Groups

Can anyone help me set static ip address ?

what would the two boxes need to be where arrows are pointing at ? do i need to change anything in the virgin modem ?

32 Comments

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/m5l14MJ.png

Edited by: "andybriggs03" 31st Oct 2016

As far as I know Virgin don't offer static IP addresses to residential customers. I could very well be wrong though.

andybriggs03

[img]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=689ddfc0aa&view=fimg&th=1581b7083d3765a3&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_iuy8ttd50&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ93yv8J7WI_prMZrvRkL89Sa6ERqwJ9hHE6balBAnnotUph1dvmeQ2nJxh1VCN0AVziQ-l5fofSq9EdZQwSLM3AumvmPKe7JaDMVmvhkScfLyU-Vir1rZ5NqPc&ats=1477929111408&rm=1581b7083d3765a3&zw&sz=w1920-h901[/img]

Hi, Cant see that image. Try uploading it imgur

Also why are you wanting to setup a static IP address and what device?

Original Poster

n00dles0up

Hi, Cant see that image. Try uploading it imgurAlso why are you wanting … Hi, Cant see that image. Try uploading it imgurAlso why are you wanting to setup a static IP address and what device?

its for an enigma based tv box )

The netmask should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the IP address of your Virgin Media Router which by default is 192.168.0.1. Check the sticker on the router to be sure.

As far my experience is and discussion with VM network team, they don't offer static ip but you can stay on same IP address for years. They usually refresh ip addresses for users for every 25 days. If your hub is connected on and there will be no restarting on hub on day, they will never change your IP address. I am using some services required static IP and i am on same IP from nearly a year. All you need to know next date when they will refresh IP address in your area. Keep adding 25 day to get next date.

andybriggs03

its for an enigma based tv box )

Great, I can now see the image.

I am on virgin media but using a superhub 3 in modem only mode. But for the 2 arrows try the following which are defaults:

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Edited by: "n00dles0up" 31st Oct 2016

Quick question where did you get the DNS IP addresses from. Do you have DNS setup within your network(s) on these IP addresses? if not use Google DNS (Primary) 8.8.8.8 (secondary) 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS (DNS1) 208.67.222.222 (DNS2) 208.67.220.220 or use one of each.

Original Poster

RedDragon2k1

Quick question where did you get the DNS IP addresses from. Do you have … Quick question where did you get the DNS IP addresses from. Do you have DNS setup within your network(s) on these IP addresses? if not use Google DNS (Primary) 8.8.8.8 (secondary) 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS (DNS1) 208.67.222.222 (DNS2) 208.67.220.220 or use one of each.

its standard one that the box got from dhcp settings

RedDragon2k1

Quick question where did you get the DNS IP addresses from. Do you have … Quick question where did you get the DNS IP addresses from. Do you have DNS setup within your network(s) on these IP addresses? if not use Google DNS (Primary) 8.8.8.8 (secondary) 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS (DNS1) 208.67.222.222 (DNS2) 208.67.220.220 or use one of each.

They (194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100) are the default Virgin Media DNS servers - fine for the TiVo box.

Ar460rn

They (194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100) are the default Virgin Media DNS … They (194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100) are the default Virgin Media DNS servers - fine for the TiVo box.

Ahh yes 194.168.x.x my bad. I read that as 192.168.x.x

Original Poster

RedDragon2k1

Unless you have these servers use any of the DNS server IP's I stated in … Unless you have these servers use any of the DNS server IP's I stated in my previous post. Otherwise the box will not be able to access anything unless it already knows thier IP address.

so:-
    ip address 192.168.0.13
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    and gateway 192.168.0.1

primary dns 8.8.8.8
    secondary dns 8.8.4.4

an il be good to go ?

andybriggs03

so:-ip address 192.168.0.13netmask 255.255.255.0and gateway … so:-ip address 192.168.0.13netmask 255.255.255.0and gateway 192.168.0.1primary dns 8.8.8.8secondary dns 8.8.4.4an il be good to go ?

Should be. Just double check your gateway IP(router). my Virgin Router is on 192.168.0.1 but of course yours may be different, as I mentioned previously check the sticker on router.
    Edited by: "RedDragon2k1" 31st Oct 2016

andybriggs03

so:-ip address 192.168.0.13netmask 255.255.255.0and gateway … so:-ip address 192.168.0.13netmask 255.255.255.0and gateway 192.168.0.1primary dns 8.8.8.8secondary dns 8.8.4.4an il be good to go ?

I dont see why it wouldnt work. The DNS's you can stick or keep the default virgin media ones. Stick for now and let us know if it works.

Original Poster

il report back just letting pal have ago on BF1

Original Poster

brilliant all them settings are working just going to try setting up so i can access outside my network, would i have to use a dyndns paid for service?

Where do you add 25 days? Do you use super hub router or an additional router

Original Poster

wakkaday

Where do you add 25 days? Do you use super hub router or an additional … Where do you add 25 days? Do you use super hub router or an additional router

superhub.....what do you mean 25 days ?

andybriggs03

brilliant all them settings are working just going to try setting up so i … brilliant all them settings are working just going to try setting up so i can access outside my network, would i have to use a dyndns paid for service?

Either use your external IP address or use a service like DynDns yes. You can find your Internet IP by going to whatismyip.com/ and also forward the appropriate ports on the Virgin Router to the IP address you set for the TV box.

n00dles0up

Great, I can now see the image.I am on virgin media but using a superhub … Great, I can now see the image.I am on virgin media but using a superhub 3 in modem only mode. But for the 2 arrows try the following which are defaults:Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0Gateway: 192.168.0.1

​Keep adding 25days where

Original Poster

RedDragon2k1

Either use your external IP address or use a service like DynDns yes. You … Either use your external IP address or use a service like DynDns yes. You can find your Internet IP by going to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and also forward the appropriate ports on the Virgin Router to the IP address you set for the TV box.

so basically my box is set to 192.168.0.13 i enable DMZ put the 13 part in

then here:https://i.gyazo.com/7ba6376287ea25920181d4f3df0323fe.png

local start port could be 8000
    an end port could be 8001

and same for external start port ??

protocol set to both and thn just enable ?

andybriggs03

so basically my box is set to 192.168.0.13 i enable DMZ put the 13 part … so basically my box is set to 192.168.0.13 i enable DMZ put the 13 part in then here:local start port could be 8000an end port could be 8001and same for external start port ??protocol set to both and thn just enable ?

I wouldn't recommend DMZ except for testing purposes. Find out which ports the TV box server uses and forward those ports in the router to the IP address you set on TV box(192.168.0.13). In most cases, the local and external ports will be the same.

Edited by: "RedDragon2k1" 31st Oct 2016

Original Poster

Had to change the dns servers to point to google for some reason it was throwing modem off I'm going to try the dyndns thing today.

When I put the domain address my own IP in the timote app it still couldn't connect how do I find out what ports it is using?

PS thanks for the help

Edited by: "andybriggs03" 1st Nov 2016

If you still intend to use dhcp for other devices make sure you tell router to not use .13 as part of it's dhcp pool or a power cut may cause some fun.

Original Poster

maddogb

If you still intend to use dhcp for other devices make sure you tell … If you still intend to use dhcp for other devices make sure you tell router to not use .13 as part of it's dhcp pool or a power cut may cause some fun.

an how do you do that on a virgin hub?

andybriggs03

an how do you do that on a virgin hub?

dunno mate no virgin round here and never seen one but it's a fairly standard feature and have seen prob 50 different routers with this feature so it should be there somewhere.

I have the super hub, I think you have the newer one but in advanced setting you can say where to start the attached devices ip addr's from ie 1 to 254 change it to 14 to 254.

I also like to reserve the ip addr in the router DHCP reservations section so I can use ssh to move files and remote login from machine to machine with out getting different ips after router power downs or similar.

Original Poster

Yaradabbadoo

I have the super hub, I think you have the newer one but in advanced … I have the super hub, I think you have the newer one but in advanced setting you can say where to start the attached devices ip addr's from ie 1 to 254 change it to 14 to 254.I also like to reserve the ip addr in the router DHCP reservations section so I can use ssh to move files and remote login from machine to machine with out getting different ips after router power downs or similar.

Brilliant thans for the help, if i do the same to my xbox one and give it a static ip and point to google dns servers do you think i will get poorer internet connection or anything as thinking of putting the xbox into dmz to sort moderate nat out.

ps like this

https://i.gyazo.com/49e1219c4cc510ddfab45223d2a8cd93.png

Edited by: "andybriggs03" 2nd Nov 2016

I don't know what that DMZ is and I don't have a games console so cant help on that:-)

I use no-ip.com it is free, you point it at your ip and you pick a domain name you can use as a static domain as the domain name doesn't change just the ip it uses.

The catch is, your router has to have a dynamic dns function meaning it will dynamically inform no-ip of a ip change and they set the domain name to point at the new ip Virgin gives you if and when it changes.

The Virgin router does not have this feature but you can plug in a router which does have the feature behind the Virgin box or you can install some software on your computer which will do the same thing.

You can also use the Virgin box as just a modem and use a better router but I like to have 2 routers as I can extend the signal up stairs with a long cat 7 ethernet cable and plug into my network hub and then in my Netgear router and have strong wifi upstairs and downstairs.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want wake on lan then you need a fancy router but WOL is a security risk so dont do it:-)

I have never looked at the other services mainly due to lack of time to play around.

If you want to add the xbox just add a new port forward entry with a different port and the Xboxs local static dhcp ip, I dont know if they have firewalls but just need to make sure that port number is open.

Edited by: "Yaradabbadoo" 2nd Nov 2016

Original Poster

Yaradabbadoo

I don't know what that DMZ is and I don't have a games console so cant … I don't know what that DMZ is and I don't have a games console so cant help on that:-)I use no-ip.com it is free, you point it at your ip and you pick a domain name you can use as a static domain as the domain name doesn't change just the ip it uses. The catch is, your router has to have a dynamic dns function meaning it will dynamically inform no-ip of a ip change and they set the domain name to point at the new ip Virgin gives you if and when it changes.The Virgin router does not have this feature but you can plug in a router which does have the feature behind the Virgin box or you can install some software on your computer which will do the same thing.You can also use the Virgin box as just a modem and use a better router but I like to have 2 routers as I can extend the signal up stairs with a long cat 7 ethernet cable and plug into my network hub and then in my Netgear router and have strong wifi upstairs and downstairs.It all depends on what you want to do, if you want wake on lan then you need a fancy router but WOL is a security risk so dont do it:-)I have never looked at the other services mainly due to lack of time to play around.If you want to add the xbox just add a new port forward entry with a different port and the Xboxs local static dhcp ip, I dont know if they have firewalls but just need to make sure that port number is open.

Thanks, after reading up a little bit about watching outside my network, some people advised that the box could be hacked, things stolen, lines shared, people streaming etc etc

If i go the domain name way which i think is best as you suggested, could it be a free domain name? would i need a hosting package for the traffic that will be going through it ?

Edited by: "andybriggs03" 3rd Nov 2016

Original Poster

RedDragon2k1

I wouldn't recommend DMZ except for testing purposes. Find out which … I wouldn't recommend DMZ except for testing purposes. Find out which ports the TV box server uses and forward those ports in the router to the IP address you set on TV box(192.168.0.13). In most cases, the local and external ports will be the same.

Do you think point to googles servers (dns) will affect the quality of the stream or have i got a bad line, seemed ok before, but only had it a week or so.

I got a domain name from no-ip, if I remember correctly you can just choose one it wont be particularly snappy or short but who cares!

I dont know what Google Dns servers are but just giving it a brief look over it looks like its for when you are setting up a server, correct me if I am wrong but you just want a static ip to feed your TV box streaming.

You need to look up more about firewalls on these things, the Internet of Things ground the Internet to halt last week, when hackers used them to overwhelm servers because internet connected kettles etc don't have great security:-)

I dont have one so I cant really say much more as I am no expert on such things, I use ssh which is pretty much secure as I have huge encrypted keys on each machine and multi level firewalls.

As soon as you put a server online there are bots out there that will instantly try and get in to it but if you have a firewall and ssh you can add lots of measures to stop them getting in.

My log files on my home server have entries every second of some unwanted attempt to get in. But you will be fine as long as you can put up a firewall and set up a shh tunnel or something, again I dont have one so I dont know I just have linux boxes and linux servers so I can stop all that but I believe these boxes are Android which Is kinda Linux so there must be something you can put on it.

Good Luck!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1627
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2663
      3. word survey912
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518

See more discussions