Expired

Can a solicitor act for himself?

Found 19th Aug 2014
Hello my fellow HUKD pals..

Does anyone here know if a solicitor can act for himself in the sale of his own property?

Many thanks,
MMP
xx
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
He can (certainly in Scotland and I don't see why not in England), but I don't see a huge advantage in it myself - best leave it to someone else's professional indemnity insurance if anything goes wrong!
Thistleno1

He can (certainly in Scotland and I don't see why not in England), but I … He can (certainly in Scotland and I don't see why not in England), but I don't see a huge advantage in it myself - best leave it to someone else's professional indemnity insurance if anything goes wrong!

I have my own independent solicitor for the purchase of the property, however the estate agent just told me today that the seller is a solicitor so is acting for himself with regards to the sale. If it's legal I'm totally fine with it.... just wasn't sure if he was just trying to be smart. I don't trust anyone in the property buying/selling game lol (_;)
Miss Money Penny

I have my own independent solicitor for the purchase of the property, … I have my own independent solicitor for the purchase of the property, however the estate agent just told me today that the seller is a solicitor so is acting for himself with regards to the sale. If it's legal I'm totally fine with it.... just wasn't sure if he was just trying to be smart. I don't trust anyone in the property buying/selling game lol (_;)

I am pretty sure they can. In fact, don't think you even need a solicitor, you can do it yourself, or estate agent for that matter.
Miss Money Penny

I have my own independent solicitor for the purchase of the property, … I have my own independent solicitor for the purchase of the property, however the estate agent just told me today that the seller is a solicitor so is acting for himself with regards to the sale. If it's legal I'm totally fine with it.... just wasn't sure if he was just trying to be smart. I don't trust anyone in the property buying/selling game lol (_;)

It's his risk, your solicitor will carry PI insurance so you'll be fine if there are any problems. FWIW I'm a property lawyer, we're not all untrustworthy...!
[/quote]I am pretty sure they can. In fact, don't think you even need a solicitor, you can do it yourself, or estate agent for that matter.[/quote]
You do need a solicitor in Scotland but not in England as far as I understand it, although I have heard anecdotally that the "Licensed Conveyancers" they have in England (who are not legally qualified or regulated) are not reliable.
Yes it's fine. A friend of mine did his own conveyancing with no problems.
Although I wouldn't sell my house to, or buy from, anyone who wasn't using a solicitor.
I moved recently and the original chain collapsed because one of the members used the solicitor recommended by the estate agent, who wasn't up to the job.
Did you see that recent edition of the commander program (was it Watchdog?) where the vendors solicitors were fraudulent and the buyer lost the house he had bought despite using a solicitor himself. He sued his solicitor but settled out of court for only 2/3 of the money he lost.
A solicitor who acts for himself has a fool for a client.
Butterbean

A solicitor who acts for himself has a fool for a client.

It appears that this actually quite common practise.... must be a lot of fools out there then!
It's probably better for you too, as he will act quickly, it's going to be his number 1 priority!
As long as you're solicitor is happy with it, don't worry - that's what you pay him for
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants