Can 4GB work well on Win 10?

Found 14th JanEdited by:"Quicklite"
Tempted to pickup a 2nd hand laptop for the occasional office stuff by a friend, who doesn't know much about laptops.

It has 4th gen i5, 4GB RAM (not-upgradeable) and 128GB SSD - obviously I think the RAM soldered on board is the bottleneck here. Does anyone have experience with a similar low RAM + SSD setup?

Would be presumably for MS word, email, etc, a cheeky odd youtube clip from time to time. I'm thinking it'll probably do - just have a bit reservation about the low RAM. I suppose the SSD can act as quite fast cache drive when it runs out of RAM?

Thanks for any tips.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
It will work. There is a but though, if planning to work with a number of excel spreadsheets, addins etc it may crash or be very slow. Should be fine for word or internet, again there may be a limit on the number of word documents you can have open at same time.

The swap file can act as ram but doesn’t make much difference really.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 14th Jan
Depends on what you want to do with it but I would prefer 8GB on most of my systems. 4GB would be fine for a HTPC setup and simple web browsing but I would upgrade the SSD or buy an additional drive.
You'll be absolutely fine, that's pretty much Standard for office pc's we supply, in fact they are normally i3. The ssd is where the speed gain will be. The pc's we supply are windows 10, i3, 256gb ssd and 4gb ram and we get no complaints.
I'd say it runs adequately in 4GB - not sure if it's better to go for the smaller code of x86 but get only 3.25 usable GB, or go X64 with the full 4GB
If you wanted to try and squeeze a bit more "oomph" out of the laptop and it has USB3 you could try:
ReadyBoost

As others have said above for the average user that should be fine.
Original Poster
Croft36010 h, 38 m ago

If you wanted to try and squeeze a bit more "oomph" out of the laptop and …If you wanted to try and squeeze a bit more "oomph" out of the laptop and it has USB3 you could try:ReadyBoostAs others have said above for the average user that should be fine.

Okay. Thanks people. Head says yes - will have a chat with the colleague about the feedbacks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants