Groups
    EXPIRED

Can anyone give any advice about buying a desktop for sons Christmas?

My 7 year old son wants a desktop pc "like they have in school " for his Christmas. We have decided to get him this as the laptop is old and rubbish and he will be able to use it for school projects etc. He also wants to play sims 4 and minecraft on it. I was thinking a budget of around £500 but don't know where to even begin looking. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks...

8 Comments

I would recommend this for your son the reason why is that the i5 4th gen will be fine for the school work and the amount of tabs your son opens up on the internet and so on and as for the GeForce 705 will be fine for your son since he plays minecraft so the fps will be fine for him to play on.

store.hp.com/UKS…CDT

and if you use the NJ8GM you can get £50 off making it a £450 purchase and get the other accessories for the £50 and as for a monitor I would go for a iiyama.

The second I would recommend is doing a project with your son by building your own pc and if you don't know much about pc's then go on the website uk.pcpartpicker.com where people around the world have pc build varying from low as £100 all the into the thousands. But you could give this a shot

uk.pcpartpicker.com/gui…ild
    Edited by: "Edot123" 9th Dec 2014

I've bought a few Dells over the years and they've all been great. My current PC is 7 years old and still going strong though I've upgraded the RAM and put in an SSD

An attractive small form base model with monitor is £279 inc vat and delivery. You can use the extra in your budget to specify a better CPU, more RAM (8Gb will be ideal) and a better monitor. For normal home use you don't really need a tower.

Original Poster

Thanks for this, building one with him does seem fun but we have a toddler in the house as well so not really practical. I was looking at a dell on their website, the inspiron 3000 with 23" monitor for 470, seems to have good reviews and warranty from Dell. Would this be ok?

Clarkabell1

Thanks for this, building one with him does seem fun but we have a … Thanks for this, building one with him does seem fun but we have a toddler in the house as well so not really practical. I was looking at a dell on their website, the inspiron 3000 with 23" monitor for 470, seems to have good reviews and warranty from Dell. Would this be ok?

could you provide the link

Buy the components separately and involve your son in putting it together, under supervision of course, plus loading the operating system. The process will be enlightening to him and occupy the best part of a day. This isn't a daunting task and there are plenty of tutorials on the net. A few caveats, buy an anti-static wristband; to make the build easier use an AMD processor - fitting the cooling fan to intel processors can be very fiddly. If this idea appeals, then putting a request for 'recommended' builds on this forum will elicit a plethora of suggestions.

Original Poster

m.dell.com/mt/…707

just seen this one on the dell page when I went back to get the link for the 470 one, wouldn't mind paying this little extra if it's worth it....

Clarkabell1

http://m.dell.com/mt/www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?fl=m&oc=cd84707 just seen this one on the dell page when I went back to get the link for the 470 one, wouldn't mind paying this little extra if it's worth it....

Yes, that would be very good

I agree with little stewie that is good and remember to use the code which I provided at the first comment to get 10% off.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Zelda Game?79
      2. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9533
      3. Cinema 24122
      4. Recommend accurate weighing scales22

See more discussions