Can a PoE CCTV record 24/7 even without internet?

Posted 9th May
I currently have an analogue (Bnc) cctv system that records 24/7 and allows remote access. I’m looking to upgrade to a PoE system which gets rid of the need for a separate power supply.

Does a PoE system need internet access to operate or can it still run 24/7 ? My concern is if the internet drops then if it requires internet it might miss important footage.

Assuming it doesn’t In addition to this, if I’m looking at 4 to 5 cameras and storing 1 months footage before its overwritten, would a 2TB HD be sufficient.

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
It will run exactly the same as your existing system once setup, just different cabling and configuration.

Storage completely depends on quality and amount of cameras. There are storage calculators online for this.
If its a self contained system, each camera connects to an NVR via a cable then yes it'll be able to record continuous without an internet connection, you'll just have to remember to set the time manually.

I get around 20 days recording 3x1080p 2MB streams + 1x720p 1MB stream with a 1TB Purple Drive.
Edited by: "freakstyler" 9th May
No as long as all your cameras and the cctv unit is on a local network (so don’t save via external internet) it should be fine.
Regarding the 2tb drive it all depends on the quality of the recordings some units let you lower and raise the quality so may need to do this if your not getting a months worth.
Thanks for the many responses which are very helpful.
I’ll have a look at the online calculators.
Are there any particular brands to consider ? Preferably looking for a brand that offers customer support.

Lastly does it matter if the cat5e or cat6 cable is flat/thin as opposed to cylindrical ?
Many thanks
POE is a power supply feature unrelated to and not dependent on internet.
A POE failure could be caused by loss of supply power, not loss of internet.
If the power source (mains?) may be unreliable you may want to consider how the system (cams + recorder) will tolerate scenarios of loss of power and restart after power is reinstated; same as any system with permanent net connection.
24bar09/05/2020 16:43

Thanks for the many responses which are very helpful. I’ll have a look at t …Thanks for the many responses which are very helpful. I’ll have a look at the online calculators. Are there any particular brands to consider ? Preferably looking for a brand that offers customer support. Lastly does it matter if the cat5e or cat6 cable is flat/thin as opposed to cylindrical ?Many thanks

Recommend you go 4mp or higher as that’s the lowest any decent professional would install. For a month’s footage on 5 cams running at max resolution and frame rate, i’d say try get 6tb. Around £140 on offer for WD Purple or Seagate Surveillance drives.

Lower to mid end DIYers go for brands like Swan. You can have a look at Hikvision’s Hilook/HIwatch range for better systems and if you have access to trade accounts, or can open them, Hikvision’s professional range with darkfighter. remember equal megapixels doesnt = same image quality. Better cams differentiate on night vision quality and how long they can stay in colour before they need to switch to IR black & white

Cable type doesnt matter. Get external rated though. Check out Kenable for reels if you can crimp yourself else suppliers will have premade cables
Edited by: "Sam223" 9th May
Some details, you may find useful:

>> PoE (Power over Ethernet) refers to the capability of powering or being powered through an Ethernet cable.
The voltage at source is around 45-55V while the voltage at the destination decreases as the cable (on which the signal is transmitted) becomes longer. Then, the voltage at the destination is converted typically to 12V or 5V to feed the camera.
It is not as simple as adding some DC voltage on Ethernet but rather it involves controllers at both the source and the destination sides.

Note 1: that means you must use a proper Ethernet cable. Some "Ethernet" cables are CCA (copper clad aluminum); they have high losses so the voltage at the destination may be much lower than required by the DC-DC converters. Furthermore, they get damaged pretty easily if you bent them or apply high external forces.
To solve this issue make sure you buy proper copper Ethernet wire. Cat5 is enough.
For example: scan.co.uk/pro…ble Even if it's 24awg works well outside too.
The simple test to check if you have copper or aluminum, see how it burns (Al 660 deg C, Cu 1084 deg C).

Note 2: If both the NVR and the IP cameras have PoE capabilities and they are from the same manufacturer then probably there are no issues. If they aren't and you encounter problems, you can solve them as:
a) the NVR doesn't have PoE, use PoE switch (For example:hotukdeals.com/dea…585 )
b) the NVR has PoE and the cameras do not have or they have but weirdly they are not powered (the most probably there is some incompatibility between standards implemented in the NVR and cameras); use active PoE adapters at camera side: aliexpress.com/ite…rcF

>> Powering the entire system shouldn't take too much power. It should be much more energy efficient than using a typical PC.
For example, a 8 IP cameras + NVR which continuously recording + UPS should use less than 50W-55W.
Now, if the UPS has a battery of 12V/8Ah that means you can power the system almost two hours continuously via the UPS. Furthermore the UPS also acts as a filter and decrease the transients from the AC mains grid.

Note : even a cheap UPS is good to have.

>> The storage depends on the quality of the footage, which in turn it depends on the resolution, fps, bitrate, compression, etc.

Note: Some numbers:
1.3MP-2MP/18fps/H254 VBR: 10-20MB/min. On some not so well implemented firmware, 35 MB/minute.
5MP/15fps/H256 VBR: 16-18MB/minute.
Poe recording doesn't need internet. Hikvision cameras are rather expensive. Consider Dahua, both cameras and nvr to get the full functionality.
Thanks for the replies & suggestions.
Currently have a Swann system - not looking to use them again.
If some of the new cameras are used internally and some for short distance outside (max 4 metre distance) would 2mp be suitable, or is it simply better to go for 4mp?

I've 4 cable runs needed between 60ft and 100ft, so crimping myself will be the better option.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions