Can a psu from a very old pc possibly power a Athlon pc?

Found 26th Oct 2010
I stay at friends quite a lot who has a ancient 700MHZ pc, I cannot upgrade the ram as it takes sticks older than DDR, and even if I could I doubt the mobo can handle it.

I brought a Athlon mobo with me (2400 I think) with 2 gigs of ram and it fits into the case but the PSU hasnt got a connector to go onto motherboard.

There is only 3 molex connectors at the moment, powering 2x dvd roms and 1 hard drive.

At least as a temporary measure could I say get a molex to motherboard adaptor to get it to work.

Not sure wattage but its 240V

Its at least a temp measure till I get a spare psu(as dont want to use the new good ones in pcs I want to sell!)

1. Misc
  2. PC
  3. PSU
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PC
  3. PSU
4 Comments

Nope, sounds like you might have an old style AT power supply. are the connectors like
this one.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/atpic.jpg

Or this one

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/main20pin.jpg

If the Latter it will work on a more modern Athlon board. It may leave 4 pins empty but don't worry as these are just extra power rails
Edited by: "trog0" 27th Oct 2010

Original Poster

trog0

Nope, sounds like you might have an old style AT power supply. are the … Nope, sounds like you might have an old style AT power supply. are the connectors like this one.Or this oneIf the Latter it will work on a more modern Athlon board. It may leave 4 pins empty but don't worry as these are just extra power rails

Its a regular 20 pin one like on modern mobos just wasnt sure if the power rails could have a molex to motherboard cable or if it would be strong enough.

dcx_badass

Have you checked the ram will move across? You could just buy a new PSU … Have you checked the ram will move across? You could just buy a new PSU for like £15.

No the ram is older than DDR as it is smaller but I have 4 x 512mb sticks for the athlon board anyway.

I didnt see a point purchasing a new psu when I can get a entire pc for under £30 delivered but didnt want to junk my old parts, I have also asked on freecycle but got no replies.

ryouga

Its a regular 20 pin one like on modern mobos just wasnt sure if the … Its a regular 20 pin one like on modern mobos just wasnt sure if the power rails could have a molex to motherboard cable or if it would be strong enough.

I wouldn't bother with the spare power rails unless you are using a powe hungry graphics card.
Here is a nice explanation of all connectors used in a pc and, Here is a link to a handy reference for pinouts

Also if you try to create a adaptor using the 3.5 molex power connector you would still be missing the 3.3 v power.
Edited by: "trog0" 27th Oct 2010

Original Poster

trog0

I wouldn't bother with the spare power rails unless you are using a powe … I wouldn't bother with the spare power rails unless you are using a powe hungry graphics card. Here is a nice explanation of all connectors used in a pc and, Here is a link to a handy reference for pinoutsAlso if you try to create a adaptor using the 3.5 molex power connector you would still be missing the 3.3 v power.

Hmm the one it is missing is the 4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable as in the psu doesnt have the cpu power connector I believe it will be.

So thats all thats missing, that guide seems to hint that it is possible to do it via the method I thought.

I have luckily been offered a 450w psu on Freecycle but its miles away so its not a certainty.
Post a comment
@
    Text