Can anyone help with new router settings for AOL pls?

Found 19th Aug 2011
Our old AOL modem's wireless stopped working, so we bought a TP-LINK W8901G. Going through the setup and it wont finish, it says to check the WAN and network connections. Keep trying to ring AOL and they say theyre having techical issues (when arent they). All the reviews Ive found say theyre really easy to set up and they just do it themselves, so frustrated as its not. Does anyone else know what were doing wrong and can help please? Thanks
Community Updates
MiscRouter
13 Comments
deleted265520
I suggest you check the WAN and network connections.
Original Poster
dtovey89

I suggest you check the WAN and network connections.

But how do I do that? It doesnt even mention them in the setup wizard.
Original Poster
newbie1001

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/AOLsetup.htmmay be some help

Thanks someone on another site pointed me to that, which Ive followed and its still not working.
Are you 100% sure you are using the correct user name and password supplied by AOL. Also is the CD light permanently Green or Flashing
Edited by: "newbie1001" 19th Aug 2011
Try setting up the router using an ethernet cable from the laptop to the router (rather than with wi fi).

You can set it up with wi fi once you have it working.

Make sure the "phone" cable is plugged in the socket on the right (away from the bank of four sockets close together).

Then plug the ethernet cable in one of the four sockets, and the other end into the laptop.

Now go through the setup and see if it works.
Edited by: "guilbert53" 19th Aug 2011
Try getting a decent provider .
AOL is so last century !!!
Edited by: "markjohnson" 19th Aug 2011
There is a YouTube video here for setting up the router

Make sure you are following it correctly

youtube.com/wat…VN0
people still use aol?
Original Poster
newbie1001

Are you 100% sure you are using the correct user name and password … Are you 100% sure you are using the correct user name and password supplied by AOL. Also is the CD light permanently Green or Flashing

No were not sure, It says on the kitz site to use your aol screen name and password, but we thought that maybe this should be different and should be something AOL gave us (which we dont have any more as weve been with them for years), could we find it out through our old router settings somehow? Green light on the CD? Which light do you mean, on new modem power light and WLAN light are on, then when it tries to complete setup WLAN and the ethernet lights flash. Never does the internet light come on.

Gilbert53, we are doing setup through ethernet cable to begin with and have all correct leads in place.
Edited by: "manda1" 19th Aug 2011
Original Poster
Yeah we know AOL is ****, were slightly stuck as we live out in sticks so cant get the good deals that a lot can. Were going to move to sky, just got to get the MAC code, but until then we just wanted the wireless to work again, as cables driving me nuts.
Now going to watch youtube vid, thanks
Under ADSL setup the username for the router is your phone number followed by @dialbb.com
so something like - 01222600111@dialbb.com

password should be aol123
Original Poster
gavjbrown

Under ADSL setup the username for the router is your phone number … Under ADSL setup the username for the router is your phone number followed by @dialbb.comso something like - 01222600111@dialbb.compassword should be aol123

Thank you soooooo much, if I could hug you I would, lol. Its finally worked! Now just got to set up the wireless bit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants