Groups

can a direct debit be taken early from the account?

hi all.

i usually pay my council tax on the first of the month.

the payment has been took today......is this allowed?

i always thought it was on the agreed date or shortly after but never before.

22 Comments

my bills are always taken out early when the due date is a bank holiday. likewise any money in (wages) goes in early too

Its normal. My DD's vary depending on weekends, holidays etc.

Original Poster

i thought they were not allowed to take it early? i really thought that was part of the guarantee. i may be wrong tho

its not supposed to be taken early but some companies do occasionally do so, you can get any bank charges incurred refunded when this happens

Mine take it early all the time but even tho it looks like it's out. It's sort of like a reminder that it will be gone. If you get what I mean

Original Poster

meatball1987

Mine take it early all the time but even tho it looks like it's out. It's … Mine take it early all the time but even tho it looks like it's out. It's sort of like a reminder that it will be gone. If you get what I mean

i thought this was the case, as if it was earmarked to go out but its not, its defo came out early

it states here specifically that they are not allowed to take it early due to bank holidays etc

directdebit.co.uk/Dir…spx

rjmjnlcfm

i thought this was the case, as if it was earmarked to go out but its … i thought this was the case, as if it was earmarked to go out but its not, its defo came out early

My available balance goes down but I phoned the bank because it went into the -200 available but they said there won't be any charges as they know it's early

So basically don't worry about it and carry on spending. That's with natwest btw

I looked at my bank and even the date is forwarded on the payment for the 2nd. See if yours the same

With mine they don't take the money but they reduce the amount available for withdrawal the day before its sue out (even on a normal week day not a weekend or bank hol). I think it's to stop u accidentally going overdrawn but it's annoying if you need it. I was once refused a transaction to pay my credit card bill as they had earmarked the money for the mortgage & other bills due out next day, even though we were due to get paid the next day so was more than enough for everything

Original Poster

it has defo been taken.

my bank works the same

my balance would be say 1000 but available would be 900 if 100 was earmarked.

I always thought that a ' direct debit' gives a company permission to take out any amount on a date and a ' standing order ' is a set amount on a set date

There is some clear information provided by Citizens Advice Bureau - click here

You now need to contact your bank for a refund. You can also contact your bank to complain - they take a dim view of organisations who issue the direct debit request before the due date. Nothing will happen if you don't ask for the refund and it might happen again to you and others unless you complain.

By the way it is possible to have variable direct debits where the amount can change each time it is collected. I am not aware of any direct debits where the date collected can be varied.

the date you set is when you want the money to be received, not when it's sent. in order for it to be received on the date you set, it would need to leave a day earlier beccause of the bank hoilday.

espirit77

the date you set is when you want the money to be received, not when it's … the date you set is when you want the money to be received, not when it's sent. in order for it to be received on the date you set, it would need to leave a day earlier beccause of the bank hoilday.

do computers have holidays?

tardytortoise

do computers have holidays?

no but the people who operate them do

Banks take early all the time but shouldn't. Complaint to bank, they will tell you anything,continue to banking ombudsman let him make a ruling for everyone.

espirit77

no but the people who operate them do

just assumed it was all automated with computers talking to each other and that maybe there was a software error or that some human programmed the computer(s) wrong, but hey whatever - it is still an error and as posted earlier a complaint to the bank is necessary.

if it takes 5 days to clear a cheque, you can only imagine how many people need to operate a complex array of computer levers to facilitate the automated process of DDs.
    i shouldn't complain though, having seen and experienced banking in some other countries with systems we wouldn't have tolerated in the 70s!

tardy tortoise is right - they can vary the amount, but not the date
    it seems with issues such as this, they get away with breaking the rules without many consequences.
    there should be sufficiently punitive measures in place (fines and remove the right to use DD if they abuse) to stop this.

i plan my finances with precision as i know exactly what day things go out and bills are due. for various reasons, i juggle money between accounts, and whilst i can pay the bill, i may not have the money in the right place if they jump the gun. there's no way i'm having my perfect credit report spoilt by a trigger-happy rule-breaking outfit

DennisG

if it takes 5 days to clear a cheque, you can only imagine how many … if it takes 5 days to clear a cheque, you can only imagine how many people need to operate a complex array of computer levers to facilitate the automated process of DDs.i shouldn't complain though, having seen and experienced banking in some other countries with systems we wouldn't have tolerated in the 70s!tardy tortoise is right - they can vary the amount, but not the dateit seems with issues such as this, they get away with breaking the rules without many consequences.there should be sufficiently punitive measures in place (fines and remove the right to use DD if they abuse) to stop this.i plan my finances with precision as i know exactly what day things go out and bills are due. for various reasons, i juggle money between accounts, and whilst i can pay the bill, i may not have the money in the right place if they jump the gun. there's no way i'm having my perfect credit report spoilt by a trigger-happy rule-breaking outfit

i refer you to my earlier comment.

yes, happens all the time.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Mcdonalds fizzy drinks not working45
      2. Any price history trackers for Currys / PCWorld?22
      3. How long does it take for Instagram support team to reply your email11
      4. Chinese Tablets12

See more discussions