Groups

Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my new b,twin hoptown 300 folding bike

Can anyone help diagnose clicking noise on my hoptown 300 folding bike. Video link in first comment , clicking can be heard 1 minute into video. Only happens when peddling under load. Sometimes although rarely the noise goes completely but 80% of the time it is there. In the last 15 seconds of the video I have managed to stop the noise after peddling backwards a few times. Any help gladly appreciated.

33 Comments

Original Poster

youtu.be/eH9…xW0 please forward 1 minute to hear clicking sound I need help to diagnose.

Freewheel needs replacing, it's faulty.

**might be Tight bottom bracket bearings if it is not sealed?**
    Edited by: "snappyfish" 17th May

Came looking for bike legs. Was not disappointed

Is it your knees?

Original Poster

snappyfish

Freewheel needs replacing, it's faulty. **might be Tight bottom bracket … Freewheel needs replacing, it's faulty. **might be Tight bottom bracket bearings if it is not sealed?**

Thanks for the reply, What tool is needed to remove this type of freewheel?

https://s9.postimg.org/5bwveqif3/IMG_20170517_223426.jpgfree upload

Thanks for the reply, What tool is needed to remove

Try this but might be a different version

TOOL
    Edited by: "snappyfish" 17th May

@44 secs you heard her call so you took a break (that's why you stopped recording for a short time)?

^^Joke^^

Chain catching as it increases with speed - probably catching on the spokes

Hint - It only happens when you are pedalling

See that pic comment 5 - between chain and spokes - check spokes for wear
    Edited by: "philphil61" 17th May

What is that wire/thread around your rear axle/hub?

Many single speed freewheels are known to be noisy so I suspect that is the culprit but it could be other things like a stiff chain link, chain slap hitting something as it turns and numerous other things including bottom bracket. It's worth giving everything a service and regreasing just so you know its all properly done because if it was poorly assembled at the factory it can lead to premature wear of various components. What make is the freewheel?

You ought to put a wing nut on that poundland rear mudguard so you can lower it down next to the rear wheel when the saddle post is raised. Didn't realise the bike had a kickstand.

could it possibly be the chain guard at the front. if you raise the back wheel off the floor and pedal can you hear the chain rubbing against the guard?

Did you find/fix it?

Update please

The clicking sounds rather plasticy - you see that clear disc - well one my previous bike, it was loose and made a similar clicking sound until i removed it.

When you are rolling, does the clicking still happen? I'd be cautious as to changing parts if you are unsure - i would recommend popping it into an Evans cycles = they are top quality in all stores at diagnosing stuff like this. Good luck and happy riding.

Original Poster

philphil61

Did you find/fix it?Update please

No still not fixed.

Original Poster

Tahae_T

The clicking sounds rather plasticy - you see that clear disc - well one … The clicking sounds rather plasticy - you see that clear disc - well one my previous bike, it was loose and made a similar clicking sound until i removed it.When you are rolling, does the clicking still happen? I'd be cautious as to changing parts if you are unsure - i would recommend popping it into an Evans cycles = they are top quality in all stores at diagnosing stuff like this. Good luck and happy riding.

Clicking only happens when peddling, If I raise back wheel of ground and turn peddles it does not happen only when riding so making it harder to diagnose. I am thinking it is the freewheel as sometimes if you peddle backwards and then forwards the sound is completely gone until you next coast and then peddle again., Going to call or email decathlon and see if they would consider sending me a new rear wheel with freewheel if not I will ask for a exchange bike or a refund.

Original Poster

bonzobanana

What is that wire/thread around your rear axle/hub? Many single speed … What is that wire/thread around your rear axle/hub? Many single speed freewheels are known to be noisy so I suspect that is the culprit but it could be other things like a stiff chain link, chain slap hitting something as it turns and numerous other things including bottom bracket. It's worth giving everything a service and regreasing just so you know its all properly done because if it was poorly assembled at the factory it can lead to premature wear of various components. What make is the freewheel?You ought to put a wing nut on that poundland rear mudguard so you can lower it down next to the rear wheel when the saddle post is raised. Didn't realise the bike had a kickstand.

I fitted the kickstand from an old bike I had. Well spotted on the poundland mudguards, they surprisingly work very well.

POWYSWALES

Clicking only happens when peddling, If I raise back wheel of ground and … Clicking only happens when peddling, If I raise back wheel of ground and turn peddles it does not happen only when riding so making it harder to diagnose. I am thinking it is the freewheel as sometimes if you peddle backwards and then forwards the sound is completely gone until you next coast and then peddle again., Going to call or email decathlon and see if they would consider sending me a new rear wheel with freewheel if not I will ask for a exchange bike or a refund.

You could upgrade to the Tilt 500 which looks really nice except it has that awful front metal appendage by the steerer tube just like the Hoptown's.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tilt-500-folding-bike-blue-id_8352597.html

Make the point that the quality of the bike is not acceptable and very poor for the Hoptown and your time has been wasted trying to sort a problem due to a very poor quality part. See if they will do anything for you. Maybe compensate you £30 which you could put towards the Tilt 500. Not a fan of the Hoptown's as you know. I think considering it as cutdown model and pretty much barebones I think they could have done better for component quality. The Tilt 500 is their first folding model with a Shimano derailleur at £249 and seems pretty good at the price point.

I wonder if its the same indian made nervar single speed freewheel you see on many basic steel children's bikes.

Also the comprehensive instructions on the packet might help you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/media/817/8171483/big_622bc29b505b4fcb89d7fea7216407ce.jpg

You chain is too tight..

Original Poster

bazviv

You chain is too tight..

No, chain has enough slack.

All sorted now?

Original Poster

bonzobanana

All sorted now?

No, got replacement bike with same issue but also had A faulty bottom bracket. Luckily got a shimano replacement shimano bottom​ bracket for £2 and will replace the freewheel in the near future, don't want to give up on the bike as most other budget folders look more for women.
    Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 29th May

POWYSWALES

No, got replacement bike with same issue but also had A faulty bottom … No, got replacement bike with same issue but also had A faulty bottom bracket. Luckily got a shimano replacement shimano bottom bracket for £2 and will replace the freewheel in the near future, don't want to give up on the bike as most other budget folders look more for women.

what was original fault?

If you're looking for a freewheel try this

ison-distribution.com/eng…16K

Original Poster

snappyfish

what was original fault?If you're looking for a freewheel try … what was original fault?If you're looking for a freewheel try thishttp://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=FWHA716K

Looks good but £45 notes is a bit rich for me.

POWYSWALES

Looks good but £45 notes is a bit rich for me.

Yeh, but most freewheels are poor, this is a good one.

Convert it to a fixed gear, very cheap, very macho, guaranteed silent although you might look like an imbecile going downhills depending on the gear ratio's used. The stronger you are the higher the gearing and the less stupid you look. You have to work out if a fixie would work for you. Remember a lot of single speed freewheels are designed for children's bikes so not that strong. You really have to pay extra to get a really decent strong design but you can avoid that all together with a fixed gear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=fixed+gear+lock+ring&_sop=15

Sorry just realised the Hoptown 300 doesn't appear to have the threads machined into the other side of the hub on the rear wheel. You can see it's formed correctly for the threads they just haven't paid for that process which is a bit annoying. I initially assumed it would be a standard flip flop hub just without the fixed gear cog. If you went this route on the standard wheel you wouldn't be able to use the lock ring and would need spacers to correct the chain line possibly. Still perfectly doable though. I wouldn't remove the rear brake like some do though as applying reverse pressure to brake could unscrew the cog.
    Edited by: "bonzobanana" 29th May

POWYSWALES

No, got replacement bike with same issue but also had A faulty bottom … No, got replacement bike with same issue but also had A faulty bottom bracket. Luckily got a shimano replacement shimano bottom bracket for £2 and will replace the freewheel in the near future, don't want to give up on the bike as most other budget folders look more for women.

I think the tesco folding bike we both have (or you had) is more masculine looking than the hoptown.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/HzAAAOSw0e9UwJ~G/$_86.JPG

How many folding bikes have you got now? You ought to do a big review of all of them on youtube.

Original Poster

bonzobanana

I think the tesco folding bike we both have (or you had) is more … I think the tesco folding bike we both have (or you had) is more masculine looking than the hoptown. How many folding bikes have you got now? You ought to do a big review of all of them on youtube.

On my 8 mile commute I have several long gradual down hills I like to coast down so fixed gear would not be for me, as for folders I have 3 now as I sold the dahon as I just never took to it, folding mechanism looked week and needed constant adjustment and seat always slipped down.

I do like my I fold and as you say it's masculine enough compared to most.

https://s30.postimg.org/cib36ure9/20170529_131901.jpgimage

https://s7.postimg.org/y8f4s46bf/20170529_131932.jpgimage url

Original Poster

This is my raleigh evo 7 but as much as I like it I think it's got a slight feminine look so don't ride as often. But will not sell it as when I get older I don't think that will matter as much, I do think it gas a really nice classic look about it though and if I wanted to pick some shopping in the large rear box I will and do still ride it, probably only use it about twice a month, but in a few years time I do intend to make it my main bike. Purchased it over 2 years ago from halfords @£145 and it is still like new.

https://s2.postimg.org/pawok0deh/image.jpg1_zpshcbtaabt.jpgupload pic

Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 29th May

I prefer the transfers on the frame of your i-fold bike, mine is like the picture I linked to except I think I have black painted spokes like your bike. I assume your's is the slightly later version and perhaps mine is in-between the 2. Don't like the step through design of the Raleigh and despite the Raleigh name looks a very generic bike which I think I've seen under other brands.

Did you get it all sorted in the end?

Original Poster

Well as you know from my earlier posts, replaced bottom bracket on one of them for now and living with the clicking noise till the rear freewheels need replacing. Started to put a few miles on them now so feel like I'm getting my monies worth out of them. Took one of the hoptowns holiday with me and it performed ok and done in what I needed.
    Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 6th Jul

One question you are mentioning plural Hoptowns does that mean they allowed you to keep the original model you received when they sent you a replacement or did you buy another?

Original Poster

bonzobanana

One question you are mentioning plural Hoptowns does that mean they … One question you are mentioning plural Hoptowns does that mean they allowed you to keep the original model you received when they sent you a replacement or did you buy another?

Purchased another, with the original idea to keep the best of the two,. But in the end thought I would just keep both as if one breaks in 12 months I will then use it to keep the other one going in Spares.

One other problem happened this weekend, the seat clamp kept slipping leaving the seat tipped backwards, no matter how much I tightened the clamp it still tilted, it was a common problem in the reviews, Not a problem for me though as I have a couple of seat clamps in spares.
    Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 9th Jul

So just to recap, the freewheels makes intermittant noises, the bottom bracket was faulty on one of the bikes and both suffer from a very low quality seat clamp that allows the saddle to move and tip backwards and can't be successfully tightened. Many of the components are pretty much junk quality it seems. You seem quite keen on them but the way it reads is they are absolutely terrible bikes.

Is that because they are still good fun to ride maybe because of the simplicity of one gear.

Out of interest did you have any problems with your super cheap Tesco folding bike?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What to do?????45
      2. Now tv entertainment passes22
      3. Any free Now TV sports passes?33
      4. Beds33

See more discussions