Groups

Can any golfer explain this ridiculous rule please?

WTF? Padraig Harrington got a penalty stroke because THE WND MOVED HIS BALL!!!
    Apparently, he received the penalty because he had already 'addressed' the ball when the wind moved it. If he hadn't then he wouldn't have got the penalty.
    Why? Why should he be penalised for something he had no control over?
    This has got to go down as one of the most stupid rules in ANY sport!
    Unless anyone can give a reason that I hadn't thought of, of course.

17 Comments

I guess once you're lined up at the ball then if it moves then you took too long to play and to stop anyone cheating and saying the wind moved it.

You got money on him? :whistling:

Harrington should be banned for life (serious).

When a player goes to 'address' the ball then at that point they are deemed to have initiated the taking of the shot.

If the ball subsequently moves after they have 'addressed' the ball then that is deemed to have been the shot taken even if they did not strike the ball with the club.

that sounds good eh?

Original Poster

Benjimoron;4894444

I guess once you're lined up at the ball then if it moves then you took … I guess once you're lined up at the ball then if it moves then you took too long to play and to stop anyone cheating and saying the wind moved it.

That doesn't really make sense as it could move the second you addressed he ball.

Trickyjabs;4894447

You got money on him? :whistling:

No, I was just watching it last night and couldnt help thinking how unfair it seemed.

The JFK;4894457

Why?

StevenA2000_uk;4894474

When a player goes to 'address' the ball then at that point they are … When a player goes to 'address' the ball then at that point they are deemed to have initiated the taking of the shot.If the ball subsequently moves after they have 'addressed' the ball then that is deemed to have been the shot taken even if they did not strike the ball with the club.that sounds good eh?

Sounds great but it doesn't alter the fact that any sane person could see he hadn't taken the shot. People can quote the rules but it's just plain stupid, especially when the incident can be seen by millions.
    If there is no intention to move the ball, or something happens that is totally out of the players control then there is no way it should be deemed a penalty. (great avatar btw)

deek72;4894490

That doesn't really make sense as it could move the second you addressed … That doesn't really make sense as it could move the second you addressed he ball.

Of course, that's just bad luck.

That's why I wrote the second part of my post, it's to stop cheating.

Banned

Contact The R&a They Make The Rules

Golf has many 'stupid' rules.

proof that golf is stupid.

Banned

I think the daftest rule is having to wear those weird trousers.

Golf > Football.

The JFK;4894457

€18m in his 11 years... jealous at all ?

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;4894474

When a player goes to 'address' the ball then at that point they are … When a player goes to 'address' the ball then at that point they are deemed to have initiated the taking of the shot.If the ball subsequently moves after they have 'addressed' the ball then that is deemed to have been the shot taken even if they did not strike the ball with the club.that sounds good eh?

sorry was too busy lookin at ya pic...

sounds good whatever ya said tho :P

ecentrik;4894601

proof that golf is stupid.

I dont see where the OP has stated that Golf is stupid. Just certain rules. :thumbsup:

smallest ball, biggest playing field!

besides, WHO was watching the ball ... and complained?

also, player disqualified for kicking the sand when he was in the bunker

Banned

kippy;4894957

smallest ball, biggest playing field!besides, WHO was watching the ball … smallest ball, biggest playing field!besides, WHO was watching the ball ... and complained?

A Refererabee?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892226
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661378
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?27123
      4. Ebid over Ebay66

See more discussions