Can a landline be connected to a 4g LTE SIM router?

Posted 14th Jul 2019
Hi all,
I am fed up with my terrible intermittent landline connection (2Mb/s on and off) and today decided to order the Three 2-year unlimited data SIM which also has texts and minutes with the intention to not renew my broadband which is soon to be out of contract.
This probably works out cheaper than my current package considering £11 for the first 6 months, £22 thereafter and £60 back through Topcashback.

My question is can a landline be used with a 4g router (to make use of the calls) or is this beyond the realms of a normal person without putting the SIM into a mobile.

I had intended to get a 4g LTE router such as he TP-link archer MR600 which despite being dear seems to offer good speed and reception (external aerial potential) according to reviews.

Any advice, recommendations and opinions would be great as my knowledge of newfangled technology isn't great.

Thanks in advance, Maggy.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

41 Comments
2 megs, wow that's low, sounds like you'd need fiber to the property.
Make sure you cancel 30 days before end of contract.
Can you explain what your trying to achieve by connecting landline to router?
deleted1471098
Yes if you change to something like vonage which is VOIP however it will use a lot of data. I went to vonage and went broadband only with virgin.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 14th Jul 2019
deleted1204383
You can get a "VoIP adapter". This plugs into your router, and lets you plug in normal landline phones. Or get a router with built in VoIP.

Though it will be using your data allowance, not the included minutes on your mobile contract. And you will need to sign up for a VoIP provider, eg Vonage or Sipgate.
They will charge you a rate per minute, or a monthly call package. Though probably cheaper than regular landline call rates.
Edited by: "deleted1204383" 14th Jul 2019
I think OP believes the cellular package SIM comes with a cellular call allowance, and so is asking if there is a device that can be plugged into the cellular router provided by 3 to make calls from the integral SIM. If so:
no and no.
But you can port your existing LL number to a freebie VOIP service, but no inclusive calls.
You could dedicate an Android phone with in-build WiFi hotspot function to be your house phone/mobile broadband modem router. That way you can use the phone to make/receive calls and also have it act as your Internet connection.

Since the range of the phone WiFi would likely be very limited you would also need a WiFi repeater that then connects to the phone and extends the WiFi range.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 14th Jul 2019
It's not entirely clear what you mean with the use of the term landline. There are lots of similar questions you could be asking.

It sounds most likely as if you're asking whether you can plug a normal landline phone into the router to make calls using the mobile package minutes.

You can do that, provided you get a router that supports the functionality. Up until a couple of months ago our landline was the same as yours so we went for the exact setup you're considering. We have a standard landline phone plugged into a Huawei B525 router and you can call it using the sim card's mobile number and makes calls using the inclusive minutes.

This is not the same as the VoIP solutions suggested above.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 15th Jul 2019
Voice SiM with unlimited data: put the SIM in an Android 4G handset and tether the handset to an Asus router via USB. Unlim data SIM with say 600mins/m is about £10-£11/m on a 3 12m SIMO.
Optional Sipgate account on the 4G handset if you want a freebie incoming landline service with free voicemail to email etc.
If you can deal with changing your number you could use a SIP trunk via your 4G Internet connection. Basically you connect a standard telephone to something called an ATA which connects to the router. Configure the SIP trunk on the ATA and it works like a landline.

Something like the Cisco SPA112 would be ideal.
Apologies all for my belated reply (trouble activating account).

Thank you all for your replies and it has given food for thought. Endless waves was correct with their assumption in that I simply want to be able to connect a phone to the router and have it use the SIM minutes which appears to work in their situation although it may be a special feature in their router (which I did not see advertised for their router model).

I will be glad to be shot of my broadband as even BT fibre only got a sketchy 3.5Mb/s and every time I complained they cancelled my contract followed by lowering my minimum guaranteed speed. Just hoping I get decent 4G reception through Three as I'm currently with 02. Fingers crossed.
Maggy123414/07/2019 23:19

Apologies all for my belated reply (trouble activating account).Thank you …Apologies all for my belated reply (trouble activating account).Thank you all for your replies and it has given food for thought. Endless waves was correct with their assumption in that I simply want to be able to connect a phone to the router and have it use the SIM minutes which appears to work in their situation although it may be a special feature in their router (which I did not see advertised for their router model).I will be glad to be shot of my broadband as even BT fibre only got a sketchy 3.5Mb/s and every time I complained they cancelled my contract followed by lowering my minimum guaranteed speed. Just hoping I get decent 4G reception through Three as I'm currently with 02. Fingers crossed.

I have just moved from VM to 3 with a 4G LTE router (Huawei B612-25d) . I am on a 3 Unlimited plan which gives me unlimited data, voice and text. My usual speed is around 80mbps.

The router I chose has two features which may be of interest to you:
1) 4x4 MIMO - This helps to maximise my 4G speed. Testing on my non-mimo mobile I got no more than 30mbps.
2) 1x RJ11 Phone port - I attach a normal cordless telephone to this port so I make use of free voice calls on my 3 sim.

Note that due to the nature of 4G, speeds can vary hugely. Using the same router and sim I had 3mbps and, within minutes, 80mbps simply moving my router from one area of my house to another. I now leave it one place to get 80mbps.

lol - I just realised EndlessWaves has said practically the same thing as me.
Edited by: "Chocka" 15th Jul 2019
Thanks Chocka,

Today I ordered the Huawei B715 as the Huawei routers seem to share the ability to be able to plug in a phone. Although I later cancelled it when I realised it was an import which didn't have the necessary 4g bands.
Will need to look into Huawei further.
Chocka15/07/2019 17:02

I have just moved from VM to 3 with a 4G LTE router (Huawei B612-25d) . I …I have just moved from VM to 3 with a 4G LTE router (Huawei B612-25d) . I am on a 3 Unlimited plan which gives me unlimited data, voice and text. My usual speed is around 80mbps.The router I chose has two features which may be of interest to you:1) 4x4 MIMO - This helps to maximise my 4G speed. Testing on my non-mimo mobile I got no more than 30mbps.2) 1x RJ11 Phone port - I attach a normal cordless telephone to this port so I make use of free voice calls on my 3 sim.Note that due to the nature of 4G, speeds can vary hugely. Using the same router and sim I had 3mbps and, within minutes, 80mbps simply moving my router from one area of my house to another. I now leave it one place to get 80mbps.lol - I just realised EndlessWaves has said practically the same thing as me.

Do you mind me asking, where did you buy the B612 - hi you have a link please? That's what I'm thinking of buying for my £10 Three sim.
deleted50493131/08/2019 10:39

Do you mind me asking, where did you buy the B612 - hi you have a link …Do you mind me asking, where did you buy the B612 - hi you have a link please? That's what I'm thinking of buying for my £10 Three sim.

I got mine from an Alixexpress seller. My seller has put their price up now so it is not worth going with them but there are plenty of others on Aliexpress selling one from £75. Just make sure it is the B612 25D which has Band 20. After that is is your choice as to which seller to go with.
Chocka31/08/2019 12:16

I got mine from an Alixexpress seller. My seller has put their price up …I got mine from an Alixexpress seller. My seller has put their price up now so it is not worth going with them but there are plenty of others on Aliexpress selling one from £75. Just make sure it is the B612 25D which has Band 20. After that is is your choice as to which seller to go with.

Cheers. When it comes to Ali I tend to go with the cheapest unless they have terrible reviews. Did you go for one with external aerials?
deleted50493131/08/2019 13:21

Cheers. When it comes to Ali I tend to go with the cheapest unless they …Cheers. When it comes to Ali I tend to go with the cheapest unless they have terrible reviews. Did you go for one with external aerials?

Yeah, me too. I try to go one with at least one or two good reviews. I did order one with two external aerials included as they were the same price as ones without, but I have never felt the need to use them.

BTW, are you planning to play online games with this. If so, have you checked your network response times ( aka ping times)? For some people it is a deciding factor.
Chocka31/08/2019 15:29

Yeah, me too. I try to go one with at least one or two good reviews. I did …Yeah, me too. I try to go one with at least one or two good reviews. I did order one with two external aerials included as they were the same price as ones without, but I have never felt the need to use them.BTW, are you planning to play online games with this. If so, have you checked your network response times ( aka ping times)? For some people it is a deciding factor.

