Camera Question - help buying a new compact camera.

Found 24th Jul 2017
Hi Guys -
We are going on holiday soon and i would like to purchase a new compact digital camera to allow me to take better pictures than my iphone 7.

I currently have a bridge camera - its a Panasonic DMC FZ-38, its been a good camera but in truth its just too big and bulky to take around the pool or carry about on a night out whilst on holiday.

I would like to purchase a new camera - but this time a nice smaller one (something easy to carry), but with a similar spec capability as my panasonic bridge camera.

I'm only a very novice user and these are the main things i would like in my new camera -
# Something with a large zoom capability, my current Panasonic can zoom upto x 18
# Something where i can upload photos by wifi to my camera phone to allow me to use my photo editors such as Instagram, Snapseed and Enlight.
# Something that can produce nice sharp images in day and poor light conditions and can also give that "Bokeh" effect of blurred background images when your main image is in focus.

As i say im a novice user so preferably something very easy to operate.

My budget is around £150/200 - please can anyone recommend something??

8 Comments

Shallow depth of field is hard to achieve on a compact as the sensors and lenses are usually really small. You can get decent software based results, I'm certain a few compacts have built in modes for just that.

Also, it's been a while since I've bought a compact but I imagine you'll need to downgrade your expectations when it comes to zoom too, a lot of compacts zoom digitally to increase the zoom so make sure you are looking at optical zoom rating.

I'd be interested to see what people suggest though.

after trying a few went for a panasonic dmc tz80 was which mag choice

compact and has post focus

johnlewis.com/can…ple

Not quite as much optical zoom as the Panny, but I find the Ixus range so small and user friendly.

Im looking for the same but not that bothered about zoom, more about quality.
Iv been considering the Fuji XQ1 as it has larger than usual sensor size and has great reviews, but its quite old now.
Is there any compacts with larger size sensor for under £200, 1" Inch sensor are obivously much more expensive and the XQ1 seems in the middle

Sandy1012

Im looking for the same but not that bothered about zoom, more about … Im looking for the same but not that bothered about zoom, more about quality.Iv been considering the Fuji XQ1 as it has larger than usual sensor size and has great reviews, but its quite old now.Is there any compacts with larger size sensor for under £200, 1" Inch sensor are obivously much more expensive and the XQ1 seems in the middle

canon eos m10 was £199 couple of months ago in Currys, maybe worth monitoring it.

Ruffuz

canon eos m10 was £199 couple of months ago in Currys, maybe worth … canon eos m10 was £199 couple of months ago in Currys, maybe worth monitoring it.

Thanks
I have a canon eos M from a couple of years back which im super happy with, lovely high clarity pictures with the blurred background. I use it for work and for great family pictures and so glad I didnt buy a bridge camera

Just wish I had a smaller pocket one for holidays with a large sensor within budget

I wouldn't bother.

The only benefit you're going to get out of a compact around that price point is the zoom lens. It'll be a downgrade in every other department - quality, low-light, speed and responsiveness, flexibility, sharing, quality of the viewfinder display, buffer size, features, overall convenience, etc. The hardware (besides the lens) of a cheap compact just can't compete with the hardware of a high-end smartphone, and, following that, nor can the software.

If you want a reasonable upgrade (particularly for shots shot at night, with a shallow depth of field) see about digging a tiny bit deeper and picking up a used Canon 600D with a 50mm 1.8f lens. Otherwise, you're really going to struggle to find a product that's worth the pocket space.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions