EXPIRED

Can a new SIM card really improve reception as VM have suggested!

Virgin Media want to send me a new SIM card as I have moved and reception at home is now dire. Can this really help? I'm sceptical and it's a 4 year old SIM card.

8 Comments

no harm in trying. anything new will be better.
I had an issue with reception on my old T-Mobile sim which was resolved when I got a new sim.

I doubt it. I have problems with o2 for reception. Got a new sim card in September and nothing has changed with it.

In virgins case it can help, due to them piggybacking on T-mobile who are now part of EE some of the network setting controlled by the sim have changed

Thanks for this tip. We're with VM and having a nightmare getting online when Im out (on my mobile). I will look into this.

As Virgin are a virtual network that as wolf359 states, piggyback on T-Mobile which are part of EE, the new Sim won't improve reception as such, but will open up more base stations that you can connect to. One of these might give you a much better signal. It's therefore very likely you'll see an improvement in your service.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

wolf359

In virgins case it can help, due to them piggybacking on T-mobile who are … In virgins case it can help, due to them piggybacking on T-mobile who are now part of EE some of the network setting controlled by the sim have changed

Tony68k

As Virgin are a virtual network that as wolf359 states, piggyback on … As Virgin are a virtual network that as wolf359 states, piggyback on T-Mobile which are part of EE, the new Sim won't improve reception as such, but will open up more base stations that you can connect to. One of these might give you a much better signal. It's therefore very likely you'll see an improvement in your service.

Well it would have been nice of them to send those to existing customers without us having to ask.

Virgin are the world's worst when it comes to new sims. it took them years to switch over to micro and nano sims respectively, they used to tell customers to cut their existing sims.

I thought SIM cards are just for identifying who you are.
Reception is totally to do with mobile handset and network coverage at the location.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....22
  2. Bearded chat1222
  3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767499
  4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427

See more discussions