Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can an unopened iphone be blocked?

Posted 27th Jan
Considering buying a brand new/sealed iphone off Facebook Marketplace, however not sure if someone could potentially report it as lost/stolen from O2 and get it blocked and a replacement (to cash in on it?)

Is this possible? as the IMEI number would be on the box and they could have noted it down?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Even if it’s brand new and not opened there is a chance it could be blocked. If it’s a contract phone and they don’t pay the monthly payments it could be blocked or they could report it as stolen
Of course. IMEI number is all you need.
The person selling won’t even need the imei, the service provider will have it and if they call to say stolen or lost you’ll lose out. BUT because it’s new the seller will not of used the phone so will have to explain hiw it’s not been used. It’s unlikely someone will try this with an unused phone it’s more likely when they sell a used phone. Also because you are first user of the phone it will be registered to yourself through Apple so again it’s unlikely you’ll get problems but it’s possible.
toonsquirel27/01/2020 18:26

The person selling won’t even need the imei, the service provider will h …The person selling won’t even need the imei, the service provider will have it and if they call to say stolen or lost you’ll lose out. BUT because it’s new the seller will not of used the phone so will have to explain hiw it’s not been used. It’s unlikely someone will try this with an unused phone it’s more likely when they sell a used phone. Also because you are first user of the phone it will be registered to yourself through Apple so again it’s unlikely you’ll get problems but it’s possible.

Lady says it's an unwanted upgrade (and seems genuine), however given the value I'm hesitant (if it was just a couple of hundred quid I'd probably have just gone for it without question).
toonarmani27/01/2020 18:30

Lady says it's an unwanted upgrade (and seems genuine), however given the …Lady says it's an unwanted upgrade (and seems genuine), however given the value I'm hesitant (if it was just a couple of hundred quid I'd probably have just gone for it without question).

Even if it is an unwanted upgrade they still haven’t paid for it so if the provider finds out they could block it
toonarmani27/01/2020 18:30

Lady says it's an unwanted upgrade (and seems genuine), however given the …Lady says it's an unwanted upgrade (and seems genuine), however given the value I'm hesitant (if it was just a couple of hundred quid I'd probably have just gone for it without question).

99% of the time it’s totally fine, a lot of people pay say £40pm contract and instead of negotiating a good sim only deal they get the upgrade just to sell and carry on paying the £40 they’ve always paid. Ask her to put it on eBay the £1 fees must be due and buy from there so you get the protection.
Cheers .. think I'll dodge it or ask for a covered listing
Arto27/01/2020 18:31

Even if it is an unwanted upgrade they still haven’t paid for it so if the …Even if it is an unwanted upgrade they still haven’t paid for it so if the provider finds out they could block it

They don’t block them for in paid bill only if it’s lost of stolen, and how can they claim it’s lost of stolen when never used. It’s pointless as they can’t claim off insurance as they need to report working 24hrs if loss or theft and service provider will see it’s a lie. So it’s very easy unlikely to get problems, it’s used ones that have the bugger risk.
I recently sold an iPhone on eBay, that was on O2 upgrade. Turns out it was someone who had hacked into a PayPal and eBay account, I had proof of delivery so PayPal paid me the money. I rang up O2, and they were happy to block it for me. But honestly, the seller would have no real reason to unless they just wanted to screw you over.
lolmonster8827/01/2020 18:46

I recently sold an iPhone on eBay, that was on O2 upgrade. Turns out it …I recently sold an iPhone on eBay, that was on O2 upgrade. Turns out it was someone who had hacked into a PayPal and eBay account, I had proof of delivery so PayPal paid me the money. I rang up O2, and they were happy to block it for me. But honestly, the seller would have no real reason to unless they just wanted to screw you over.

Unless they wanted 2 bites at the cherry (me paying and O2 providing another one) (confused). Maybe I'm getting suspicious as I get older
Yes is the answer
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 27th Jan
Yes they can.

They don't have to use it as the sim is seperate in the packaging sothey could just put it in another phone.
I would get it second hand
toonsquirel27/01/2020 18:34

They don’t block them for in paid bill only if it’s lost of stolen, and how …They don’t block them for in paid bill only if it’s lost of stolen, and how can they claim it’s lost of stolen when never used. It’s pointless as they can’t claim off insurance as they need to report working 24hrs if loss or theft and service provider will see it’s a lie. So it’s very easy unlikely to get problems, it’s used ones that have the bugger risk.

They can and do block unpaid for mobiles now. Whether they're used or not is irrelevant. They have the imei number and can and will block it.
.MUFC.27/01/2020 19:52

They can and do block unpaid for mobiles now. Whether they're used or not …They can and do block unpaid for mobiles now. Whether they're used or not is irrelevant. They have the imei number and can and will block it.

They block the sim but don’t blacklist the handset itself. Only for loss theft or fraud.
toonsquirel27/01/2020 20:07

They block the sim but don’t blacklist the handset itself. Only for loss t …They block the sim but don’t blacklist the handset itself. Only for loss theft or fraud.

Actually they 100% block them now, Maybe not 100% of the time. That wasn't always the case though.
.MUFC.27/01/2020 20:13

Actually they 100% block them now, Maybe not 100% of the time. That wasn't …Actually they 100% block them now, Maybe not 100% of the time. That wasn't always the case though.

Are you 100% about this?
Bought my 6s plus a while ago online from someone brand new sealed
Think it’s gone over a typical contract duration
And it’s still working
It’s just depends on who you buy off most people are ok
You get the odd People with bad intentions
toonarmani27/01/2020 18:56

Unless they wanted 2 bites at the cherry (me paying and O2 providing …Unless they wanted 2 bites at the cherry (me paying and O2 providing another one) (confused). Maybe I'm getting suspicious as I get older

No network provider would give them another phone. They would have to report it as lost or stolen to their insurance company, if they even have insurance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants