Can anyone recommend a cheap decent quality gloss and undercoat?

Found 23rd Jan
Tried using the Aldi Deco stuff but it just cracks in certain places :-( I am tempted to try Wilkos own as it gets decent reviews. Can I get away with a quick sand and a few coats of gloss on a skirting board or is undercoat essential? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I never use anything anymore that’s not dulux trade high gloss, nothing else comes close. It’s harder to work with because it’s thicker but it leaves a perfect finish that doesn’t go yellow.
I use Johnson's acrylic primer undercoat then dulux white satin (better finish as I find high gloss turns a yellow colour after 6 months).
I wouldn't recommend wilkos quick dry its gone yellow in less than 6 months wasn't worth the effort at all.
B&Qs quick dry was even worse in that even after 3 or 4 coats you could still see through it.
In my experience, you get what you pay for with paint. Cheap gloss is a waste of money because you will be repainting before you know it
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 47 m ago

In my experience, you get what you pay for with paint. Cheap gloss is a …In my experience, you get what you pay for with paint. Cheap gloss is a waste of money because you will be repainting before you know it

Agree, don't want to be doing the job twice, what do you do use?
Home base. Satin stay white. Best I’ve used and stays white
Johnsons aqua

Low odour, dries quickly and most importantly, stays white.
I've always used johnstones eggshell rather than gloss as it doesn't leave a thick sticky gloss and always gives a lovely soft finish to all my wood, pretty cheap in b&m too!
chocci2 h, 53 m ago

Johnsons aquaLow odour, dries quickly and most importantly, stays white.

That's great for most but sadly on stair banisters it's chips/flakes very easily.
Cheap gloss usually turns yellow and you’ll have to repaint again which then makes it not so cheap. Trade gloss is more expensive in the short term but cheaper gloss is more expensive in the long term.
.MUFC.3 h, 30 m ago

That's great for most but sadly on stair banisters it's chips/flakes very …That's great for most but sadly on stair banisters it's chips/flakes very easily.

Thats odd as I did my entire stairwell woodwork 3 years ago and hasn't flaked or chipped once. Still looks like the day I did it.
chocci16 m ago

Thats odd as I did my entire stairwell woodwork 3 years ago and hasn't …Thats odd as I did my entire stairwell woodwork 3 years ago and hasn't flaked or chipped once. Still looks like the day I did it.

It gets a lot of abuse in my house, Maybe there are other factors like the undercoat etc, In other areas like the skirting boards and doors it's been fantastic and stayed white.
Yet another hit and run op
Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments
Little Green Paint Company. Flat Oil Eggshell
chocci10 h, 28 m ago

Yet another hit and run op

Oops would you like polish with that shoe leather.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants