Groups

can anyone explain how hdmi and hdmi component cables work!???

I have an xbox 360 20gig console it is fairly old and i was wondering what to do / buy to use in hd can anyone help cause im am right confusticated by it all cheers.

4 Comments

If the XBox is old it will only have component output. Only the later ones have HDMI.

Component is analogue and can only support 720p resolution signals at best. HDMI is digital and can support 1080p. If your TV is not 1080p then component is fine.

Component cables (RGB for video red/white for sound) can give you HD but it is an analogue signal. You wont be able to get 5.1 sound through component cables though - you will need to use the optical out.

HDMI is a digital signal and can take 5.1 audio also.

Use HDMI if your console has the port, it may not though as it is an old one.

Original Poster

ok so which cables should i plug in to my telly guys?
    i have the ones that normaly go in the scart socet

grahamh1981;5332923

ok so which cables should i plug in to my telly guys?i have the ones that … ok so which cables should i plug in to my telly guys?i have the ones that normaly go in the scart socet

What sockets do you have on your television? Only SCART? If the TV is very old then that may be the case, in which case your options are limited.

However you mention an HD TV, in which case you should have, at the very least, a component input. (three phono sockets). If that is the case you want to plug a component cable into the TV and an optical lead for the audio. Do you already have a component converter for the XBox? if not I think you may have to buy one .. not sure.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions