Can anyone help my son wants a gaming laptop

Found 17th Sep 2017
Please can anyone help my son wants a gaming laptop for Christmas he will be 6 and I know nothing about them he wants to be able to do mods on Minecraft please help also don't want to spend an arm and a le
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
He's 6. When I was 6 I was out on my bike with friends. This was only 11 years ago.

Gaming laptops are expensive. As far as I'm aware, most laptops can run minecraft. Core i3 8GB DDR3 laptop can run minecraft (I have one and for a short time played minecraft).
Proper gaming laptops can cost a fortune, £1500+, but if he's only going to be playing Minecraft you definitely don't need to spend anything like that. As stated about, you could get away with spending less than a third of that.
Both comments from dolphin and badger are good.

Personally I feel gaming laptops don't mix well with children, the screen, the sticky keyboard (come to think of it sticky keyboards can be an issue from 12+ for most males), not to mention the failure they have to charge or maintain a lithium battery.

I'd recommend an Xbox, not sure if they do mods, but the laptops just asking for trouble IMO.
Edited by: "hairray" 17th Sep 2017
hairray9 m ago

Both commend from dolphin and badger are good.Personally I feel gaming …Both commend from dolphin and badger are good.Personally I feel gaming laptops don't mix well with children, the screen, the sticky keyboard (come to think of it sticky keyboards can be an issue from 12+ for most males), not to mention the failure they have to charge or maintain a lithium battery.I'd recommend an Xbox, not sure if they do mods, but the laptops just asking for trouble IMO.

Bought a laptop for my daughter a when she was 11 for school work. Lasted a year because she downloaded stuff she didn't understand and just totally f(ckd it. Now she's 15 n in need of one but I still darent buy one (although I'm gonna have to because she enjoys writing stories). I'd definitely agree with the others, 6 is extremely young. Just because they can play games doesn't mean they understand how a computer works and what to not go on ect.
If you give them everything too young, what will you have left to buy them when they are older. IMO They don't appreciate expensive stuff at that age and you may very well regret it.
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 17th Sep 2017
Of course, I'd forgot, downloading things! I believe there is a site dedicated to safe mine craft mods, but it only takes the wrong click and booommm.

Consoles are great for kids, switch them on, play them, switch them off.

Pcs and laptops aren't as plug and play, unless you're a tech person and you can iron out the kinks with ease.

Don't do it!
LeahsMintytoutou27 m ago

Bought a laptop for my daughter a when she was 11 for school work. Lasted …Bought a laptop for my daughter a when she was 11 for school work. Lasted a year because she downloaded stuff she didn't understand and just totally f(ckd it. Now she's 15 n in need of one but I still darent buy one (although I'm gonna have to because she enjoys writing stories). I'd definitely agree with the others, 6 is extremely young. Just because they can play games doesn't mean they understand how a computer works and what to not go on ect.If you give them everything too young, what will you have left to buy them when they are older. IMO They don't appreciate expensive stuff at that age and you may very well regret it.

You can't mess up a laptop by installing stuff on it, that just makes no sense, a fresh install of Windows would literally wipe everything and it would be as good as new. It's a great PC World tactic, but not actually true. It's a bit like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words, just makes no sense.
Original Poster
hairray49 m ago

Both comments from dolphin and badger are good.Personally I feel gaming …Both comments from dolphin and badger are good.Personally I feel gaming laptops don't mix well with children, the screen, the sticky keyboard (come to think of it sticky keyboards can be an issue from 12+ for most males), not to mention the failure they have to charge or maintain a lithium battery.I'd recommend an Xbox, not sure if they do mods, but the laptops just asking for trouble IMO.

He already has Xbox one
kevnemma2 m ago

He already has Xbox one

Lucky lad.
Original Poster
Honestly if you could see the things he can do he is a wizz kid
MIDURIX21 m ago

You can't mess up a laptop by installing stuff on it, that just makes no …You can't mess up a laptop by installing stuff on it, that just makes no sense, a fresh install of Windows would literally wipe everything and it would be as good as new. It's a great PC World tactic, but not actually true. It's a bit like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words, just makes no sense.

You can mess up any device by downloading nasty onto it. Hell, you can you do it by downloading legit software that's not optimised!

PC World Tactic?

Not everyone wants to reinstall the OS, time consuming and not second nature to some. Least of all the op who has said they're not tech savvy.
MIDURIX21 m ago

You can't mess up a laptop by installing stuff on it, that just makes no …You can't mess up a laptop by installing stuff on it, that just makes no sense, a fresh install of Windows would literally wipe everything and it would be as good as new. It's a great PC World tactic, but not actually true. It's a bit like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words, just makes no sense.

No it isn't like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words.. swear words don't actually install on the typewriter also a typewriter doesn't have a brain. It's manual.
I am am telling you she wrecked her laptop, I'm assuming it's from all the crap she downloaded. I know you can wipe a laptop but not sure if it works the same if there's a virus been downloaded.
kevnemma5 m ago

I don't doubt it, my 15 year old brother is great with computers and all the knowledge. But hasn't got a clue when it comes to maintaining hardware. I bought him a Surface Pro when he was into Minecraft, within 3 months it was on eBay.

It's an established fact that consoles are the easiest way to play games.

I think we're all speaking from experience, it will become expensive for you if you're not tech savvy. Repair bills etc.
Also, have you considered that the Xbox one x is coming out. Looks quite impressive, far better than a budget laptop for gaming.
Original Poster
Can you do mods and things on normal laptop he into minecraft roblox and things like that
I'd hold off buying a specific gaming laptop or PC as long as you can . My son managed with a normal PC to do his gaming until he was 16 , alongside a host of games consoles. Really no need to spend a fortune if your son is just doing simple stuff like mine craft. Also would recommend a gaming PC over a laptop anyway , my son has already upgraded parts of his after two years which at least is an option on a gaming PC.
LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 59 m ago

No it isn't like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words.. …No it isn't like saying you broke a typewriter by typing swear words.. swear words don't actually install on the typewriter also a typewriter doesn't have a brain. It's manual. I am am telling you she wrecked her laptop, I'm assuming it's from all the crap she downloaded. I know you can wipe a laptop but not sure if it works the same if there's a virus been downloaded.

If the laptop has a fresh install of Windows on how can the virus remain?
hairray2 h, 6 m ago

You can mess up any device by downloading nasty onto it. Hell, you can you …You can mess up any device by downloading nasty onto it. Hell, you can you do it by downloading legit software that's not optimised! PC World Tactic? Not everyone wants to reinstall the OS, time consuming and not second nature to some. Least of all the op who has said they're not tech savvy.

Why would you stop using a laptop when you could spend 30-60min reinstalling Windows? The excuse that someone isn't tech savvy is nonsense now a days when 90 year old have iPhone.
MIDURIX5 m ago

Why would you stop using a laptop when you could spend 30-60min …Why would you stop using a laptop when you could spend 30-60min reinstalling Windows? The excuse that someone isn't tech savvy is nonsense now a days when 90 year old have iPhone.

Because they don't know how to do a fresh install? They don't have a restore disk, they don't have a USB, they dont know what a USB is? I download a fake version of Windows by mistake, they end up buying another copy of Windows...list goes on...

An iPhone is hardly comparable, it's designed to be easy to use and I know plenty of 80 year olds that don't know how to use an iPhone.

I guess we're all not as enlightened as you...
MIDURIX38 m ago

Why would you stop using a laptop when you could spend 30-60min …Why would you stop using a laptop when you could spend 30-60min reinstalling Windows? The excuse that someone isn't tech savvy is nonsense now a days when 90 year old have iPhone.

MIDURIX38 m ago

It won't turn on. Couldnt reinstall Windows as it would cost me a lot to get it done. I don't have anyone to do it for me either.

And I think your kind of going off point to be honest. My point was my daughter ruined the laptop through her using it however she did when she was 11. My point that buying a gaming laptop for a 6year old is really something I wouldn't recommend going from experience of an 11 year old making it non working is the only point I was makeing. Whether it can be fixed or not (at a cost) is totally irrelevant.

Not something I wish to argue about. It was years ago.
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 17th Sep 2017
hairray30 m ago

Because they don't know how to do a fresh install? They don't have a …Because they don't know how to do a fresh install? They don't have a restore disk, they don't have a USB, they dont know what a USB is? I download a fake version of Windows by mistake, they end up buying another copy of Windows...list goes on...An iPhone is hardly comparable, it's designed to be easy to use and I know plenty of 80 year olds that don't know how to use an iPhone. I guess we're all not as enlightened as you...

My mum has a modern phone and can only text and call. Anything goes wrong with it it's me who has to sort it. she can't even email and I've shown her ten billion times lol
LeahsMintytoutou6 m ago

It won't turn on. Couldnt reinstall Windows as it would cost me a lot to …It won't turn on. Couldnt reinstall Windows as it would cost me a lot to get it done. I don't have anyone to do it for me either. And I think your kind of going off point to be honest. My point was my daughter ruined the laptop through her using it however she did when she was 11. My point that buying a gaming laptop for a 6year old is really something I wouldn't recommend going from experience of an 11 year old making it non working is the only point I I was trying to make. Whether it can be fixed or not is irrelevant. Not or something I wish to argue about. It was years ago.

Their point is to fail to see the opinions of others and an inability to consider not everyone has the ability/desire/tools to reinstall an OS.
Buy a PlayStation or Xbox there cheaper and made to do the gaming, a laptop that will give you the same performance would be five times more expensive
My only point is I just think it is bizarre to stop using a laptop purely because of a software issue. You can say that someone might not know how to do a fresh install, but YouTube is a fantastic resource for such things. I just hate to see people throw money down the drain and be mislead all because they think a slow laptop equals a dead/dying laptop. Anyway... No offence intended. I also agree that a gaming laptop for a six year old is a bit silly.
MIDURIX25 m ago

My only point is I just think it is bizarre to stop using a laptop purely …My only point is I just think it is bizarre to stop using a laptop purely because of a software issue. You can say that someone might not know how to do a fresh install, but YouTube is a fantastic resource for such things. I just hate to see people throw money down the drain and be mislead all because they think a slow laptop equals a dead/dying laptop. Anyway... No offence intended. I also agree that a gaming laptop for a six year old is a bit silly.

In my experience older generations, even 40+ don't turn to Youtube or Google, they turn to good old fashioned person to person experience. Look through HUKD 'ASK', people ask things that they could find out with a lot more ease through Google, but they don't.

I agree, it's a shame when people discard their computers as not working.

Have a great Sunday evening.
A basic laptop would do for say £200 if it's only for minecraft cause it's requirements are tiny. Heck you could simply get him a tablet if you wanted to buy a gaming laptop is ridiculous for a 6 year old to have and completely unnecessary. Alienware for example is probably the best gaming laptops but your talking £1500 minimum, the best thing I would suggest is getting a desktop pc. You could spend £100 and just upgrade it as he gets older and wants to play more demanding games
Original Poster
weerob886 h, 51 m ago

A basic laptop would do for say £200 if it's only for minecraft cause it's …A basic laptop would do for say £200 if it's only for minecraft cause it's requirements are tiny. Heck you could simply get him a tablet if you wanted to buy a gaming laptop is ridiculous for a 6 year old to have and completely unnecessary. Alienware for example is probably the best gaming laptops but your talking £1500 minimum, the best thing I would suggest is getting a desktop pc. You could spend £100 and just upgrade it as he gets older and wants to play more demanding games

Just wanted a laptop he can play his games and do mods.cos when he watching his favourite YouTube's and they say click the link in description and you can do it he want to be able to do that so if you can do that on a normal laptop or pc that would be great
kevnemma17th Sep

my mother say that about me.....I'm over 30.... see the issue here?
i'm guessing your kid is not so good with football, running and sports in general...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants