Can anyone recomend a pay as you go sim for very low use

Found 6th Mar 2016
I've bought a big button emergency mobile for my mother as a back up.
I need a sim card for phone calls only where the credit won't expire.

She has used about £2 worth of calls in the last few years.

Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
AskPAYGSim
17 Comments
if it is a 3G version the Three 321 sim

EliTom
Original Poster
It is a Doro 607

Seems to be a 2G phone so that rules out Three.
giffgaff credit didnt used to expire, may be different now?
Tesco PAYG
Although it won't interest OP with regards to top up £10 get £20 free this £20 expires after 30 days but the £10 will stay until used.
Edited by: "philphil61" 6th Mar 2016
Original Poster
philphil61

Tesco PAYG Although it won't interest OP with regards top up £10 get £20 f … Tesco PAYG Although it won't interest OP with regards top up £10 get £20 free this £20 expires after 30 days but the £10 will stay until used.

I've found on the Tesco site that your credit never expires,
This sounds like a good option. What network to Tesco use?
Original Poster
Bobbajob

I've found on the Tesco site that your credit never expires,This sounds … I've found on the Tesco site that your credit never expires,This sounds like a good option. What network to Tesco use?

O2, that was easy.
Original Poster
According to This website. Asda credit lasts for 270 days, as opposed to 6 months for Tesco,
I checked yesterday as someone I know is paying 35p a minute for a call on PAYG . I found giffgaff to be the cheapest at 10p per call and 6p per text .
Delight Mobile has the same cheap rate as Three's 3-2-1 plan, whilst also having 2G coverage running on the largest network EE.
Their website is delightmobile.co.uk
Worth contacting them to find out if credit ever expires
Bobbajob

According to This website. Asda credit lasts for 270 days, as opposed to … According to This website. Asda credit lasts for 270 days, as opposed to 6 months for Tesco,

Tesco credit never expires except the free credit ( as per my first comment )
pigthemaster

giffgaff credit didnt used to expire, may be different now?

I think you have to top up every 3 months.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a look at Tesco and asda. Never heard of Delight mobile, but I'll check then out.
dereklogan7

I think you have to top up every 3 months.

​i have a sim with about 70p on I've had at least 5 years still works fine and the mother in law has one she uses for incoming when she visits from France. they advertise you need to but it doesn't expire, at least mine doesnt.
Giff Gaff to increase PAYG Rates, Click Here
Check out the Co-operative Mobile too: payg.thephone.coop/home/

I got Co-op Mobile SIMs for my parents (also low users) when Sainsbury's Mobile closed down.

They charge 8p/min calls (4p/min to other Co-op mobiles), 4p texts (2p to other Co-op mobiles). But importantly, calls are only billed by the second.

With Asda mobile by comparison, who also quote 8p/min calls, they charge a minimum of 8p per call. So if you call someone, it goes to voicemail and you hang up after a couple of seconds, that would cost 8p on Asda Mobile but only 1p on Co-operative. That can make a significant difference to how long your credit lasts.

jco83 mentioned Delight Mobile. I just checked their site and their rates seem better, free Delight-to-Delight calls too.
Edited by: "Donuts123" 9th Mar 2016
ricko

I checked yesterday as someone I know is paying 35p a minute for a call … I checked yesterday as someone I know is paying 35p a minute for a call on PAYG . I found giffgaff to be the cheapest at 10p per call and 6p per text .

Talkmobile is cheaper, 10p to talk for up to an hour, 4p per text. Company is owned by Vodafone and uses their network.
Original Poster
I've now received an ASDA and a Delight sim.

Thanks for your advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants