Expired

Can anyone Recommend a aquarium gravel cleaner Please

Found 13th Jun
Please can anyone help I've been hunting for a while cant find a decent one. Thanks in advance:/
Community Updates
AskAquarium
23 Comments
Hi, Why not ditch the gravel and go for a thin layer of kids play sand, very cheap from Tesco or Argos etc, £3 for large bag, looks far more natural and the fish waste does not get trapped like it does in gravel.

33991421-qwlac.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 13th Jun
SOUTHWALES26 m ago

Hi, Why not ditch the gravel and go for a thin layer of kids play sand, …Hi, Why not ditch the gravel and go for a thin layer of kids play sand, very cheap from Tesco or Argos etc, £3 for large bag, looks far more natural and the fish waste does not get trapped like it does in gravel.[Image]

Thank you I was looking at the sand tbh it does look a lot better I've spent so much on gravel I have x2 170L tanks it's unbelievable I'll look into the sand thank you so much for your advice
Marine or freshwater?
I use one of these: amazon.co.uk/Mar…I7W
Works well, easy to use and cheap enough, I keep looking at the Fluval vac, but not sure its worth the premium.

Dont forget to water your plants with the waste water, its great plant food all that fish waste.
mrty6 h, 1 m ago

Marine or freshwater?

Fresh water I own fancy goldfish
SOUTHWALES12 h, 57 m ago

Hi, Why not ditch the gravel and go for a thin layer of kids play sand, …Hi, Why not ditch the gravel and go for a thin layer of kids play sand, very cheap from Tesco or Argos etc, £3 for large bag, looks far more natural and the fish waste does not get trapped like it does in gravel.[Image]

the sand looks remarkable, is it difficult to setup compared 2 gravel? Looks like sand requires extensive cleaning going by youtube
FUAARRKK22 m ago

the sand looks remarkable, is it difficult to setup compared 2 gravel? …the sand looks remarkable, is it difficult to setup compared 2 gravel? Looks like sand requires extensive cleaning going by youtube

I also looked this up last night it needs a lot of extensive cleaning and have to be careful as u might suck up the sand and sand also leaves a lot of gas where u I would have mix daily as this could kill fish
princesslaing1 h, 7 m ago

Fresh water I own fancy goldfish

Have you got a protein skimmer? What about a catfish or weather loach. They will help keep the bottom clean. They tolerate cool water and live for around 10-15 years. Fascinating fish too and peaceful (won't attack other fish).

Weather Loach
mrty6 m ago

Have you got a protein skimmer? What about a catfish or weather loach. …Have you got a protein skimmer? What about a catfish or weather loach. They will help keep the bottom clean. They tolerate cool water and live for around 10-15 years. Fascinating fish too and peaceful (won't attack other fish).Weather Loach

I currently own 4 Orandas 2 ryukun 1 pearlscale 1 telescope 2 albino corydoras 2 albino loach 1 bristlenose Pleco
FUAARRKK2 h, 57 m ago

the sand looks remarkable, is it difficult to setup compared 2 gravel? …the sand looks remarkable, is it difficult to setup compared 2 gravel? Looks like sand requires extensive cleaning going by youtube

Hi, people make the mistake of thinking you have to rinse it for hours on end, all I do is is put several large scoops in a bucket, fill with water, give it a good mix around and pour of the water then added the sand to the tanksnd keep doing this till I have the required amount of sand, when you fill the tank it will be a little murky but I just put some extra filter wool in my filter and within a few hours the water goes clear, don't waste hours over cleaning the sand and wasting water, let your aquarium filter do the work, this is how I have done it several times over the years. Also keep the sand layer fairly thin, 2 to 3cm should be more than enough, that way to is much easier to clean, all I do when I am doing a partial water change is put my hand in the tank and swish the top layer of sand with my hand to free up any dirt, then remove about 50% of the water and replace with declorinated water, clean out the filter sponge in some of the removed aquarium water, ( very important to do it in removed tank water to keep the beneficial filter bacteria alive ) and then good to go for another 2 weeks.

This is my convict cichlid tank, did have to much play sand in it at first but this will give you an idea.

This was another one I set up with probably a better amount of sand and later stoked with shrimps and apple snails.

I used gravel with all my tanks (see avatar), found it much easier to maintain than sand but then I either heavily stocked my tanks or went bareless, depending on the inhabitants.
Lol. Think we need to have a 'show us your aquarium' thread
SOUTHWALES2 h, 8 m ago

Hi, people make the mistake of thinking you have to rinse it for hours on …Hi, people make the mistake of thinking you have to rinse it for hours on end, all I do is is put several large scoops in a bucket, fill with water, give it a good mix around and pour of the water then added the sand to the tanksnd keep doing this till I have the required amount of sand, when you fill the tank it will be a little murky but I just put some extra filter wool in my filter and within a few hours the water goes clear, don't waste hours over cleaning the sand and wasting water, let your aquarium filter do the work, this is how I have done it several times over the years. Also keep the sand layer fairly thin, 2 to 3cm should be more than enough, that way to is much easier to clean, all I do when I am doing a partial water change is put my hand in the tank and swish the top layer of sand with my hand to free up any dirt, then remove about 50% of the water and replace with declorinated water, clean out the filter sponge in some of the removed aquarium water, ( very important to do it in removed tank water to keep the beneficial filter bacteria alive ) and then good to go for another 2 weeks.This is my convict cichlid tank, did have to much play sand in it at first but this will give you an idea.[Video] This was another one I set up with probably a better amount of sand and later stoked with shrimps and apple snails.[Video]

I've been thinking of restoring my tank which looks like your bottom one for the past few days. What filter and heater are you using? The filter looks massive.

Also how do you prevent the sand from being dislodged? Like what would the general procedure be with restoring an old tank to accomodate the sand substrate? Clean it out with hot water, clean the sand and place it at the bottom, then fill the tank up and set up the heater/filter and also water conditioning?
FUAARRKK34 m ago

I've been thinking of restoring my tank which looks like your bottom one …I've been thinking of restoring my tank which looks like your bottom one for the past few days. What filter and heater are you using? The filter looks massive. Also how do you prevent the sand from being dislodged? Like what would the general procedure be with restoring an old tank to accomodate the sand substrate? Clean it out with hot water, clean the sand and place it at the bottom, then fill the tank up and set up the heater/filter and also water conditioning?

Hi, the filter in the bottom tank is a juwel Rio built in unit, it has since been removed and replaced with a superfish aqua 200 as in the first tank video above. I like the aqua 200 as it is very quiet and easy to clean filter sponge. 150w superfish heaters but this would depend on tank size, for example 1 watt to every litre, so a 200 litre tank would need a 200w heater. The sand does not dislodge as when set it is quite heavy even In water, obviously it can be stared up but quickly settles back to the bottom. As for starting again clean the tank with a new dish sponge and warm water, don't use hot water as this can melt the sealant, also mean the tank glass why still wet, if you leave any algae or other crud to try it is harder to scrub off. Don't use any chemicals such as soap just warm water and sponge. As for declorinated water, I use chlor-go. It is designed for ponds but does the same job if not better as it also removes copper etc. Being for ponds it is far more economical, a 1 litre bottle treats 36,000 litres. So should last about 2 years us depending on tank size as you add 1ml to every 36 litres.

£20 but it does last aong time ebay.co.uk/itm…fvy
SOUTHWALES31 m ago

Hi, the filter in the bottom tank is a juwel Rio built in unit, it has …Hi, the filter in the bottom tank is a juwel Rio built in unit, it has since been removed and replaced with a superfish aqua 200 as in the first tank video above. I like the aqua 200 as it is very quiet and easy to clean filter sponge. 150w superfish heaters but this would depend on tank size, for example 1 watt to every litre, so a 200 litre tank would need a 200w heater. The sand does not dislodge as when set it is quite heavy even In water, obviously it can be stared up but quickly settles back to the bottom. As for starting again clean the tank with a new dish sponge and warm water, don't use hot water as this can melt the sealant, also mean the tank glass why still wet, if you leave any algae or other crud to try it is harder to scrub off. Don't use any chemicals such as soap just warm water and sponge. As for declorinated water, I use chlor-go. It is designed for ponds but does the same job if not better as it also removes copper etc. Being for ponds it is far more economical, a 1 litre bottle treats 36,000 litres. So should last about 2 years us depending on tank size as you add 1ml to every 36 litres.£20 but it does last aong time https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NT-Labs-Koi-Care-Chlor-Go-1L-Pond-Dechlorinator/230591273341?epid=1505170432&hash=item35b04f997d:g:4T0AAOSwx-9Wwfvy

The tank is actually from 2005, but looks to be in fab shape. Do you think it's a bit risky to set up an old tank? Theres no damage anywhere afaik. Also it's 60cm in width and like 30cm in height, I calc'd volume to be 81L. Does that seem reasonable?
For the sand do you recommend a particular brand or type I should buy? Also what would be good starter filter/heater to get me going so I can learn how to maintain along the way before I invest in better mechanisms?

Apart from the dechlorinator, is there anything else that is essential for water treatment? thx very much
FUAARRKK59 m ago

The tank is actually from 2005, but looks to be in fab shape. Do you think …The tank is actually from 2005, but looks to be in fab shape. Do you think it's a bit risky to set up an old tank? Theres no damage anywhere afaik. Also it's 60cm in width and like 30cm in height, I calc'd volume to be 81L. Does that seem reasonable?For the sand do you recommend a particular brand or type I should buy? Also what would be good starter filter/heater to get me going so I can learn how to maintain along the way before I invest in better mechanisms?Apart from the dechlorinator, is there anything else that is essential for water treatment? thx very much

Nothing last forever and one day the sealent will fail but that could be another 15 years, and when it does they usually start with a very slow leak so can be caught in time, superfish aqua flow 200 as it has adjustable output flow, and superfish 100 watt heater. These are available from eBay, just search p&p lowest first to get the best prices. Playsand from Tesco or Sainsbury's are as good as any, they are all child safe so non toxic, if you can try and peep In the bag as some batches of play sand have little black grains In them so don'took as nice in the tank as it look like black bits of dirt, but most suppliers are what looks like pure sand so you should be okay.

Also a lot of people see them as pests but I like to keep red Ramshorn snails in my tanks as they eat algae keeping the glass and decor clean, they also eat fish poo and uneaten fish food, they are also available from eBay just search "red Ramshorn snails" just keep in mind some fish will eat them, snails are so good for cycling a tank as you don't want to put fish in a immature tank, you need to leave the tank to run for a few weeks why the good bacteria build up especially in the filter
SOUTHWALES25 m ago

Nothing last forever and one day the sealent will fail but that could be …Nothing last forever and one day the sealent will fail but that could be another 15 years, and when it does they usually start with a very slow leak so can be caught in time, superfish aqua flow 200 as it has adjustable output flow, and superfish 100 watt heater. These are available from eBay, just search p&p lowest first to get the best prices. Playsand from Tesco or Sainsbury's are as good as any, they are all child safe so non toxic, if you can try and peep In the bag as some batches of play sand have little black grains In them so don'took as nice in the tank as it look like black bits of dirt, but most suppliers are what looks like pure sand so you should be okay.Also a lot of people see them as pests but I like to keep red Ramshorn snails in my tanks as they eat algae keeping the glass and decor clean, they also eat fish poo and uneaten fish food, they are also available from eBay just search "red Ramshorn snails" just keep in mind some fish will eat them, snails are so good for cycling a tank as you don't want to put fish in a immature tank, you need to leave the tank to run for a few weeks why the good bacteria build up especially in the filter.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. So i'll get those, but the thing that im scared of getting wrong is the water treatment. Once I get the sand, heater, filter running, i put some of the water de-chlorinator and then wait how long before introducing fish? The tank looks very sturdy, I think it'll do good for a bit but I'll double check while cleaning it out.

would this 2KG bag suffice in a 60cm wide tank? amazon.co.uk/Amt…and
Edited by: "FUAARRKK" 13th Jun
FUAARRKK1 h, 13 m ago

Thanks very much for the suggestions. So i'll get those, but the thing …Thanks very much for the suggestions. So i'll get those, but the thing that im scared of getting wrong is the water treatment. Once I get the sand, heater, filter running, i put some of the water de-chlorinator and then wait how long before introducing fish? The tank looks very sturdy, I think it'll do good for a bit but I'll double check while cleaning it out.would this 2KG bag suffice in a 60cm wide tank? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtra-A4022046-Fine-White-Sand/dp/B071NHZ5NB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528918914&sr=8-4&keywords=fish+tank+sand

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, you don't need any fancy water treatments. As you say get it up and running how you want it set up, for the good bacteria to grow it will need a food source, this can be from some finally crumbled fish or as I have suggested some water snails such as trumpet snails or red Ramshorn, think of it like this we all produce anomia in our toilet waste, we have the luxury that we can flush it out of our homes and into the sewer, unfortunately fish have to live in there own waste which is high in anomia, this know that biggest killer to let fish, luckily thought there is an aquatic bacteria that eats this amonia in the aquarium, it will naturally develop on all surfaces inside the aquarium including in and on the playsand, decor and glass, but the main place it will thrive is inside the filter where as most of the fish waste will be collected there, but it takes a few weeks for this bacteria to build up in numbers, it will naturally develop as long as you feed the tank with a food source, you can buy bottled amonia from aquatic shops to dose the tank daily and feed the bacteria but it is expensive and not needed, I just use a small pinch of fish food daily or snails it is up to you. Years ago people would buy a couple of cheap fish to mature a tank, but it was and now more so considered cruel as amonia waste burns the fish especially it's gills, so the fish would be living in amonia for a few weeks until the bacteria built up, this is the main reason goldfish from the funfair usually die within days, not because they were unhealthy but they were put in a bowl, goldfish constantly poo and produce waste, the amonia levels go very high and give the fish a slow death, mainly burning it's gills hence the gasping for air until death.

So once the tank has been matured 2 weeks minimun you can slowly add fish, 1 or 2 at time and at least a week apart so the bacteria can play catch up, the more waste the more good bacteria we need, you also don't want to kill the good bacteria so rinse your filter sponge in a bucket of the tank water that you are about to chuck as part of your 2 weekly partial water change, tap water that contains clorine will kill the bacteria so never rinse or clean the filter under the tap.
A mistake Some people have made is they have had there tank running no problem for years, one day they decide to give it a good clean, they put the fish in a bucket and empty the tank and scrub everything, the mistake is that they remove nearly all the good bacteria, they fill the tank back up and add the fish, thinking they have done a good job as they look at there nice clean tank, but then a few days later fish start to die, again the reason being the amonia from multiple fish has gone to high and is killing the fish, there is no way the good bacteria can multiply in time to deal with that much waste, so if you do clean any of the decor in the aquarium always do it in some removed tank water or at least don't clean everything at once.

Don't let all this info put you off as it is not rocket science, bacteria will grow and manage itself it just takes time so patience is all that is needed to be successful. Also keep in mind there are other options besides fish, this is my African clawed frog tank, 4 frogs in total in 80 litre tank. They are totally aquatic so no need for land, live upto 15 years, and are a scavenger so easy to feed, pieces of chicken, fish food, garden worms, anything meaty really.plus much more hardy than fish. They are quite fun to watch.

34002071-y4xSH.jpg
34002071-FSql5.jpg
There are also blue lobster cherax quadricarinatus that are freshwater and very entertaining although should be kept on its own as very territorial. Here is an image of one but it is not mine although I have kept and bred a pair in the past.
34002071-Pu8CY.jpg
Also not for everyone I know but there are invertebrates like apple snail, these grow to the size of a golfball or bigger., although the EU has since banned there import so you would have to buy from a UK breeder.
34002071-WbISE.jpg
FUAARRKK13th Jun

Thanks very much for the suggestions. So i'll get those, but the thing …Thanks very much for the suggestions. So i'll get those, but the thing that im scared of getting wrong is the water treatment. Once I get the sand, heater, filter running, i put some of the water de-chlorinator and then wait how long before introducing fish? The tank looks very sturdy, I think it'll do good for a bit but I'll double check while cleaning it out.would this 2KG bag suffice in a 60cm wide tank? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtra-A4022046-Fine-White-Sand/dp/B071NHZ5NB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528918914&sr=8-4&keywords=fish+tank+sand

34051627-06jHO.jpg
34051763-yaAzn.jpg
34051969-WUEFz.jpg

34051969-TfESM.jpg
There beautiful
Thermometer here

13952157231529402208.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions