Groups
    EXPIRED

Can anyone advise the best place to get a puppy?

looking to get a puppy, not really sure what kind, our options are open although thinking a border collie at the moment. have tried gumtree, epupz, adtrader, adverts in the sun newspaper and preloved but not sure where else to try as they all seem to be quite expensive and the ones i have contacted havent got back to me. please help :-)

16 Comments

Hi have you thought about a rescue home etc we got our puppy an shes a lovely dog now 8 eight years later she was found on the streets of leicester. very happy with her

archer1204;7917595

Hi have you thought about a rescue home etc we got our puppy an shes a … Hi have you thought about a rescue home etc we got our puppy an shes a lovely dog now 8 eight years later she was found on the streets of leicester. very happy with her

+1 we got ours at rescue centre try dogstrust or RSPCA

My mum had her dog from here..
    dogstrust.org.uk/

Original Poster

i tried dogstrust but there werent many in my area tbh and no puppies, suppose i could try local rescue centres too though, thanks :thumbsup:

Before you decide on the breed please do some research beforehand. My neighbour who only ever had cats went and got a Collie. Took it for a 5 min walk every day and thought that was enough. It used to go beserk and jump at fences, howl all night and day as it was bored out of it's mind (these dogs needs massive amounts of exercise).

I've got a 13 yr old little terrier whose full of energy and still likes to go jogging with me every night.

Hope you find a great friend for life in your little hound

BE VERY CAREFUL using the sites you have tried...loads of puppy scams on all the of those sites...look out for cheaper than average for the pup,american style descrpition(up to date with shots,potty trained etc),and ads with "calender cute" pics,or people who are going out of the country and offer to deliver ...they are all scammers ....who have no pups but ask a delivery fee....!!
    I was looking for a yorkie puppy last year and had to trawl through these sites ...i gave up and went through the Kennel club who have a puppy search facility,...also notoriously using those sites are puppy farms who offer to meet you with the pup(so you cant see the horrific place it comes from)...although there are genuine sellers on the net just watch out for the scammers....try the kennel club if you want pedigree,or try rescue centres as collie mixes are probably one of the most common dogs they get in(hyper nuts and bought by people without a clue on how to train them!then dumped in rescue centres)..see puppy with mum in its home enviroment and GOOD LUCK xxx

Original Poster

mrsj2008;7917783

Before you decide on the breed please do some research beforehand. My … Before you decide on the breed please do some research beforehand. My neighbour who only ever had cats went and got a Collie. Took it for a 5 min walk every day and thought that was enough. It used to go beserk and jump at fences, howl all night and day as it was bored out of it's mind (these dogs needs massive amounts of exercise).I've got a 13 yr old little terrier whose full of energy and still likes to go jogging with me every night.Hope you find a great friend for life in your little hound

thanks for your info! yeah thats one of the reasons we are open to what kind we get as they are all so different, i would love a bullmastiff as i grew up with two but i know they are expensive and also difficult to handle if it was me walking it on my own. my sister has a border collie and she is a fantastic dog and is very well trained which is why i would love to get a puppy and train it, i am so impatient though i want one yesterday lol. :roll:

you sound like someone who actually has a clue about dogs!!lol...........have you tried googling "border collie pups" with your area name? x

Original Poster

lorsmanic;7917958

you sound like someone who actually has a clue about … you sound like someone who actually has a clue about dogs!!lol...........have you tried googling "border collie pups" with your area name? x

i tried, i cant believe the prices though, so expensive! my sis got hers last march for £100 which i know is a gd price but most of the ones i have seen are crazy prices! the hunt continues lol

oh your in scotland....lol...am away to hunt border collies!!lol

have you looked in pet shop windows and try ringing vets they sometimes know if there are puppies for sale

border collies do need lots of exercise and can be a bit mad lol

border collies are not always the easiest! Ring a local dog trainer/training class in your area....they know the best dog breeders around. Good Luck

Hi please don,t buy from puppy farms or pet shops you will regret it try the kennel club for breeders local dog training groups hope this helps good luck:thumbsup:

lorsmanic;7918081

oh your in scotland....lol...am away to hunt border collies!!lol

secondchancekennels if your near Fife

most round here are £100 - £250, grew up with them really smart dogs, good luck with your search, hope you find the right pup for you

dunno if you have tried pre-loved, alot of breeders advertise on there
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT Sport Vs SkySports11
      2. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?23
      3. Iptv813
      4. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?1015

See more discussions