Expired

Can a cat run up a brick wall or concrete fence?

Found 6th Apr 2013
HI all

Might some dumb, but can a cat run up a brick wall or concrete fence that is 6 foot high? There is no wood or anything that they can use to help them.

Thanx
Community Updates
AskFenceRunning
29 Comments
6ft high is nothing. They jump. A fox could easily scale a 6ft fence as well. Some dogs are able as well.
yep seen parents cat jump 6 foot high with no build up and land perfectly
What is this 'wood' you speak' of

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4iWCGipBsuA/SMmUcOcDb6I/AAAAAAAAAXE/JeoVNWZKKR8/s320/cat+sup.jpg
Oh well, back to the drawing board then. Thanx for the quick replies.
Depends how many pitbulls are chasing it at the time (_;)
goldmax

What is this 'wood' you speak' of

Well when I chase the neighbours cats out of the garden, it never attempts the concrete fence I have. It always goes for this winolap fence as it can grip that obviously. But my garden is 90% concrete fencing, the remainder is winolap and is actually next doors fence not mine and its their cat. Anyway so I saw this stuff

http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co.uk/images/cat-proof-fencing-sideview275x366.jpg

Then I thought that if I use that idea on the section where the winolap is (should only cost me a tenner), the cats might not come in my garden as it cant get out easily, unless its stupid and wants a bucket of water pouring over it while its stuck in my garden (id love that). So thats why I was asking. Theyve already started marking their territory and leaving me the little poo parcels so this years war has started. Ive tried everything else, so I just thought id ask to see if this would work.
Have you tried cat repellants? You can get high pitch sound emitters that they really dislike.
That stuff is to keep cats IN you plonker

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/BunnyWurb/giffy%204/1687226c_afro-shaking-head-no_zps0f463663.gif
BTW a "concrete fence" is called a wall!
RossD89

Have you tried cat repellants? You can get high pitch sound emitters that … Have you tried cat repellants? You can get high pitch sound emitters that they really dislike.

The OP sounds pretty repellant to me tbh! oO
RossD89

Have you tried cat repellants? You can get high pitch sound emitters that … Have you tried cat repellants? You can get high pitch sound emitters that they really dislike.

Yep got one, they just avoid the area that its in and id need another 3 or 4 to cover all the back garden and im not spending all that. The above option is far cheaper. I think im going to try it anyway. My concrete fence is smooth, on youtube they seem to need a grip to get up or dig their nails in, there is no grip for them on my fence so they are going to need strong hind legs or they gonna get wet through this year lol.
apduk

Oh well, back to the drawing board then. Thanx for the quick replies.

Stick a load of carpet gripper on the top of your fence or wall. Its cheap to buy and stops cats from standing on the top of it
Edited by: "bigflump" 7th Apr 2013
'Might some dumb' says it all
It could do it stood on it's head.
With one paw tied behind it's back.
Blindfolded.
And with hobnail boots on.
markq

Walls are fixed, fences are made of panels and posts. HERE
markq

http://aintnogod.com/images/Nelson_haha.gif
Edited by: "deeky" 7th Apr 2013
bigflump

Stick a load of carpet gripper on the top of your fence or wall. Its … Stick a load of carpet gripper on the top of your fence or wall. Its cheap to buy and stops cats from standing on the top of it

Isn't that illegal now? We used broken glass back in the day. Good for deterring burglars, too. Trouble is that if the Old Bill or anyone with a legit reason needs to clamber over and gets injured then you are liable for civil damages and criminal negligence. Bang goes your house insurance.
spraint

Isn't that illegal now? We used broken glass back in the day. Good for … Isn't that illegal now? We used broken glass back in the day. Good for deterring burglars, too. Trouble is that if the Old Bill or anyone with a legit reason needs to clamber over and gets injured then you are liable for civil damages and criminal negligence. Bang goes your house insurance.

I think you need to stick a little warning sign up spraint, just to cover any issues. Though the odd bit of carpet gripper tostop cats isnt as vicious as broken glass
depends on the angle of the fence/wall

Cat deterrents

Surround an area with a fence (chicken wire etc) that leans in the direction from which the cat will approach. The cat is unable to climb over such an angled fence.

Flimsy plastic roll-up fencing placed on top of a fence etc to prevent cats climbing over it.

Taut wire or string fitted 10-15 cm above the fence-top makes it difficult for cats to balance on the fence.

Place half-full plastic bottles in borders. This is an old gamekeeper's trick - the light reflection is supposed to deter.

Mailshot and other unwanted CDs can be threaded on twine with knots in between to keep them apart. String these across flower beds or hang from trees. The light reflections deter.

Spiked tree collar to prevent climbing up a tree.

Downward-opening cone or a biscuit tin fixed to the pole below the bird table to prevent cat climbing up it. Vaseline or other grease on a smooth pole will also help.

Placing clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and under bushes will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds.

There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.

Scent deterrents will either serve to repel (eg. Citronella) or mark a territory (eg. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel, since cats are not keen on the smell of citrus.

Bucket or water pistol full of water will help to chase a cat out of the garden. There is an automated option, the scarecrow, which is attached to a hosepipe, and will deliver a water jet when activated by a motion detector, but be aware that water freezing in the pipes can damage the gadget.

The CATWatch deterrent is endorsed by the RSPB and reduces cat visits by up to 33%.
I saw my two year old cat do this yesterday afternoon, scaled this wall no problem and she made light work of it. Don't forget it depends on the build and size of the cat as well..
We found the most effective way to keep cats out of the garden was to place one of these in it

http://i48.tinypic.com/ie1rnb.jpg

My neighbour's cat once ran up the back of the house to the upstairs window ledge ... being chased by a squirrel..
Edited by: "Talis" 7th Apr 2013
bigflump

I think you need to stick a little warning sign up spraint, just to cover … I think you need to stick a little warning sign up spraint, just to cover any issues. Though the odd bit of carpet gripper tostop cats isnt as vicious as broken glass

That might not absolve you of any liability if the deterrent method is not approved. The relevant law seems to be the Occupiers Liability Act 1957. Carpet grippers along with glass seem to be illegal from what I can find.

Look at the last note at the foot of the page from Northumbria Police advising on securing walls.

northumbria.police.uk/adv…en/
cats do jump 6ft brick walls and also remind people anything you put on top of your walls deter cats may also cause serious injuryies to other creatures and people and you may get a claim against you if a person is hurt through injury on your fence due to unreasonable deterrants as i,ve seen this hapen where people are liable for putting broken glass on top of wall big mistake and had claim against them so beware.
whatsThePoint

depends how hard you kick it

Lol that made me laugh!!!!!
Razor/barbed wire should stop most things worked for Hitler but you might need to untangle a dead cat or two from it daily.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants