Can anyone please help with this unusual activity I received on my phone this evening?

Posted 30th May
I experienced an unusual activity on my phone this evening. I received a text message in the form of a notification. My text messages are also set to vibrate only, when I received this message this is how it arrived on my phone. The message read, and included my brother's name, "message sent successfully to....", even though the message I sent was sent successfully quite a few minutes beforehand. After clicking on the notification it took me directly to mine and my brother's conversation. I thought this very odd as I've never received a notification like this before, especially as it directed me straight to our conversation.

I have AVG Antivirus installed on my phone. I've done a scan yet doesn't detect anything unusual. And also downloaded Malwarebytes and the same again, hasn't detect anything unusual.

Is there anything else I can do to check an unusual activity?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Sounds like you have SMS delivery reports enabled. If so, that's nothing to be concerned about.
Edited by: "jamie15" 30th May
jamie1530/05/2020 04:10

Sounds like you have SMS delivery reports enabled. If so, that's nothing …Sounds like you have SMS delivery reports enabled. If so, that's nothing to be concerned about.

Sounds like it, I think the delay could be either, signal dropped out (could be at either end) so it bounced around a bit before getting there... Or it might only have sent the notification when your brother read it (I think this is unlikely but depends which phone and network).
What phone are you using?.
nopartylikeansclubparty30/05/2020 04:55

Sounds like it, I think the delay could be either, signal dropped out …Sounds like it, I think the delay could be either, signal dropped out (could be at either end) so it bounced around a bit before getting there... Or it might only have sent the notification when your brother read it (I think this is unlikely but depends which phone and network).

On 3 mobile. Yes and drops out continuously. Sometimes don't notice as mostly I do stuff over the internet at home anyway. Is a nuisance though, especially when trying to make phone calls.
Bargainhead30/05/2020 05:47

What phone are you using?.

Moto G5 Plus. I know, it's an phone though I'm happy with it and don't see the point in replacing it when it works fine. In fact it's almost as good as when I first bought it.
jamie1530/05/2020 04:10

Sounds like you have SMS delivery reports enabled. If so, that's nothing …Sounds like you have SMS delivery reports enabled. If so, that's nothing to be concerned about.

I just checked. Get SMS delivery reports is turned off.
LemonHead30/05/2020 09:10

Moto G5 Plus. I know, it's an phone though I'm happy with it and don't see …Moto G5 Plus. I know, it's an phone though I'm happy with it and don't see the point in replacing it when it works fine. In fact it's almost as good as when I first bought it.

could you not back up data. then do factory reset..
LemonHead30/05/2020 09:16

Turn them on, see how phone behaves now, turn them off again, and see what happens. May save a reset.
LemonHead30/05/2020 09:16

Not sure what it could be then.
Did the message have emojis on it, sometimes they count as picture messages if that notification is on
harrythefish30/05/2020 10:49

Turn them on, see how phone behaves now, turn them off again, and see what …Turn them on, see how phone behaves now, turn them off again, and see what happens. May save a reset.

I'm leaving this on for a while, while texting my brother. There appears to be a lag when sending messages. Occasionally shows up as "sending" under the messages I've sent.

Not had a delivery report back yet though. And that was about 20 minutes ago when I sent my last two messages. There was also a lag after sending though appears to have sent okay. Should have arrived within the 20 minutes of sending I would imagine. Strange!
Bargainhead30/05/2020 10:17

could you not back up data. then do factory reset..

How would I go about backing up data? I've currently no other device other than this phone to back up data though have been looking round, hoping to get one fairly soon.
nopartylikeansclubparty30/05/2020 13:13

Did the message have emojis on it, sometimes they count as picture …Did the message have emojis on it, sometimes they count as picture messages if that notification is on

No, no emoji's in the message. Get SMS delivery reports was also turned off.
Send a text message to yourself and see how long it takes to arrive and if you get the notification, also try texting after uninstalling AVG because it may be scanning your messages.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 30th May
LemonHead30/05/2020 15:53

How would I go about backing up data? I've currently no other device other …How would I go about backing up data? I've currently no other device other than this phone to back up data though have been looking round, hoping to get one fairly soon.

can you not back up your phone to a google account, or another cloud based service, or connect phone to pc..
i use an iphone and it backs up data then when i reset or get new device it just puts everything back, i would imagine android are the same...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 30th May
PaulandPam30/05/2020 16:08

Send a text message to yourself and see how long it takes to arrive and if …Send a text message to yourself and see how long it takes to arrive and if you get the notification, also try texting after uninstalling AVG because it may be scanning your messages.

I sent two to see how long each would take. Messages arrived roughly three minutes before receiving them back to my phone.

I'll try your other advice at some stage too.
LemonHead30/05/2020 15:55

No, no emoji's in the message. Get SMS delivery reports was also turned …No, no emoji's in the message. Get SMS delivery reports was also turned off.

if there had been emojis in it, even maybe by accident with symbols then it might have got classed as a MMS not sms, are MMS reports off too?

I don't know that phone at all just ruling out possibilities
nopartylikeansclubparty30/05/2020 19:51

if there had been emojis in it, even maybe by accident with symbols then …if there had been emojis in it, even maybe by accident with symbols then it might have got classed as a MMS not sms, are MMS reports off too?I don't know that phone at all just ruling out possibilities

All I can see (in Advanced settings) is Auto download MMS which is switched on.
LemonHead30/05/2020 21:41

All I can see (in Advanced settings) is Auto download MMS which is …All I can see (in Advanced settings) is Auto download MMS which is switched on.

Well I'm stumped then, maybe the phone just had a "moment"... The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you need to turn something off somehow on maybe the 3 app or the avg app...
nopartylikeansclubparty31/05/2020 05:51

Well I'm stumped then, maybe the phone just had a "moment"... The only …Well I'm stumped then, maybe the phone just had a "moment"... The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you need to turn something off somehow on maybe the 3 app or the avg app...

Or uninstall AVG.

My brother was also asking why I need AVG antivirus on my phone and also said the phone should have antivirus already installed. I Googled this and discovered what's called Google Play Detect which regularly checks the phone for potentially harmful apps and harmful behaviour.

support.google.com/goo…853

He was also telling me that too many antivirus apps slow down phones. I did actually Google about this before he mentioned it as well and also discovered what he was saying about antivirus apps slowing devices down alright.

So will uninstall AVG in that case, so should hopefully behave better after doing so.

I also did a restart of my phone last night and left Get delivery reports on though none have occurred since switching it on. It appears my phone may be having more than a moment alright.

Dang nabbit!!
Edited by: "LemonHead" 31st May
Post a comment
@
    Text