Can anyone recommed a decent smartphone for a 10 year old...?

Found 27th Oct 2015
Hi there

My 10 year old nephew will be getting a smartphone for Christmas but we're just a bit at a loss as to what to get him. The thing is most of our family are iphone users so we know little about what else is available and how good they are - had an horrendous experience with MIL's Samsung Galaxy Ace so I know there is some carp out there!

He has asked for an iphone 5c but even as an iphone fan myself I cannot recommend this to his parents as it's only available in 8GB now and the price is utterly ridiculous for a 10 year old to have on their person all of the time - plus it's pretty old tech now anyway!

The thing I'm really struggling with is trying to find something powerful and with enough storage (kids burn through storage with apps and music!) but with a smaller form factor for his little hands - I figure from a safety perspective it's safer in his pocket rather than being carried around in his little mits opening him up to being a victim of crime too.

Budget wise I think we're are looking up to £200 really (nearer £150 would be better!) as the monthly running costs also need to be accounted for...

I really like the look of the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 but can't help think it's just too big for him...

Any suggestions..?
Community Updates
Ask
54 Comments
moto e
Moto G
Original Poster
Hi guys and thanks for the suggestions... what is so good about these to put them forward?

The thing is if it doesn't measure up in some respect to what he perceives the iphone to offer (bearing in mind he's fully iphone trained and has his own ipad mini!) then he's going to be pretty disappointed...

Edited by: "buttonpushervic" 27th Oct 2015
He's 10 years old. It'll be broken or stolen within weeks.
Get him something cheap and, by the sounds of things, try to teach him about gratitude.
buttonpushervic

Hi guys and thanks for the suggestions... what is so good about these to … Hi guys and thanks for the suggestions... what is so good about these to put them forward?The thing is if it doesn't measure up in some respect to what he perceives the iphone to offer (bearing in mind he's fully iphone trained and has his own ipad mini!) then he's going to be pretty disappointed...

then your barking up the wrong tree

Iphone users who are used to IOS very often do not like the Android operating system, and dont like the features it has and often complain about it not being like IOS(go figure)

You want to spoil kids with overpriced designer things, they are going to get used to that and want it

you will not find a device for anywhere near what you want to spend, and even if you spent £450, i would imagine it still wouldn't measure up to the Apple brainwash that seems to already be in full flow
Original Poster
Jeez... I think my post has been misinterpreted. I said he had asked for an iPhone and was familiar with their use... I also said it was out of the question due to cost. He is not ungrateful at all but when a child asks for a specific thing then you really want to get them as close to it without breaking the boundaries of cost and sense.

I was honest in my first post by saying I know little about other phone (as does he) so was after some suggestions to fit the criteria... The Vodafone handset I mentioned as looking favourable other than size is hardly a designer label!
Edited by: "buttonpushervic" 27th Oct 2015
buttonpushervic

Jeez... I think my post has been misinterpreted. I said he had asked for … Jeez... I think my post has been misinterpreted. I said he had asked for an iPhone and was familiar with there use... I also said it was out of the question due to cost. He is not ungrateful at all but when a child asks for a specific thing then you really want to get them as close to it without breaking the boundaries of cost and sense.I was honest in my first post by saying I know little about other phone (as does he) so was after some suggestions to fit the criteria... The Vodafone handset I mentioned as looking favourable other than size is hardly a designer label!

My 10 year old nephew wants a real life batmobile and his dog to grow wings for Xmas.
He's going to be so disappointed....
Original Poster
stuarthanley

My 10 year old nephew wants a real life batmobile and his dog to grow … My 10 year old nephew wants a real life batmobile and his dog to grow wings for Xmas. He's going to be so disappointed....

Constructive. Thanks
Get the new Motorola Moto G
With a three mobile pay as you go sim
Very popular phone with microSD slot for adding memory for loads of apps and photos, lots of cases on ebay to fit the phone and no 'monthly fees'

Edited by: "DAMNOME" 27th Oct 2015
without wanting to fuel the debate - either the kid is spoilt and gets an iPhone 6 - which at 10 yo would be a risk IMHO - lost / stolen / mugged for etc etc .....

or teach him the reasons why it is not wise for him to have such a high value item

one option that "looks" similar and is along the lines of the Voda SU6 is the ZTE Blade S6 - smaller and ..... shall we say .... iPhone 6 style

see here

trustedreviews.com/zte…iew

EliTom
Original Poster
DAMNOME

Get him an iPhone then, wouldn't want him to be disappointed. Make sure … Get him an iPhone then, wouldn't want him to be disappointed. Make sure it's not a rubbish iphone 5 though being such old tech.. He'd be laughed out of school.

Apologies - I should have said is old tech now considering the price tag it still carries.
If they have clubcard vouchers they can get a phone in the new boost offer starting 2nd November
Edited by: "DAMNOME" 27th Oct 2015
Original Poster
DAMNOME

If they have clubcard vouchers they can get a phone in the new boost … If they have clubcard vouchers they can get a phone in the new boost offer starting 2nd November

Thanks, I'll pass that on.
Tell the boy to get a paper round and buy his own phone!

A 10 year old with an expensive phone is putting the child at risk of being robbed for the phone.

I'd go for a Nokia lumia. Easy to use and not expensive.
geeksquad.co.uk/art…ids
Microsoft Lumia, They're cheap and perform very well for the money.
I would recommend the Moto G 2015. It is a good phone, at a not too expensive price.
It should be snappier than the iPhone 5c (which is a bit old now and I think it will feel quite slow if he's used to the iPad mini). The Moto G has a bigger screen (5" instead of 4") and has access to most of the apps that he'll want on the phone (conversely, I wouldn't recommend a Nokia Lumia because the Windows app store lacks so much, which I imagine he will really notice due to being used to the App Store on iOS). Finally, the cameras (both front and rear facing) are far better on the Moto G 2015 than the iPhone 5c too.
For a review, see: youtube.com/wat…zc0
Hope this is useful
I don't know much about Moto g but I would say the lumia ...my 10 year old son has my old I phone 4 but all of his friends seem to be getting the lumia - they are all clued up on Windows through school .
I got my son a payg sim but have to turn the data off when out of the house as it manages to eat all he's credit ! I'd prob look into contract deals esp just fot the internet usage
If you're a family of iPhone users, give him one of your old phones. My kids get my old phones and are grateful.
Original Poster
ktm666

If you're a family of iPhone users, give him one of your old phones. My … If you're a family of iPhone users, give him one of your old phones. My kids get my old phones and are grateful.

Unfortunately none of us are looking to swap our phones at present... old phones have always been handed down MIL got my 4S to replace her awful Galaxy Ace!
Maybe the Lumia 635 from carphone Warehouse around 70.00 plus topup. Might also consider getting the ee christmas sim where a 10.00 topup gets 2 months of 100gb data, that should be enough to get music and some apps downloaded.
Get him an iphone. Ignore the negative comments probably come from people jealous that you can afford to get your child decent stuff. I personally dnt think a 10 yr old needs a phone id get him an ipad mini to use in the house and car etc as hel prob lose a phone but getting him an android device woukd be a waste of time as hel likely not like stepping down from ios
Original Poster
123batman321

Get him an iphone. Ignore the negative comments probably come from people … Get him an iphone. Ignore the negative comments probably come from people jealous that you can afford to get your child decent stuff. I personally dnt think a 10 yr old needs a phone id get him an ipad mini to use in the house and car etc as hel prob lose a phone but getting him an android device woukd be a waste of time as hel likely not like stepping down from ios

I totally agree about not thinking a 10 year old needs a smartphone... especially as he has an ipad... I'm just the family 'tech researcher'. I have a 6 month old and have already told the OH how opposed I am to kitting them out with fancy tech so young. My litttle one will most definitely not be playing with apps rather than toys if I have my way - and that's coming from someone who loves gadgets!
123batman321

id get him an ipad mini to use in the house and car etc

Good to see you've read the posts
Id get him an iphone 5 or 5s if its a must he has a phone then. He obviously knows about them if he has ipad so if hes expecting an iphone and gets an android itd feel like being promised a ferrari and gettin a fiat punto lol
DAMNOME

Good to see you've read the posts

Yes i missed the part about him having an ipad already well spotted
Nokia 3510
he's 10...he doesn't need a phone.
he should be schooling and going out to play and staying active.
dbzitb

he's 10...he doesn't need a phone. he should be schooling and going out … he's 10...he doesn't need a phone. he should be schooling and going out to play and staying active.

You forgot to begin your comment with "In my opinion..."

This is not your child.
Nokia 3310. Drop that on the floor and the floor breaks. Also 2 weeks battery life and no one will want to steal it. Safe option.
RossD89

You forgot to begin your comment with "In my opinion..."This is not your … You forgot to begin your comment with "In my opinion..."This is not your child.

We will let Jeremy Kyle be the judge of that X)
Refurbished iPhone 5c on eBay for £150. Job done. He'll get bored of a Windows phone, especially if his friends have android/I phones as the app store is so much smaller.
Original Poster
jdrob123

Refurbished iPhone 5c on eBay for £150. Job done. He'll get bored of a … Refurbished iPhone 5c on eBay for £150. Job done. He'll get bored of a Windows phone, especially if his friends have android/I phones as the app store is so much smaller.

I have no problem at all with refurbished products from Apple themselves but to be honest I'm not keen on the idea of a third party refurb as I would bet my house that they dont really use Apple certified parts! And for a 32GB (which is what I'd look at minimum for a kid who will soon fill anything smaller with apps, music, video and photos) it's closer to £180 for essentially a secondhand phone with limited comeback or guarantee. Thanks for the suggestion though - if it wasn't for a gift I might think differently.
Get an ipod touch
Please let us know what you decide .. If you have a responsible 10 year old what's the prob with having a phone they will be I assume going into high school in sept .. I def prefer my child to have a phone to contact me on .. Good luck with choosing the right phone for them
Oh a last thing about the Moto G, I'd recommend the 16gb version (which also doubles the RAM to 2gb, so it should be a bit snappier) and you can add up to a 32gb SD card on top of that as well
check the kid knows he wont get an iphone
spending loads and just getting a dissapointed 'oh.. not an iphone' is just a waste, may as well get a cheapy and an alternative gift
A lump of coal and an orange, they be the only things that kids should be getting, well thats what my good old gran used to say.

Edited by: "Donkii" 28th Oct 2015
vodafone smart ultra 6 i got this a month or 2 ago really impressed as have all the younger guys in my work that have iphones

shop.vodafone.co.uk/sho…jth
RossD89

You forgot to begin your comment with "In my opinion..."This is not your … You forgot to begin your comment with "In my opinion..."This is not your child.

​nope I didn't
iphone 4

kids need a certain amount of street cred as well, not just adults, he will be respected by his peer group.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants