Groups

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE-TECHNICAL-setting laptop with mobile phone as modem.

Well new laptop daughter is wanting to use it with her phone.
    We bought it for her 21st and she till cant use it on the internet

She has installed drivers for two handsets-her old Nokia 5400 and a new 5310..tried two sims which are both activated and will access internet on the handsets.
    Computer has list of available networks both handsets but when you try to connect it says no telephone signal detected on the lappy. Both handsets are fine on her desktop pc(she is using a cable btw to connect)
    Been to tech guys at pcworld today-lol-wrong name as havent a clue!

They tried to tell us it was the phones-and both networks, but after sometime told us they thought it was old version of software on phone (its 5 months old-he said its version 6.84 and the new one is 7.

The desktop is XP and the lappy is Vista if this would make a difference.

I am NOT technical so would appreciate if someone had the patience to tell me if they know why this is happening?

Thanks! Louloo

14 Comments

I think you need to update the software if possible

Original Poster

you think so? you think they are right?

Probably, they know more than me..So try it..it could be the software conflicting..:)

Hi I believe it could be more to do with the software you have on your laptop. You mention drivers, but is it a pc suite that came on a disc with the phone?. Usually within the pc suite there is a mobile phone networking wizard.....which make of phones are you using?

Original Poster

Dougb1;3712117

Hi I believe it could be more to do with the software you have on your … Hi I believe it could be more to do with the software you have on your laptop. You mention drivers, but is it a pc suite that came on a disc with the phone?. Usually within the pc suite there is a mobile phone networking wizard.....which make of phones are you using?

Hi-thanks for your response!

The phones are Nokia 5300 and 5310-she has downloaded both software discs and the same thing happens with both handsets on both o2 and T-mobile-i feel it is the laptop but i dont know hwo to rectify it.

I used to work in Orange data support and I haven't done this for a while, but you need a dail up acc on the laptop and a set of setting on the phone which the laptop uses as an access point. The laptop has to use a spoof dialing code (*#99 I think). I'll try to find the info, but it's been a while. ..

Also you need special data product on your mobile acc HSCSD to make the connection.

Bare in mind this uses a HELL of a lot of data when you go on line, she could end up with a huge bill at the end of the month. Data isn't in most package (well not dial up data). . .

I take it you are trying to connect via the Nokia PC Suite Software and not through the PCs networking wizard. Here is a link to the Nokia demo nokia.co.uk/A46…259 and the software is available to download from the site if you dont already have it :thumbsup:

Original Poster

steve1221;3712414

I used to work in Orange data support and I haven't done this for a … I used to work in Orange data support and I haven't done this for a while, but you need a dail up acc on the laptop and a set of setting on the phone which the laptop uses as an access point. The laptop has to use a spoof dialing code (*#99 I think). I'll try to find the info, but it's been a while. .. Also you need special data product on your mobile acc HSCSD to make the connection.Bare in mind this uses a HELL of a lot of data when you go on line, she could end up with a huge bill at the end of the month. Data isn't in most package (well not dial up data). . .

Hi-yes it has the spoof dialling code as you say. How do we set the phone though please?

Original Poster

Dougb1;3712735

I take it you are trying to connect via the Nokia PC Suite Software and … I take it you are trying to connect via the Nokia PC Suite Software and not through the PCs networking wizard. Here is a link to the Nokia demo http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4630259 and the software is available to download from the site if you dont already have it :thumbsup:

Hi-yes its the one in the box. I will have a go at that tomorrow thanks!

Oh and she has pay as you go t-mobile the £1 a day as she wont use it daily-and if she does we will get some kind of contract!

Hi LouLou, pay as you go phones are fine ( it wont make any difference to what you are trying to achieve, although one network may be better/faster than the other depending on your location and signal strength.) Also most networks offer data bundles for payg! Hope you get sorted tomorrow I feel sure you will :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Dougb1;3713162

Hi LouLou, pay as you go phones are fine ( it wont make any difference to … Hi LouLou, pay as you go phones are fine ( it wont make any difference to what you are trying to achieve, although one network may be better/faster than the other depending on your location and signal strength.) Also most networks offer data bundles for payg! Hope you get sorted tomorrow I feel sure you will :thumbsup:

oh forgot to mention-i just looked at the nokia info you gave me..

she can transfer pics and phonebook etc so it is synchronised(if thats the right word-lol)

Just the internet problem:x

Banned

Sounds like it may be a Vista problem, not played with phones and vista for a while.

Maybe worth trying to re-install the cable driver from here, just incase it didn't install corectly:
    europe.nokia.com/A41…937

Hope it helps

Original Poster

soupy;3714979

Sounds like it may be a Vista problem, not played with phones and vista … Sounds like it may be a Vista problem, not played with phones and vista for a while.Maybe worth trying to re-install the cable driver from here, just incase it didn't install corectly:http://europe.nokia.com/A4144937Hope it helps

Hi-thanks! but she can use it for her phonebook and pics with the cable so does this mean the cable is fine?

Banned

louloo;3716200

Hi-thanks! but she can use it for her phonebook and pics with the cable … Hi-thanks! but she can use it for her phonebook and pics with the cable so does this mean the cable is fine?

Check there is no problem with the modem driver.

When the phone is plugged go to Start, Control Panel, System, Device Manager,
    hardware and look under modems for the mobile phone modem.

If there is a problem, remove the pc suite and run th pc suite cleaner:
    download.chip.eu/en/…tml
    reboot & re-install the pc suite:
    nokia.co.uk/A46…249
    Once installed, reboot, then with the phone plugged in check the modem driver again, if it is showing without any problem it should now connect to the internet fine.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions