Camera help

Posted 9th Nov
Hi all, I am looking at buying my first proper camera.

Looking for something that will take better photos of our dog and could be used on holiday. Looking at spending around £400 to £500.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for, there seems to be a few good deals around at the minute but is it likely to be better if I wait for black Friday? Is there any quality difference between a DSLR in this price range and mirrorless camera? Thank you for any advice.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

42 Comments
A one plus 7t
No point buying cameras unless your a photographer these days as it’ll be out of date in less than a year. Get a decent phone with a good camera.
cmdr_elito09/11/2019 18:54

No point buying cameras unless your a photographer these days as it’ll be o …No point buying cameras unless your a photographer these days as it’ll be out of date in less than a year. Get a decent phone with a good camera.

Hehe exactly my point
Canon EOS-M50 or any of the M range, depending on if you need a mic port or viewfinder etc.
Ignore the 'get a phone with a decent camera' brigade. Generally, mirrorless cameras will be smaller and lighter than a dslr. Sensor size matters in lowlight scenarios. Smallest sensor is the Micro Four Third cameras, followed by APS-C and then Full Frame. Lens quality matters with cameras. Kit lens are generally the poorer quality (zoom) lens (there are exceptions), though adequate when starting out. This is in your price range with a rated zoom lens.
"Looking for something that will take better photos of our dog"

PLEASE PLEASE UNDERSTAND

Cameras/Phones do NOT take photographs

People do !

It's you that takes a good or bad photograph. (a bad workman always blames his tools).
joyf453609/11/2019 21:04

"Looking for something that will take better photos of our dog"PLEASE …"Looking for something that will take better photos of our dog"PLEASE PLEASE UNDERSTANDCameras/Phones do NOT take photographsPeople do !It's you that takes a good or bad photograph. (a bad workman always blames his tools).

You sound like you know what you are talking about, which camera and lens would you suggest in this price range?
Whammerhead09/11/2019 20:57

Ignore the 'get a phone with a decent camera' brigade. Generally, …Ignore the 'get a phone with a decent camera' brigade. Generally, mirrorless cameras will be smaller and lighter than a dslr. Sensor size matters in lowlight scenarios. Smallest sensor is the Micro Four Third cameras, followed by APS-C and then Full Frame. Lens quality matters with cameras. Kit lens are generally the poorer quality (zoom) lens (there are exceptions), though adequate when starting out. This is in your price range with a rated zoom lens.

Thank you very much, I'll have a look at it
dpue24309/11/2019 21:31

You sound like you know what you are talking about, which camera and lens …You sound like you know what you are talking about, which camera and lens would you suggest in this price range?

To be honest, spend £100 on a good point and shoot digital camera.

Hubby has a box somewhere with a couple of Hasselblads and a Cambo 5/4 (Google might help here) but if you don't know how to compose a photograph they are useless.
joyf453609/11/2019 21:37

To be honest, spend £100 on a good point and shoot digital camera.Hubby …To be honest, spend £100 on a good point and shoot digital camera.Hubby has a box somewhere with a couple of Hasselblads and a Cambo 5/4 (Google might help here) but if you don't know how to compose a photograph they are useless.

Okay maybe you don't know what you're talking about thanks.
dpue24309/11/2019 21:43

Okay maybe you don't know what you're talking about thanks.

30 years as a professional photographer v you! If you don't know what you are doing a better camera will make no difference to anything but your bank account.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 9th Nov
joyf453609/11/2019 21:44

30 years as a professional photographer v you! If you don't know what you …30 years as a professional photographer v you! If you don't know what you are doing a better camera will make no difference to anything but your bank account.

Well then any advice for someone starting out and looking for a camera?
dpue24309/11/2019 21:47

Well then any advice for someone starting out and looking for a camera?

Learn to take photographs first before spending any amount of money. Basically any £100+ camera (or often much less) will take great photographs in the right hands.
I dropped in hoping there might be some useful starting points as I haven’t replaced my camera in a decade and it’s showing its age and I need a better zoom , but I think I’m back off to google !
tinkerbellian09/11/2019 21:58

I dropped in hoping there might be some useful starting points as I …I dropped in hoping there might be some useful starting points as I haven’t replaced my camera in a decade and it’s showing its age and I need a better zoom , but I think I’m back off to google !

A better zoom !
joyf453609/11/2019 21:50

Learn to take photographs first before spending any amount of money. …Learn to take photographs first before spending any amount of money. Basically any £100+ camera (or often much less) will take great photographs in the right hands.

I am absolutely convinced digital cameras are a blessing and a curse. When I started off taking pics the cost of the film and the developing costs ensured I learnt quite quickly. I can remember writing down the ASA/exp of each shot and analsying the results. For me it was half the fun of photography.
OllieSt09/11/2019 22:02

I am absolutely convinced digital cameras are a blessing and a curse. …I am absolutely convinced digital cameras are a blessing and a curse. When I started off taking pics the cost of the film and the developing costs ensured I learnt quite quickly. I can remember writing down the ASA/exp of each shot and analsying the results. For me it was half the fun of photography.

Yep and carrying around a 5/4 in a large box and a heavy tripod with just 2 sheets of film made sure that you got it right. (No zoom) - no excuses.
joyf453609/11/2019 21:59

A better zoom !

As I say I haven’t bought a camera in over a decade , do they no longer have optical zooms? Or are you highlighting the phrase because I’m not looking for a professional camera and this is below your standards ?

The issue I had was last week I was on the coast photographing seals , my poor old camera just couldn’t get close enough , I’m not looking for a whole bag of lenses but a camera that will cope with that scenario.
I’m not looking for a professional camera and this is below your standards ?

Read my previous comments, I do not advocate expensive cameras for the reasons I have outlined.
joyf453609/11/2019 22:12

I’m not looking for a professional camera and this is below your standards …I’m not looking for a professional camera and this is below your standards ?Read my precious comments, I do not advocate expensive cameras for the reasons I have outlined.

I’m sorry then , I genuinely don’t understand why you have quoted the fact I’m looking for a stronger zoom on my next camera than I have at the moment . Maybe I’m using the wrong terminology, maybe there’s another issue for you .
tinkerbellian09/11/2019 22:21

I’m sorry then , I genuinely don’t understand why you have quoted the fact …I’m sorry then , I genuinely don’t understand why you have quoted the fact I’m looking for a stronger zoom on my next camera than I have at the moment . Maybe I’m using the wrong terminology, maybe there’s another issue for you .

The original question/comment (NOT YOURS) was "looking for something that will take better photos of our dog"

For a specific purpose a specific piece of equipment might be required. A zoom with a longer focal length might be what
you are seeking (rather than the terminology of a BETTER zoom).
joyf453609/11/2019 21:50

Learn to take photographs first before spending any amount of money. …Learn to take photographs first before spending any amount of money. Basically any £100+ camera (or often much less) will take great photographs in the right hands.

Will it take good enough selfies and photos of my food for Instagram?
joyf453609/11/2019 22:28

The original question/comment (NOT YOURS) was "looking for something that …The original question/comment (NOT YOURS) was "looking for something that will take better photos of our dog" For a specific purpose a specific piece of equipment might be required. A zoom with a longer focal length might be whatyou are seeking (rather than the terminology of a BETTER zoom).

The reason I mentioned photos of my dog is because it would normally be a moving object. From what I understand this means that I need something with a quick shutter speed.
dpue24309/11/2019 22:30

Will it take good enough selfies and photos of my food for Instagram?

It won't - but you could using it - it won't take photographs, it will just record the photographs you take digitally for you.
dpue24309/11/2019 22:34

The reason I mentioned photos of my dog is because it would normally be a …The reason I mentioned photos of my dog is because it would normally be a moving object. From what I understand this means that I need something with a quick shutter speed.

Yes so control over the camera's selection of shutter speed over depth of field would be useful but most decent half decent cameras would have this option/mode/setting or whatever they call it . (Shutter priority or similar)
dpue24309/11/2019 22:34

The reason I mentioned photos of my dog is because it would normally be a …The reason I mentioned photos of my dog is because it would normally be a moving object. From what I understand this means that I need something with a quick shutter speed.

Sony A6300 is perfect but expensive. It has best in class continuous autofocus. (watch the video)
Edited by: "OllieSt" 9th Nov
OllieSt09/11/2019 22:43

Sony A6300 is perfect but expensive. It has best in class continuous …Sony A6300 is perfect but expensive. It has best in class continuous autofocus. (watch the video)

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

How would this compare? I wouldn't want to spend that much at the beginning.
OllieSt09/11/2019 22:43

Sony A6300 is perfect but expensive. It has best in class continuous …Sony A6300 is perfect but expensive. It has best in class continuous autofocus.

Depending how close you are to it, (relative speed across the frame) a reasonable shutter speed might be required but even a jet-propelled greyhound on steroids in a F1 car doesn't need a 4000th of a second.

People can spend what they want (obviously) but it does not mean they will take better photographs. You won't become an
Ansel Adams, Cartier-Bresson, Terry Cryer or Steve McCurry (add your own favourite) by buying a better camera.
joyf453609/11/2019 22:52

Depending how close you are to it, (relative speed across the frame) a …Depending how close you are to it, (relative speed across the frame) a reasonable shutter speed might be required but even a jet-propelled greyhound on steroids in a F1 car doesn't need a 4000th of a second.People can spend what they want (obviously) but it does not mean they will take better photographs. You won't become anAnsel Adams, Cartier-Bresson, Terry Cryer or Steve McCurry (add your own favourite) by buying a better camera.

What is the best camera you could buy for £500?
dpue24309/11/2019 22:54

What is the best camera you could buy for £500?

Déjà vu !!

Depending how close you are to it, (relative speed across the frame) a …Depending how close you are to it, (relative speed across the frame) a reasonable shutter speed might be required but even a jet-propelled greyhound on steroids in a F1 car doesn't need a 4000th of a second.People can spend what they want (obviously) but it does not mean they will take better photographs. You won't become anAnsel Adams, Cartier-Bresson, Terry Cryer or Steve McCurry (add your own favourite) by buying a better camera.

Yeah I know all that but the Sony AF tracking is allegedly very impressive.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 9th Nov
@dpue243

The above comments are reasonable.

You have two routes to take better photos ( You are looking for your first camera that will take better photos of our dog and could be used on holiday and have a budget of <£500.)

1. Spend ~ £100 for any compact camera and then learn the skills by analysing the effect of manual controls and see through the view-finder. Then upgrade with skills and experience. The key is the discovery of self: what you can do and what you want to do sustainably.

2. Spend <£500 on any Sony, Canon, Fujifilm, Olympus & Panasonic and just learn as you go. They are much of the muchness for everyday point and shot compact for your dog and holidays.` What you found, SONY a6000 Mirrorless Camera will do very nicely. I got a similar Sony, for functionality and smaller, RX100 series IV.

In my opinion, better shots come about because of 80% skills/experience, 10% on accessories and 10% on camera hardware for casual hobbie interests shots.
If anyone says a phone has the capability of taking pictures like a half decent DSLR & lense then they are talking rubbish.

Any photo is about the lense & sensor. These cannot be replicated in a phone at the moment.
First off, do some research! Work out what you need from a camera and then narrow down your options within your budget.

"what's the best camera for £500 is a pointless question". The best for what? You could buy an ageing dslr or a brand new p&s or anything in between.

If you think just having a fast shutter speed will get you crisp photo's of a moving object, I refer to my first comment. There's lots of info out there, do yourself a favour and read up on it - that'll save you wasting a lot of money on something that but right for you.
Useful comments. I just started a thread and have been hit already with buy a phone. I’m looking for my teenage daughter who wants a better camera than my old Nikon point and shoot and to use when she starts her GCSE photography.
I’d recommend a second canon 600d or similar and a 50mm 1.8mm and learn how to use it and see if you like the hassle of lugging a dslr and lenses round, I do and have upgraded, but it’ll give you valuable experience
Edited by: "snoopy18" 10th Nov

I read all your replies and glad I wasn’t asking, I find non of them helpful at all
No mention of what’s a good camera at all, just a bit elitist I thought
snoopy1810/11/2019 19:18

I read all your replies and glad I wasn’t asking, I find non of them h …I read all your replies and glad I wasn’t asking, I find non of them helpful at all No mention of what’s a good camera at all, just a bit elitist I thought

Yeah I was expecting someone to say what would be a good camera to learn with and maybe what to steer clear off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants