Found 15th May
Going on our yearly camping trip next week and have decided to opt for an electric hook up this time. I've seen mixed reviews as to whether the cable we bring along should have it's own RCD switch. Hoping someone could offer some advice on whether this is right. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

13 Comments

A lot of campsites I've been to don't specify what is required as they have a RCD built into their box you plug into, but a lot of them do and I've even had some specify the colour of the cable. X)

I just bought one from GO Outdoors in the end as it was a lot easier.

Original Poster

I'd seen something about the boxes having their own built in switches. Was trying to save a few quid as there seems to be quite a price difference between the two but better to be safe than sorry I guess. If we're turned away because it's the wrong colour we'll just have to spend the money on extra jumpers, how ridiculous! Thanks for your reply.

stephb88

I'd seen something about the boxes having their own built in switches. … I'd seen something about the boxes having their own built in switches. Was trying to save a few quid as there seems to be quite a price difference between the two but better to be safe than sorry I guess. If we're turned away because it's the wrong colour we'll just have to spend the money on extra jumpers, how ridiculous! Thanks for your reply.

​why not ring the campsite your going to?

Original Poster

Their website asks for calls to be kept between 9am and 7pm so was just looking for a quick answer so I can order now. Thanks though.

you don't need it no but it is advisable. We've camped in probably 100+ sites and only got one a couple of years ago. Millets and Black's. do a decent one for about £30. I think it's Eurocamp branded.
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 15th May

Original Poster

you_gotta_be_kidding

you don't need it no but it is advisable. We've camped in probably 100+ … you don't need it no but it is advisable. We've camped in probably 100+ sites and only got one a couple of years ago. Miller's do a decent one for about £30. I think it's Eurocamp branded.

Thanks very much. Wouldn't have a clue which one was any good either so that's helpful.
Edited by: "stephb88" 15th May

not suggesting you do it yourself but if you have a spare extension cable, buy a plug from a camping shop, wire it to extension, job done.

example of plug
hids-direct.co.uk/may…HAQ

always a good idea to have a socket tester as well, example

diy.com/dep…JUg
Edited by: "shadey12" 15th May

It was something like this we got from GO Outdoors (on Amazon):

Crusader V762 Mains Supply Unit with 3 Sockets 20 m Cable amazon.co.uk/dp/…D62

few discount code about

Original Poster

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

shadey12

not suggesting you do it yourself but if you have a spare extension … not suggesting you do it yourself but if you have a spare extension cable, buy a plug from a camping shop, wire it to extension, job done.example of plughttp://www.hids-direct.co.uk/maypole-230v-site-plug/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo-XIBRCOycL7hsuI_NoBEiQAuS6HtEdV_hwgYaQHYbUqlwjcLApnjTDHYsJdA5Yi-Sl8rVYaAmKW8P8HAQalways a good idea to have a socket tester as well, examplehttp://www.diy.com/departments/bq-230v-socket-tester/178677_BQ.prd?ecamp=Seapla&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700020304404015&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo-XIBRCOycL7hsuI_NoBEiQAuS6HtLL6kp4ARoro6xGBA0AwMhKUCvuSYgPTSQpumcooJdMaAtoB8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COzL1uLi8tMCFWIj0wodp5wJUg

​Terrible advice. For a start, proper electric hookup cables are bright green or preferably orange for a reason, so they can be seen especially by grass cutters. Also, a standard extension won't have an RCD or MCB fitted, and the cable may not be rated for the current needed.

I have this one
m.millets.co.uk/pro…11/

It's only 10amp. Some hook ups are 16. So even if you are hooked up to a 16 amp supply you'll only get 10. Trips out if you go over.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions