Groups

Can an Ipad replace a laptop

I`m thinking of buying an Ipad & was wondering can it replace my current laptop? I only use home computer for some internet browsing / online purchasing etc and very few word based documents. Can anyone see any downside to this before I buy one?
    Assistance appreciated & thanks...

20 Comments

Technically it cannot replace a laptop. No.

But to replace the things that you stated. A lot of devices can be used for that, not just the iPad.

price for 1, hard drive capacity for 2, upgrade options for 3.

dont' get me wrong, i'm a lover of apple and all things mac, when i go on holiday in October to America, i'll be buying an ipad, but i won't be selling my macbook as a replacement....
    it comes down to personal choice though!!

Yes, if that's all you need it for. To all the doubters, watch people when they use one. Mother in law used mine today and loved it, she has no interest in computers but the interface just works so well.

I have both, laptop only comes out for word and excel now

Banned

loopz

Yes, if that's all you need it for. To all the doubters, watch people … Yes, if that's all you need it for. To all the doubters, watch people when they use one. Mother in law used mine today and loved it, she has no interest in computers but the interface just works so well.I have both, laptop only comes out for word and excel now

So you dont visit any websites with Flash I presume?

Nope - my example would be downloading music. Ipad is the best internet surfing device Ive used but as soon as I want to checkout and download the latest tunes I have to fire up my laptop.

guv

How often do you actually come across websites where it is absolutely necessary for you to view the flash? i quite often browse the internet using my ipad and ive never come across a situation that would require my laptop.

whatsThePoint

If you do so little with it why go to the expense of an Ipad?

+1.

Don't waste your money.
    Keep your laptop, you can do so much more with it.

no, it will only be useful for internet and apps, a laptop will always have more things you can do with it... specially when it comes to word processing and coping pics from cameras/sd cards and uploading to face book and stuff... the ipad cant do that yet.
    get a 11z netbook or a 13" laptop for that price,,,

can you edit word documents on the iPad version of Pages?

Still never would be fully 100% compatible.

Oh and in response to the original question, no, sorry.

guv

Flash is already supported and should be fully supported in time, maybe a few months.

Banned

tl;dr

Wotwot123

Flash is already supported and should be fully supported in time, maybe a … Flash is already supported and should be fully supported in time, maybe a few months.

Think you blew it a tiny bit out of the water there, in order to get flash working you need to jailbreak your iPad, then mess around with the inner working of the iPad JUST to get flash working, and even then apparently it doesn't cope with video.

To say it will be fully supported is an overstatement, as it will NEVER be supported in Steve Job's eye.

I used to feel really strongly about the "giant iPod Touch", but I played with one a couple of weeks back and I have to say it is very nice, almost beautiful infact (but what isn't made by apple, apart from the iPhone 4 OOOSNEAKYBURN). I could really see what the Steve Jobs was saying when he said it is another experience. However it's fun, and should never be treated as otherwise really.

Lost Symphonies

Think you blew it a tiny bit out of the water there, in order to get … Think you blew it a tiny bit out of the water there, in order to get flash working you need to jailbreak your iPad, then mess around with the inner working of the iPad JUST to get flash working, and even then apparently it doesn't cope with video.To say it will be fully supported is an overstatement, as it will NEVER be supported in Steve Job's eye.

You do know it's in BETA stages?

It will be very easy once it's released in it's final state.

Wotwot123

You do know it's in BETA stages?It will be very easy once it's released … You do know it's in BETA stages?It will be very easy once it's released in it's final state.

Probably, I hope so because it really needs it.

"The full web experience, except flash games, content or adverts"

Plus it will never be supported on non jailbroken iPads/iPhones, and old people nearly have a fit when asked if they want their iPad/iPhone to be jailbroken.

Why do people make such a big issue out of Flash. I wonder what's going to be next after flash is supported.

MarzBarz

Why do people make such a big issue out of Flash. I wonder what's going … Why do people make such a big issue out of Flash. I wonder what's going to be next after flash is supported.

Price, obviously.

Banned

Flash will never be supported by apple.

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4bbf27bd7f8b9a25741c0000/ipad-stand-fail.jpg

This sort of answers your question. It is always a good idea to have both, an iPad and a laptop, just in case you want to prop it up

Seriously though, if you do very little on your laptop then for sure you could probably replace it with a tablet device. Although I personally would save the money and see what comes in the future from other manufacturers.

Here are a couple of recently released promo videos of Toshiba's upcoming products.
    youtube.com/wat…rPQ
    youtube.com/wat…Rnw

Original Poster

Thanks I`ll wait...Libretto looked good....

PhearFactor

This sort of answers your question. It is always a good idea to have … This sort of answers your question. It is always a good idea to have both, an iPad and a laptop, just in case you want to prop it up :3Seriously though, if you do very little on your laptop then for sure you could probably replace it with a tablet device. Although I personally would save the money and see what comes in the future from other manufacturers.Here are a couple of recently released promo videos of Toshiba's upcoming products.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F2V_5hDrPQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POkRuR9CRnw

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service1620
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      3. What laptop to choose?11
      4. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33

See more discussions