Groups

Can anyone help with this Maths problem?

We've all been trying and can't work it out.

Find the values of k for which k(x to the power 2) + 8x +5 =0 has real roots.

the answer is: x is smaller than zero, x is greater than 1.

But despite various attempts and graphs drawn we cannot get from the problem to the answer

7 Comments

oh maths, i like maths
    wait hold on ill get you the answer

42 - Always the answer.....

the answer is not "answering the question"
    why is the answer talking about x when we wanna know about k

To find the real roots, it comes to the formulae -b+-(sqrt)"bsquared - 4ac" etc
    using only bsquared -4ac, it is possible to determine if there are real roots or no roots
    bsquared-4ac = 64-20k
    64-20k must be =>0 if to have real roots
    so 64 - 20k => 0
    solving makes 3.2 => k
    or k must be equal or less than 3.2 if the equation was to have real roots

Edit: it says "real roots", so I guess one root is not good enough, so make the answer just less than 3.2

Use the Quadratic formula -b + or - the square root of b squared - 4ac divided by 2a

standard form is ax2 + bx + c=0
    :thumbsup:

Its a 2 degree polynomial or more commonly known as a quadratic equation. The graph should be a parabola but this link will give you the real roots ]http//ww…php

Also, don't forget that if K is variable you can have quite a few different roots for the equation.

Original Poster

Thanks for your help so far. We've now worked out that the answer is wrong - it seems the publishers of the textbook have actually missed that answer out and wrongly numbered the answers.
    However, we still think there are to many unknowns to be able to solve this?

Artonox;3018074

the answer is not "answering the question"why is the answer talking about … the answer is not "answering the question"why is the answer talking about x when we wanna know about kTo find the real roots, it comes to the formulae -b+-(sqrt)"bsquared - 4ac" etcusing only bsquared -4ac, it is possible to determine if there are real roots or no rootsbsquared-4ac = 64-20k64-20k must be =>0 if to have real rootsso 64 - 20k => 0solving makes 3.2 => kor k must be equal or less than 3.2 if the equation was to have real rootsEdit: it says "real roots", so I guess one root is not good enough, so make the answer just less than 3.2

kensington143;3018282

Thanks for your help so far. We've now worked out that the answer is … Thanks for your help so far. We've now worked out that the answer is wrong - it seems the publishers of the textbook have actually missed that answer out and wrongly numbered the answers.However, we still think there are to many unknowns to be able to solve this?

I don't think it is asking you to solve, just what values for K would give real roots, hence not a negative sqauare root. Look again at this first quote, just consider the sqaure root part of your quadratic formula, if this is zero or greater your roots are real.

You should only be considering the discriminant
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions