Can anybody help me with a central heating boiler issue ??!!

Found 18th Jan
Basically my boiler will not stay lit ?!
I have an Ideal Classic boiler that ignites and fires up the burners remaining on for a few minutes. After this time there is a click and the burners switch off but the boiler is still turning over. After another few minutes the boiler ignites again and the burners come on warming my water.
This repeats so my boiler isn't working correctly.
I've done some research and believe the overheat thermostat may need replacing?
Does this sound about right and would it be a job that you could 'unofficially' recommend I carry out myself?
Very much appreciated,
Foxy.
Community Updates
18 Comments
Does the boiler have a display? They often show a code that can be helpful in identifying the issue
Original Poster
No display unfortunately. It’s 14 year old so don’t expect it to last much longer! Ideal Classic SE18P F
foxymeister9 m ago

Does this sound about right and would it be a job that you could …Does this sound about right and would it be a job that you could 'unofficially' recommend I carry out myself?

No.

Have a local Gas Safe engineer look at it.
Could you have got air into the system at any point, such as replacing the radiators. If the overheat stat had failed it would be unusual for it to work then go off so to me it sounds like a genuine alarm with another cause. There are only a few things that cause burner shutoff
Have to agree with Andy Nicol, definitely get a corgi registered engineer to have a look.

I had a similar issue just before Christmas. Boiler heating water to decent temperature and then cutting out several times a day. I have a maintenance contract so no big deal cost wise. But, first thing they found was a split plastic pipe under the thermostat, so assumed that was the cause as it was venting heat direct onto the stat and causing it to register an overheat. Still kept cutting out. Then he replaced the thermostat in case it was faulty, didn’t fix it. Luckily he was standing next to it when it failed again...he could hear the burner firing, but the pump had cut out. Turned out it was a dodgy pump...worked fine until the heat built up and the internal pressure increased, then the pump would stop working, but because the burner was still heating the water in the boiler and it wasn’t being pumped it registered as an overheat issue. Pump replaced and all good now.

As you can see, it’s not always the obvious thing that is the fault and unless you know what you’re looking for it can be very tricky.

Also, never mess around with gas...definitely a job to pay an expert to do.

I think Br Gas now offer a fixed price call out for boiler breakdowns even if you’re not with them...might be worth looking.
Edited by: "Sandman66" 18th Jan
If it's an ideal then it could be the fan that's stuck. Happens sometimes when the grease drys out and causes the fan to stop, boiler shuts down to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Service engineer normally gives it a light tap and a little oil on the bearings.
foxymeister2 h, 18 m ago

No display unfortunately. It’s 14 year old so don’t expect it to last much …No display unfortunately. It’s 14 year old so don’t expect it to last much longer! Ideal Classic SE18P F

If it's that old I'd be looking at replacing it.
The new boilers are a lot more economical to run.
Quick look at the model shows it should be a sizeable saving (80% vs 90%+).
Oh its a Ideal boiler, the most shocking boilers on earth. I spent £500 on mine within 3 years then thankfully got it replaced. See if your eligible for a feee boiler
Mine was doing this a couple of months ago, combination of air in system and radiators needing balancing. Basically boiler is overheating and shutting itself off because water isn't getting round system to cool down.

Bleed all your radiators as a first step, if not you'll need to balance them
Edited by: "EdinburghShop85" 18th Jan
Sandman662 h, 26 m ago

Have to agree with Andy Nicol, definitely get a corgi registered engineer …Have to agree with Andy Nicol, definitely get a corgi registered engineer to have a look. I had a similar issue just before Christmas. Boiler heating water to decent temperature and then cutting out several times a day. I have a maintenance contract so no big deal cost wise. But, first thing they found was a split plastic pipe under the thermostat, so assumed that was the cause as it was venting heat direct onto the stat and causing it to register an overheat. Still kept cutting out. Then he replaced the thermostat in case it was faulty, didn’t fix it. Luckily he was standing next to it when it failed again...he could hear the burner firing, but the pump had cut out. Turned out it was a dodgy pump...worked fine until the heat built up and the internal pressure increased, then the pump would stop working, but because the burner was still heating the water in the boiler and it wasn’t being pumped it registered as an overheat issue. Pump replaced and all good now. As you can see, it’s not always the obvious thing that is the fault and unless you know what you’re looking for it can be very tricky. Also, never mess around with gas...definitely a job to pay an expert to do. I think Br Gas now offer a fixed price call out for boiler breakdowns even if you’re not with them...might be worth looking.

Good old boiler “engineer” carry on swap parts until it’s fixed then pcb and finally a new boiler
Original Poster
EdinburghShop8518 m ago

Mine was doing this a couple of months ago, combination of air in system …Mine was doing this a couple of months ago, combination of air in system and radiators needing balancing. Basically boiler is overheating and shutting itself off because water isn't getting round system to cool down.Bleed all your radiators as a first step, if not you'll need to balance them

Thanks, I’m capable of doing this so I’ll try it in the morning
We also have an old Ideal Classic. Was advised not to replace as they are so basic and any issues are simple and usually cheap to resolve. There are silicone pipes to pressure sensors near the fan. These age and fall apart after a while. Yours may have gone and mean the controller is not seeing pressure from the fan. They are easy to see and replace. Obviously you should not be playing with anything gas related in it.
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo7 m ago

Good old boiler “engineer” carry on swap parts until it’s fixed the …Good old boiler “engineer” carry on swap parts until it’s fixed then pcb and finally a new boiler

That’s what I’m worried about !!!
Dannyrobbo9 m ago

Good old boiler “engineer” carry on swap parts until it’s fixed the …Good old boiler “engineer” carry on swap parts until it’s fixed then pcb and finally a new boiler

Brilliant, no complaints from me...just means more new parts and all for no additional cost...perfect
foxymeister17 m ago

Thanks, I’m capable of doing this so I’ll try it in the morning

If you've got a pump it's worth bleeding that too as mine had air in it which was the main issue (you'll know if it's got air in it if its noisy!) Good luck. Took me a couple of hours (mostly researching) but works a treat now. judgeelectrical.co.uk/cen…tml
Edited by: "EdinburghShop85" 18th Jan
foxymeister23 m ago

That’s what I’m worried about !!!

Every one I have came across has been hopeless at fault finding and can’t work their way around the PCB. It’s shutting off for safety so it’s overheating, not sensing the pilot light as it heats or it isn’t seeing the pressure on the extract so the boiler thinks it’s gassing you. There are a few others but these are the main issues. With a set of drawings you can see the switches and connections related to these to see if they are not making a rule some basics out.
Could be a few things but my guess would be the thermocouple
Sandman6618th Jan

Brilliant, no complaints from me...just means more new parts and all for …Brilliant, no complaints from me...just means more new parts and all for no additional cost...perfect

It is costing you though as your paying for boiler cover, after a number of years of paying you could easily buy two new boilers!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants