Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Camera to monitor some Guinea Pigs in work from home

Posted 9th Feb
Hoping somebody can help. I have a friend who works in a school with a classroom full of Guinea Pigs as pets. She asked me about a good quality night vision camera she can use to monitor them via her laptop or smartphone at home. The room at school is equipped with Wifi so not an issue there.

What camera would you recommend please. I have looked at a few but I`m going around in circles as some require a subscription service, SD Cards for recording...etc..etc. She would just like to view them via a live stream at night before going to bed so night vision is essential.

Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I went for this, which I think is very good.

APEMAN WiFi Camera, 1080P FHD IP... amazon.co.uk/dp/…are
Munch198109/02/2020 09:18

I went for this, which I think is very good.APEMAN WiFi Camera, 1080P FHD …I went for this, which I think is very good.APEMAN WiFi Camera, 1080P FHD IP... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JLBBRNG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thank you, will check this out
I’d have thought there would be rules on streaming a live feed from a classroom - has the schools DPO agreed to this?
richard1909/02/2020 09:21

I’d have thought there would be rules on streaming a live feed from a c …I’d have thought there would be rules on streaming a live feed from a classroom - has the schools DPO agreed to this?

I`m going to stress this to her, good point! maybe they will not allow it anyhow
Apeman is good frank. Im using one by Victure at present. No issues at all - amazon.co.uk/Vic…8-3
vassy2i09/02/2020 09:27

Apeman is good frank. Im using one by Victure at present. No issues at all …Apeman is good frank. Im using one by Victure at present. No issues at all - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wireless-Detection-Security-Surveillance/dp/B07CB14GTB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=10SEN4H29AVB0&keywords=victure+camera&qid=1581240423&sprefix=Victure%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-3

Thanks Vassy, hope your keeping alright buddy
Frank30uk09/02/2020 09:24

I`m going to stress this to her, good point! maybe they will not allow it …I`m going to stress this to her, good point! maybe they will not allow it anyhow

if you can attach an IP camera to your network and it punches through the firewall with no fuss they are doing network security all wrong. I’d be very surprised that it would even work.
Dannyrobbo09/02/2020 10:03

if you can attach an IP camera to your network and it punches through the …if you can attach an IP camera to your network and it punches through the firewall with no fuss they are doing network security all wrong. I’d be very surprised that it would even work.

Haha, true. I don`t think for one minute the owners will allow this anyway
Munch198109/02/2020 09:18

I went for this, which I think is very good.APEMAN WiFi Camera, 1080P FHD …I went for this, which I think is very good.APEMAN WiFi Camera, 1080P FHD IP... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JLBBRNG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Frank30uk09/02/2020 09:21

Thank you, will check this out

The camera I have is (presently £49.99 - 5% discount) a lot more expensive than the one @Munch1981 posted, so the APEMAN product may be adequate for your needs. I bought my NETVUE product in an Amazon Lightning Deal last year (at £35.74).

It is a "NETVUE Home Security Camera, Work with Alexa Echo show 360 degree View, Wireless IP Camera with AI. Human Detection P/T/Z, TF Card Record, 2 Way Audio, Night Vision, Baby Monitor, Pet Camera":

[ amazon.co.uk/gp/…WN/ ]

It needs a WiFi connection with a frequency of 2.4GHz, & you do need to create a free account with NetVue to use it, but it does not need a subscription service unless you are planning to use the motion detection feature.

PS. "...12 individual IR LEDs technology extend the viewing distance up to 32 feet in pitch dark..."
deleted1781209/02/2020 10:28

The camera I have is (presently £49.99 - 5% discount) a lot more expensive …The camera I have is (presently £49.99 - 5% discount) a lot more expensive than the one @Munch1981 posted, so the APEMAN product may be adequate for your needs. I bought my NETVUE product in an Amazon Lightning Deal last year (at £35.74).It is a "NETVUE Home Security Camera, Work with Alexa Echo show 360 degree View, Wireless IP Camera with AI. Human Detection P/T/Z, TF Card Record, 2 Way Audio, Night Vision, Baby Monitor, Pet Camera":[ https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075MWTFWN/ ]It needs a WiFi connection with a frequency of 2.4GHz, & you do need to create a free account with NetVue to use it, but it does not need a subscription service unless you are planning to use the motion detection feature.PS. "...12 individual IR LEDs technology extend the viewing distance up to 32 feet in pitch dark..."

Thank you, I`ll mention this one also
Frank30uk09/02/2020 10:39

Thank you, I`ll mention this one also

You're welcome.

Since my (last) dog passed away (years ago now), I (well, all of my family) look after dogs owned by other people when they go on holiday.

The dog with us at home now does not make much noise & just stands by our back door when she wants to go into the garden. I have set-up my camera facing the door (& the NetVue "app" on my telephone allows the movement of the security camera lens in four directions) so I can see if she is waiting to go out without having to constantly go & check. I was surprised with the clarity on the first night I used the camera (without any other light source), so I expect it will be suitable for your friend's requirement.

I do appreciate that there is significant price difference between the two models mentioned though.

PS. One of my kids has some pet rats, & has previously used the camera below to monitor the rat cage when away from home:

"YI Dome Camera 1080p HD Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wireless IP Security Surveillance System Night Vision Cloud Service Available"
[ amazon.co.uk/gp/…2C/ ]

Sorry... I know a third option isn't much use if you are trying to make a decision
Edited by: "fanpages" 9th Feb
deleted1781209/02/2020 10:56

You're welcome.Since my (last) dog passed away (years ago now), I (well, …You're welcome.Since my (last) dog passed away (years ago now), I (well, all of my family) look after dogs owned by other people when they go on holiday.The dog with us at home now does not make much noise & just stands by our back door when she wants to go into the garden. I have set-up my camera facing the door (& the NetVue "app" on my telephone allows the movement of the security camera lens in four directions) so I can see if she is waiting to go out without having to constantly go & check. I was surprised with the clarity on the first night I used the camera (without any other light source), so I expect it will be suitable for your friend's requirement.I do appreciate that there is significant price difference between the two models mentioned though.

They are ideal for this type of situation. I`m glad your happy with yours. Thanks again for all of your help, your a star
Frank30uk09/02/2020 10:10

Haha, true. I don`t think for one minute the owners will allow this anyway

Dont see why not as long as it's pointing at the Guinea pigs

Anyway isn't she getting too attached for a classroom pet? I've never seen teacher's pets apart from those rats who would tell the teacher you forgot homework or snitch on me

Who owns them? Is she the only teacher? If it's her class than why would a school get Guinea pigs and make teachers look after and feed them
Or is she just a teaching assistant and the main teacher owns them? Which is more likely
Edited by: "Norseg" 9th Feb
Flipping the question slightly, if they did see something wrong, would they even be able to get access to the school outside of hours to take any action?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants