Can anybody advise re upgrading the hdd on an acer aspire one (8 lousy gb) pls?

Calling all techies . . . .

My wife has an Acer aspire one (windows XP home) with a mere 8gb of memory.

I wanted to alter this and wondered if I could fit a 2.5" hdd replacement, some of which have over 300 gb of memory!

The 'puter is soooooo slow 'cos it's hd is full

We do have an 8gb SD card and wondered if we could use this to speed the thing up.

Sorry for any dumbness here, I'm not too bad using the things, but not too clever when it comes to the mechanics!

Thanks in advance to responders, rep given.

Regards

Bill

10 Comments

yes you can.
but you cannot use the SD card.
It has to be a 2.5inch. more than likely 2.5inch IDE hard drive. you can get whatever you need.

Original Poster

tareko;6897554

yes you can.but you cannot use the SD card.It has to be a 2.5inch. more … yes you can.but you cannot use the SD card.It has to be a 2.5inch. more than likely 2.5inch IDE hard drive. you can get whatever you need.

wow, that was quick, tyvm

have some rep

[FONT=Verdana]You should pop over to the Acer Aspire One User Community - there are guides over there but I will say that swapping out the SSD (which is a 1.8" sized model) and replacing it with a SATA hard disk (2.5" sized model) is not easy, as it's different connectors on the motherboard.

Acer Aspire One User Forum • Index page
aspireoneuser.com/forum/

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:
[/FONT]

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6897584

[FONT=Verdana]You should pop over to the Acer Aspire One User Community - … [FONT=Verdana]You should pop over to the Acer Aspire One User Community - there are guides over there but I will say that swapping out the SSD (which is a 1.8" sized model) and replacing it with a SATA hard disk (2.5" sized model) is not easy, as it's different connectors on the motherboard.Acer Aspire One User Forum • Index pagehttp://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Thanks Scotty

I had a quick look on that, it looks like I'd better register there and sort the job out.

Mucho appreciato

Rep for you

Rgds

Bill

Bill de Sarce;6897620

Thanks ScottyI had a quick look on that, it looks like I'd better … Thanks ScottyI had a quick look on that, it looks like I'd better register there and sort the job out.Mucho appreciatoRep for youRgdsBill

[FONT=Verdana]No probs, glad to help - had a quick search via Google for you but I will stress it's not for the faint of heart if you consider doing it but at least you would get the disk space you need! ;-)

The Acer Guy » Blog Archive » Aspire One A110 2.5′ HDD SATA MOD – IT WORKS!
theacerguy.com/200…ta/

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6897719

[FONT=Verdana]No probs, glad to help - had a quick search via Google for … [FONT=Verdana]No probs, glad to help - had a quick search via Google for you but I will stress it's not for the faint of heart if you consider doing it but at least you would get the disk space you need! ;-)The Acer Guy » Blog Archive » Aspire One A110 2.5′ HDD SATA MOD – IT WORKS!http://www.theacerguy.com/2009/01/aspire-one-a110-25-sata/Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Thx again Scotty

I've just watched the 'acerguy' video and it looks too hard core for me

Is there a less complicated mod that I can do, perhaps swapping a same sized hdd, but with more tham 8gb capacity ?

Sorry for this

Bill

A lot easier although not as practical. But maybe an external hardrive would be best? Save all the music, photos and videos on there to keep the acers' hdd free?

]500GB here and it looks very portable for £60

Also if it is still running slow,] check what RAM you have got, if 512 you may want to upgrade to 1GB.

deadduck_145;6898416

A lot easier although not as practical. But maybe an external hardrive … A lot easier although not as practical. But maybe an external hardrive would be best? Save all the music, photos and videos on there to keep the acers' hdd free?]500GB here and it looks very portable for £60Also if it is still running slow,] check what RAM you have got, if 512 you may want to upgrade to 1GB.

[FONT=Verdana]The maximum amount of removable memory that can be installed is a 1GB DIMM due to the 512MB being integrated onto the motherboard, which is a non-removable component.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster

deadduck_145;6898416

A lot easier although not as practical. But maybe an external hardrive … A lot easier although not as practical. But maybe an external hardrive would be best? Save all the music, photos and videos on there to keep the acers' hdd free?]500GB here and it looks very portable for £60Also if it is still running slow,] check what RAM you have got, if 512 you may want to upgrade to 1GB.

Thx DD

Rep for you and good advice for me

Cheers

Bill

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6900991

[FONT=Verdana]The maximum amount of removable memory that can be … [FONT=Verdana]The maximum amount of removable memory that can be installed is a 1GB DIMM due to the 512MB being integrated onto the motherboard, which is a non-removable component.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Thx again !!

:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1014
    2. Sad news about Barcelona2080
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846125
    4. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam33

See more discussions