That's mine bought. I actually paid with Paypal so it was about £5 more but I figured it was worth it in case there were any issues - when I've had to deal with Aliexpress cs in the past it's been a nightmare!

Nah, no gaming for me. The set up is actually for my parents - I figured £10 a month and £80 for the router is a pretty solid deal!
deleted50493131/08/2019 15:32

That's mine bought. I actually paid with Paypal so it was about £5 more …That's mine bought. I actually paid with Paypal so it was about £5 more but I figured it was worth it in case there were any issues - when I've had to deal with Aliexpress cs in the past it's been a nightmare!Nah, no gaming for me. The set up is actually for my parents - I figured £10 a month and £80 for the router is a pretty solid deal!

Excellent! I tested it for my parents too but their reception for 3 was awful. £10/month is job well done.

Yeah, when I buy from China it is almost like not having any customer service. Return is not option so it is Ebay, bin, and/or a part-refund.
We live in the Scottish Highlands used to get landline broadband ~3Mbps, no hint of fibre in the next few years!!

So we are now using a vodafone "UNLIMITED MAX" sim card (comes with Data Unlimited, Minutes & Texts Unlimited, costs £30/month) plugged into a Huawei B593s-22 4G Router.
we now get 35~45Mbps connection speed from a mast 4km away, vodafone apparently has a Fair Use Policy of 3TB/month.
An ordinary analogue phone (old BT landline phone) plugged into the RJ11 port on the router allows me to use the unlimited calls as if it was an ordinary landline. Simples.
Random question - has anyone had an issue with a Huawei router, in this case the B525 (the aliexpress sellers screwed me over with the B612 so that never happened!) not accepting calls? I got a new one from Amazon and it worked just fine with a dect phone. But now I can make outgoing calls but today discovered that you cant call it!

The only thing I can think that has changed was me getting Three to stop the voicemail. I cant imagine that would stop it but can't be sure.
deleted50493121/11/2019 20:11

Random question - has anyone had an issue with a Huawei router, in this …Random question - has anyone had an issue with a Huawei router, in this case the B525 (the aliexpress sellers screwed me over with the B612 so that never happened!) not accepting calls? I got a new one from Amazon and it worked just fine with a dect phone. But now I can make outgoing calls but today discovered that you cant call it! The only thing I can think that has changed was me getting Three to stop the voicemail. I cant imagine that would stop it but can't be sure.

3 are having lots of issues recently. I'd try them first.
Maggy123421/11/2019 20:45

3 are having lots of issues recently. I'd try them first.

That wont work - they dont want people using the unlimited sims in routers and wont offer any assistance - if you have one of thier setups then there's no free minutes, only data

I switched a couple of sims over - the Three sim worked fine in a phone and the Smarty sim had the same issues - outgoing calls only
deleted50493121/11/2019 21:00

That wont work - they dont want people using the unlimited sims in routers …That wont work - they dont want people using the unlimited sims in routers and wont offer any assistance - if you have one of thier setups then there's no free minutes, only data I switched a couple of sims over - the Three sim worked fine in a phone and the Smarty sim had the same issues - outgoing calls only

I got their 5000min, 5000texts & unlimited data SIM on 2 year contract for £18/month.
I didn't realize that they did data only sims at the time and see they now bundle a router for less than I'm paying across the term.
Pretty sure they throttle my speed though.

Think Smarty own 3 and use their services so you can't rule out the operator completely.

Edit-I mean 3 own Smarty
Edited by: "Maggy1234" 21st Nov 2019
Maggy123421/11/2019 21:52

I got their 5000min, 5000texts & unlimited data SIM on 2 year contract for …I got their 5000min, 5000texts & unlimited data SIM on 2 year contract for £18/month.I didn't realize that they did data only sims at the time and see they now bundle a router for less than I'm paying across the term.Pretty sure they throttle my speed though.Think Smarty own 3 and use their services so you can't rule out the operator completely.Edit-I mean 3 own Smarty

I actually managed to get through to the dect phone after putting the Three sim back in and thought it was sorted, but then tried it again and...nothing! I'm gonna call Three tomorrow and turn the voicemail back on - I can't imagine that would change anything but it's one more variable to remove
worldranger: "I switched a couple of sims over - the Three sim worked fine in a phone and the Smarty sim had the same issues - outgoing calls only"

Same problem here on a Huawei.
I found if you set the mode to 3G only instead of 3/4G auto then you can both make and recieve calls normally.
I suspect this is the way it works and there is no way around with RJ11 port - 3G being for voice calls+data and 4G for data only?

Unless somebody else knows a solution without switching?
I was thinking of buying a Huawei 4G router. Is it correct to assume that if it has a RJ11 Telephone socket, It will be OK to call out using the SIM inclusive minutes by attaching a standard home phone?

Currently, I'm using a SMARTY SIM in an (unlocked) EE Wifi Mini, Connected via USB to my TP-Link router. The router is connected to my VOIP phone by a CAT45 cable. Outgoing calls and Data download works fine.

BTW, Incoming is not a problem, as I have SIPGATE Basic set up for Free to whom I ported my landline number. So when someone rings that, that comes thru the Cat45 Cable connected to my VOIP phone.

Thanks in advance
Edited by: "tmohammad" 24th Feb
tmohammad24/02/2020 11:57

I was thinking of buying a Huawei 4G router. Is it correct to assume that …I was thinking of buying a Huawei 4G router. Is it correct to assume that if it has a RJ11 Telephone socket, It will be OK to call out using the SIM inclusive minutes by attaching a standard home phone?Currently, I'm using a SMARTY SIM in an (unlocked) EE Wifi Mini, Connected via USB to my TP-Link router. The router is connected to my VOIP phone by a CAT45 cable. Outgoing calls and Data download works fine.BTW, Incoming is not a problem, as I have SIPGATE Basic set up for Free to whom I ported my landline number. So when someone rings that, that comes thru the Cat45 Cable connected to my VOIP phone.Thanks in advance

Smarty don't have access to 4G calls (VoLTE), so even if it works, everytime you made a call you'd drop down to 2/3G.
Thnx, Apparently "Three" do have VOLTE (Voice Over LTE). So I'm moving over to Three.

Getting a 4G Router that can call using VOLTE from Amazon. Hopefully all should work together.
Edited by: "tmohammad" 3rd Mar
the__cat14/07/2019 18:59

If you can deal with changing your number you could use a SIP trunk via …If you can deal with changing your number you could use a SIP trunk via your 4G Internet connection. Basically you connect a standard telephone to something called an ATA which connects to the router. Configure the SIP trunk on the ATA and it works like a landline.Something like the Cisco SPA112 would be ideal.

Can you tutor me how to set this up? Have a Huawei B535 router and Sp112 ATA, but dont know how to configure. I just want to use the unlimited minutes from the sim via this setup, since sim is in the router doing the data duties. Cant get my head around all this tech.

Help
Onlydongles13/03/2020 21:28

Can you tutor me how to set this up? Have a Huawei B535 router and Sp112 …Can you tutor me how to set this up? Have a Huawei B535 router and Sp112 ATA, but dont know how to configure. I just want to use the unlimited minutes from the sim via this setup, since sim is in the router doing the data duties. Cant get my head around all this tech.Help

That's a bit different. An ATA converts a standard analog phone to an IP-based service, such as SIP trunk or VoIP PBX. Unfortunately it won't allow you to use the SIM-based minutes via a standard phone connected to the ATA.
I had read somewhere that by using this ATA, one can then use the SIM minutes,which sits in the router. I am not interested in any SIP or VOIP subscriptions. And use a standard landline phone to connect via ATA to the router for the U/L minutes. Akin to a router (Huawei B525) with a built in RJ11 port for connecting a regular landline handset.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks your inputs.
Onlydongles13/03/2020 21:28

Can you tutor me how to set this up? Have a Huawei B535 router and Sp112 …Can you tutor me how to set this up? Have a Huawei B535 router and Sp112 ATA, but dont know how to configure. I just want to use the unlimited minutes from the sim via this setup, since sim is in the router doing the data duties. Cant get my head around all this tech.Help

There are two types of B353, One is teh B535-232 and the other is the B535-235. The latter has a RJ11 port and all you need to do is connect a standard phone (With an RJ11 lead , not the standard BT lead) and it should work just by doing that. The B535-232 does NOT have this port and cannot be used in this manner. See attachments:

40114559-Jtbqf.jpg B535-232

40114559-YczuA.jpg B535-235

Be aware that when making calls the Router will swtcg from 4G to 3G (as this 4G router does not support voice calls, it falls back to 3G) which means that the internet speeds will suffer whilst on calls. Once off teh call the router shult automatically connect to 4G again.
Thanks TMohammad for your input. Unfortunately I have the B535 232 WITHOUT the Rj11 phone port. Hence I rushed into getting this SP112 ATA adapter in the hope that I could then attach a regular landline handset to it and then into the router to access the inclusive sim minutes.

ANy suggestions for this setup then?

Thanks
Can you return the router (and adaptor) within 14 days an re-order from efones.com for £99.99.. I have been assured that their B535 are all 235 variants. (I ordered one and it was)
Onlydongles16/03/2020 09:41

Thanks TMohammad for your input. Unfortunately I have the B535 232 WITHOUT …Thanks TMohammad for your input. Unfortunately I have the B535 232 WITHOUT the Rj11 phone port. Hence I rushed into getting this SP112 ATA adapter in the hope that I could then attach a regular landline handset to it and then into the router to access the inclusive sim minutes.ANy suggestions for this setup then?Thanks

I'd be interested in whether this is possible too.

The object being to connect a regular BT phone thru some adapter to then plug into the back of a 4G Router (Ethernet Port) to allow calls to be made and received using the SIM minutes (NOT VOIP).

Thats would be awsome as then most 4G routers could be used. The Huawei ones that have the RJ11 port are pretty limited.

Thanks in advance.
tmohammad17/03/2020 15:00

I'd be interested in whether this is possible too.The object being to …I'd be interested in whether this is possible too.The object being to connect a regular BT phone thru some adapter to then plug into the back of a 4G Router (Ethernet Port) to allow calls to be made and received using the SIM minutes (NOT VOIP).Thats would be awsome as then most 4G routers could be used. The Huawei ones that have the RJ11 port are pretty limited.Thanks in advance.

I read someone did this successfully, but cant seem to find that thread anymore. There has to be way for this. Some techies can throw more light, please.
tmohammad17/03/2020 12:10

Can you return the router (and adaptor) within 14 days an re-order from …Can you return the router (and adaptor) within 14 days an re-order from efones.com for £99.99.. I have been assured that their B535 are all 235 variants. (I ordered one and it was)

Too late for that. I am sure a techie can point us in the right direction.

Unless someone on here wants to buy it off me. Its very new !
Come on you techies.... Someone must be able to guide us one way or the other?
Yeah, where are the techies when we need them?

And please do not blame the Corona for that. I will happily provide a few chilled Coronas for an answer as to how to do it !
The router you need to make and receive calls is the Huawei B525-23a. Your standard DECT phone just plugs into the back of it using phone socket provided. Just make sure that you log into router and set mode is set to 'Auto'. The phone will then go down to 3G to receive a call and then go back to 4G again on hanging up. Works well. The unlocked routers for sale on Amazon generally come with the 11.189.63.00.1217 which works straight away. If you have a router supplied by a network such as EE it will frequently have firmware 11.190.61.01.1217, if is does the phone call facility will not work as the router is locked to 4G only and thus can't drop down to 3G to receive calls. You will need to do an update, get copy of readily available 11.189.63.00.1217 .bin file off internet, have the router and your PC linked via LAN cable, log into router and select local update and select the .bin file to open from your PC and run update. All very easy, no need to have USB to USB cable or open up your router as some other 'bridging' threads imply. When you have the new firmware installed you can use the phone facility immediatly again make sure sure set to 'Auto' so it can change down to 3G to receive calls.
slightly off topic.. I quick techy question... I have an unlimited everything (Text, Minutes & Data) SIM from Three which I'm using in a Huawei A1 Cube 4G router (It is the cylindrical one that has Alexa built in). I have set it up apart from the Alexa side of things as I don't need that.

It runs well for a while and I get good connections speeds (Over 30Mbps download).... However the speed deteriorates over a few hours until it is totally unusable... Then I reboot the router and its good again for a few hours...

Anyone know whats wrong and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.
PostTweet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants