Expired

Can a cigarette lighter adapter drain a car battery?

Found 7th May 2014
I left my car idle for 3 days with a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter. There wasn't anything plugged into the USB adapter. In the past I've always taken it out, but on this occasion it was left in. The car had to be jump started to get it going.

This was 5 days ago, I've not had a problem with it since and I've never had any problems with it prior to this.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the adapter could have drained the battery in 3 days?

Appreciate any advice.

Edit: Just to add: normally when I have my phone plugged into the adapter, it will only charge when the engine is running.
Community Updates
10 Comments
Battery charges itself back up on driving for abit so as long as car starts i cant see it being a problem although go to a garage and bet they would tut and sigh then offer
you something that you don't need
Original Poster
shortyjames

Battery charges itself back up on driving for abit so as long as car … Battery charges itself back up on driving for abit so as long as car starts i cant see it being a problem although go to a garage and bet they would tut and sigh then offer you something that you don't need

Thanks for the reply, that's what I'm worried about.

The in-house mechanic is on holiday until Sunday evening, but I'm relying on it over the weekend.

Not sure whether to drop it into a garage tomorrow or not.
Mine is always plugged in and never had an issue
If it's not live with ignition off then it's very unlikely to be the problem, Get your alternator and battery checked, Usually a free service.
Banned
Can do
Ask around amongst friends etc if they know anyone that works in a garage, then do a bit of name dropping when you go to get it tested, might save you the cost of an alternator as against the cost of a battery, do you have any idea how old the battery is, as do they do only have 3 to 5 years life expectancy dependant on the quality.
more likely to have left the lights on (or door/boot ajar). as mentioned the cig lighter 'shouldnt' be on when ignition is off.
failing batteries often have symptoms of slow to start the engine, ie getting slower over months.
failing alternators often light the charging symbol on the dash while the engine is running.
both generalizations of course.
if neither of these I would just charge it and carry on as you were.
keeping the AA/RAC card handy
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

I took it into the garage today and they couldn't find anything wrong with it - battery and alternator are working fine, along with anything else obvious that could have caused it mechanically. Surprisingly, they didn't charge anything for it.

I know the lights weren't left on - the car makes an unmistakeable noise when the door opens if the lights are on. Parked in a very dark area for the 3 days, so I'm certain I would have noticed.

beavisrules

more likely to have left the lights on (or door/boot ajar). as mentioned … more likely to have left the lights on (or door/boot ajar). as mentioned the cig lighter 'shouldnt' be on when ignition is off.failing batteries often have symptoms of slow to start the engine, ie getting slower over months.failing alternators often light the charging symbol on the dash while the engine is running.both generalizations of course.if neither of these I would just charge it and carry on as you were.keeping the AA/RAC card handy

I'm thinking right now the door might have been not fully closed, that seems like the most obvious answer. Right now it's all working fine, so I will wait and see if it happens again.
I wonder how old your battery is ? More than 5 years ?
Original Poster
foes4you

I wonder how old your battery is ? More than 5 years ?

Not certain. The car itself is more than 5 years, but I bought it second hand last year.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions