact?

if you are looking for second hand cameras, you could look at gumtree.

i take a video of our dog sometimes using my phone and he is always moving, but i don't get the blurry picture. i only get the blurry picture when i take a photo and his tail wags as his tail wags at super speed

Note 8

Before buying have you tried forced flash?
Edited by: "OllieSt" 10th Jan

Can easily do it for under £200, keep an eye out for a Canon 1000D/1100D/1200D, obviously the 1200D is the best if you can catch one going cheap, I'd try get one with the 18-55mm kit lens. Add a 50mm F1.8 Lens and you'll have a brilliant setup for portraits etc. Can get some amazing pics. The 50mm F1.8 is about £80, it's worth it for portrait type shots, you could get that later on and use the 18-55mm kit lens to begin. You can get Chinese clones of the 50mm F1.8 for about £40 but I'm not sure how they compare.

hfullwood1 h, 19 m ago

I guess I could do that but that would mean me messing around after taking …I guess I could do that but that would mean me messing around after taking photos and I barely have time to sit down right now. With my p2, even videos go blurry when the kids move. Are there not any older models of DSLR that I could get for £200 or more? Or even a good compact?

Please ignore Mutley's stupid ideas, one of the most useless people on this site. You'll get a useless low quality picture doing that.

hfullwood1 h, 51 m ago

I doubt i'd get a phone for £200 with a better camera than I have now. And …I doubt i'd get a phone for £200 with a better camera than I have now. And I love my p2. Not even a second hand DSLR? An older spec?

Maybe thought sell your phone and put £200 in wouldnt be far off an s8 or similar. Or as stated above check gumtree or ebay. Even see sold listings on ebay to see what you are expecting in your budget.

I doubt you need to buy a new camera.
Just increase the ISO, use a faster shutter speed and/or use the flash, if it's got one. Or use another flash triggered by the camera's inbuilt flash.
Also switch the room lights on, if it's too dark.

Original Poster

dcx_badass3 h, 7 m ago

Can easily do it for under £200, keep an eye out for a Canon …Can easily do it for under £200, keep an eye out for a Canon 1000D/1100D/1200D, obviously the 1200D is the best if you can catch one going cheap, I'd try get one with the 18-55mm kit lens. Add a 50mm F1.8 Lens and you'll have a brilliant setup for portraits etc. Can get some amazing pics. The 50mm F1.8 is about £80, it's worth it for portrait type shots, you could get that later on and use the 18-55mm kit lens to begin. You can get Chinese clones of the 50mm F1.8 for about £40 but I'm not sure how they compare.Please ignore Mutley's stupid ideas, one of the most useless people on this site. You'll get a useless low quality picture doing that.

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll have a look out for one of those. I did have a look on eBay before however I felt lost. Thanks again for the guidance!

Original Poster

Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 56 m ago

I doubt you need to buy a new camera.Just increase the ISO, use a faster …I doubt you need to buy a new camera.Just increase the ISO, use a faster shutter speed and/or use the flash, if it's got one. Or use another flash triggered by the camera's inbuilt flash.Also switch the room lights on, if it's too dark.

Ok, thanks, do you think maybe I'm just not using my Nikon correctly? And that it should be capable? Or am I better selling the Nikon j2 (looks like I may be able to get roughly £100) and buying a canon? I'm a complete beginner with photography so I apologise if I'm sounding stupid.

hfullwood20 m ago

Ok, thanks, do you think maybe I'm just not using my Nikon correctly? And …Ok, thanks, do you think maybe I'm just not using my Nikon correctly? And that it should be capable? Or am I better selling the Nikon j2 (looks like I may be able to get roughly £100) and buying a canon? I'm a complete beginner with photography so I apologise if I'm sounding stupid.

Nikon’s mirrorless cameras suck.
Though try the camera on sports for pics of the kids. Less blurry but will need good light.

Photography is all about light. The more you have the easier and cheaper it is to get a good picture. Don’t throw money at the problem. Figure out what you need.

Do you tend to take snaps in the same place, use brighter lighting.
If you are in different locations, consider a flash for the J2.

Get a second hand canon600d

hfullwood13 h, 39 m ago

Ok, thanks, do you think maybe I'm just not using my Nikon correctly? And …Ok, thanks, do you think maybe I'm just not using my Nikon correctly? And that it should be capable? Or am I better selling the Nikon j2 (looks like I may be able to get roughly £100) and buying a canon? I'm a complete beginner with photography so I apologise if I'm sounding stupid.

Possibly. I'm not familiar with that camera though.
But, I'm guessing you're using it in P mode, which is full automatic mode.
Sometimes it's necessary to take manual control over the camera.
There could also be settings on the camera (maybe physical buttons or within the menus) for A (Aperture Priority) S (Shutter Priority) and M (Manual Mode).

You could start by experimenting with S. That will allow you to speed up or down the shutter speed.
The higher the numbers i.e. 1/500 or 1/1000 will allow you to freeze the motion of the subject.
But, because you're talking photos in a darken room, you will also have to increase the ISO value to higher numbers too.
Maybe ISO 800 or even ISO 3200 etc.
Certain cameras will take care of the ISO for you. It could be a setting within the menus called Auto ISO.

Buying a "better" can help, but the basic principles of taking photos will still apply no matter which camera you use.
There's basically three things to adjust when taking photos: ISO (the sensor's sensitivity to light), Aperture (the amount of light the lens lets in and onto the sensor) and Shutter (how long the sensor is exposed to the scene).

The best way to learn is to practice, start by getting used to the camera and its controls.
Then move on to practising the types of photography you like, before you do them for "real".
Take a series of photos as practise and look at them on your computer screen, comparing each shot and the settings you used to each other.

The best place to learn would be YouTube, search for "Learning Photography" or "Basics of Photography", things like that.

We're here to help if you get stuck though

OP don't spend money on a camera, learn how to use the one you've got.

Need J1 settings for taking pictures of kids. I'm sure the link will apply for J2 too.

Check your auto ISOmax setting
Edited by: "OllieSt" 11th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions